John Wayne, Lest We Forget

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: John Wayne, Lest We Forget

Post by pvitari »

Alas, John Wayne: The Epic Collection is NOT a mega blu-ray set, it's a mega-standard DVD set, which is why nobody I know is particularly excited about it. All 40 movies in the set have previously been released on DVD so unless you want all those titles in a handy box with some extra gift goodies like a book and a Duke belt buckle -- it's just not that big a deal.

Some of the titles have been released already on Blu-ray which means that buying the box means probably a triple-dip on some of the titles, after buying them first on DVD and Blu-ray in the past. Or even more dips, if you bought them on VHS and/or laser disc too! ;) But why would you want to buy it again on DVD when you already have a Blu-ray? The set will make a nice Christmas or birthday present for someone who doesn't already have all these movies and isn't interested in Blu-ray. (Shoot, even my parents -- 86 and 90 years old -- are about to go Blu-ray.) :)

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

hahahahahaahaa!!! your grandparents are going to have blu-ray before me!!!

thanks for clearing that up. does anyone know what the schedule is for Eyman? I need to look at my "Now Playing" guide, for goodness sake.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

My grandparents will have blu-ray only if it's up in heaven, cuz they all went there years ago. Nope, it's my young at heart parents who are going big screen and blu-ray! Rental that is, they don't buy movies, unlike me, who is up to my neck in heaps of VHS tapes, laser discs, DVDs and blu-rays. In fact, I think they're interested in streaming. Mom was happy to hear that you can buy blu-ray players with many platforms (Amazon, Netflix, etc.) included.

I sure do wish that Chisum and The Train Robbers would be released on blu-ray. C'mon Warner Bros., help us out!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I didn't even have DVD until five years ago. I was on VHS. And running out of material!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Scott Eyman, the author of the well-received, just published biography John Wayne: The Life and Legend (Simon & Schuster) is on NPR tomorrow, April 8th. Scott, a former guest author here, will be the guest of The Diane Rehm Show in the second hour of the live program (that's 11am ET) and will most likely answer questions from callers too. More below and a podcast of the show will also be at this link 24 hours after the show has aired.
http://thedianerehmshow.org/
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Did anyone catch Eyman discussing Wayne on TCM? I totally forgot to tune in prior to the film(s). :( :(
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I am so peeved that I missed this appearance too. Is Scott Eyman supposed to be on tonight as well?

UPDATE: I just learned that Scott Eyman is introducing the Wayne films tonight too!!

BTW, this interview with Scott Eyman about Wayne is pretty interesting:[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

thank you! i will try to watch this video on the bus home and will definitely try to catch him tonight. my favorite wayne AND ford movie was last night (TMWSLV), so i'm really P.O.'d that i missed what he may have had to say about it. :evil:
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Maybe these intros will appear on the TCM feed on youtube so we can catch up with them. The films shown last night were among my favorites too so I am really vexed that I missed it.

I posted a request on the Turner Classic Movies youtube channel asking for these to be posted. Xrossing my fingers that it might happen.

Maybe some kind soul who saw it will post a description of the comments made in this thread?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote:Maybe these intros will appear on the TCM feed on youtube so we can catch up with them. The films shown last night were among my favorites too so I am really vexed that I missed it.

I'm desperately hoping TCM will do that. If they took the time to film these intros, it would seem they would be worth making available online.

Maybe some kind soul who saw it will post a description of the comments made in this thread?

Yes, please, anyone!
-- Will Rogers
tinker

Post by tinker »

Thanks for posting the interview that is there.

Its rather nice hearing from someone who wrote about Wayne and actually liked him. Didn't overlook the bad bits but was not making a "statement".

I enjoyed the book and found it very easy going to read, with for once interviews with people who had not been publicly interviewed before. Always a bonus instead of rehashing other people's books.

Sometimes, I think, people writing about Wayne get sucked into the legend and present themselves as the 'hero" by "defeating" Wayne and telling the "truth" or the opposite of somehow being on his "side" and making themselves Wayne's defender. This book seems a gentler way of contextualising Wayne in the times he lived.

A propos of this, I have to say my politics were always so far left of Wayne, I would not have even been in the same state as him and I could never understand what was freaking out people so much with the Hollywood red scare. Excuse the pun but the 'red scare' was always very black and white to me about who were good guys and bad guys. However after travelling around south east Asia last year I did alot of reading which included learning more about the communist intellectuals coming out of Paris after World War 1. When you see and try to understand what happened in Asia ( and I'm ashamed to admit how little I had read about their history before the Vietnamese war previously) it does not excuse some behaviour or some people making power grabs using the scare as an excuse but it does put the 'red scare' in perspective and explain what all the panic was about.

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Before you take it down, I just had to tell you Miss G., that your current avatar from "STAGECOACH" is your most evocative avatar yet. Nice. You always seem to find such interesting 'moments.'

"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

That movie has such visual poetry! I don't REALLY know what that means, but it makes me sound smart!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Scott Eyman to visit the SSO in May! More here on our site: http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... =90&t=6659

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Scott Eyman will also be at a book panel at this year's John Wayne Birthday celebration, May 23-24 in Winterset, Iowa. Also at the panel: Glenn Frankel, author of The Searchers: The Making of An American Legend, Lana Wood (who played little Debbie in The Searchers) and Aissa Wayne, John Wayne's daughter. Dan Ford, John Ford's grandson is invited, but no word yet if he will attend. Eyman will also autograph copies of his new Wayne bio.

I plan to attend this year's birthday celebration and I am REALLY looking forward to the book panel! :)

http://johnwaynebirthplace.museum/birth ... .html#book