Clark Gable

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Rita Hayworth

Re: Clark Gable

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MissGoddess wrote:Gable is electrifying. I really think he is at his best in highly physical roles and in outdoor settings. He is too held-back in interior settings, which MGM kept him to for the most part. It isn't necessarily what he's doing (lots of stunts, sword fights, etc), it's the freedom that comes from a bigger setting that seems to unleash his energy. This proved true right up to his last highly demanding physical role in The Misfits
Interesting!
JackFavell wrote:I think you are so right, MissG! He's so physically commanding, even when all he's doing is standing with his hands on his hips, elbows out. I defy anyone to cross past Gable in that stance, if Gable didn't want them to. He's overwhelmingly strong. And I mean strong as a presence, not as a measure of health. He has an underlying vitality, a massive power behind his actions that we want to see unleashed.
Miss Goddess and Jack Favell ... I seen dozens of his films ... and I never noticed that until these two posts pops up in my mind. I was stunned by all this ... thanks for sharing this and I agree with both of you on this. He does commands a presence in all outdoor settings ... indoors cramps his style!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The King was rugged. The story could take place in a modern day setting. But his character would be a test pilot, a wildlife photographer, an oil driller. Clark Gable does not sit in an office! Directors Jack Conway and Tay Garnett tapped into that presence with great results. TOO HOT TO HANDLE, HONKY TONK and the wonderful CHINA SEAS make the lifestyle alone fun to watch. His work with Victor Fleming goes without saying.

John Wayne was pretty much the same way. Rarely cast in a modern, non-military environment, when he was it was likely the story of firefighters, big game hunters, pilots. There was the occasional TROUBLE ALONG THE WAY. But that was a rare detour from THE BIG TRAIL. As I compare these two large, imposing figures, I can't help but think they were, give or take, the biggest movie stars ever! What does this mean? Who knows!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Red, Wayne's career was what I had in mind, too. I wish Gable had done more westerns.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I love the story of Gable's first screen test. Studio executives were just about to throw it out. Then a secretary got a look!

I wish Gable had done more westerns.

This gives me an excuse to recommend the likeable LONE STAR! The climax is kind of a mindless shoot out. But the set-up, development and um...history (?) unfold in delightful fashion. It's a fun little ride.
feaito

Post by feaito »

April, Is that Tippi Hedren on your avatar?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Red, it's nice to see a fan of Lone Star, though I confess I've been disappointed by it the two times I saw it, but it's been a while. Maybe I just expect more from a movie with two stars like Gable and Ava Gardner, plus Brod!

Yes, Feo, that's 'Tippi'. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

She looks very pretty.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"But Not For Me" has shown up on Retroplex lately and I got a chance to watch it. Some of your everyone's older comments ring pretty true especially that nearly all of you haven't seen in awhile. I haven't either and remember almost nothing about it.

It was a role that fit Gable well. Lilli Palmer was wonderful and pretty much stole the movie. It was nice to see a congenial role for Lee J. Cobb too. Carroll Baker was fine as the young lady.

It is a comedy of sorts but not one that generates laughs as much as it is a good natured film. It is satisfying enough though it will not make anyone's best list.

What I like about Gable here is his vanity and then lack of it. He spends most of the movie denying his real age while initially still feeling himself too old for someone like Baker. He comes around though only to come to a realization that of how old he really is. The good sport in him allows a young picture of himself turn up and in a way tries to convince himself that he is still that guy. He comes to realize he is not. "I am 56 years old" he proclaims. Knowing now there is nothing to be done about it.

Those of you who have been looking for it check the Retroplex schedule and maybe it will still be around.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."