John Wayne, Lest We Forget

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: John Wayne, Lest We Forget

Post by pvitari »

A lovely tribute to John Wayne in Cowboy and Indians magazine (July 2009 issue).

http://www.cowboysindians.com/art-enter ... /wayne.jsp

(The magazine for the discriminating, upscale cowpoke... the ads in that mag make me drool!) :)
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Anyone looking for John Wayne memorabilia? :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Wayne-ultimate ... 664wt_1139
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm bringing this thread back from never-never land because I know I saw the question somewhere about how John Wayne spent the war years. I knew I had the answer, but I couldn't back it up, and it's taken me this long to find it. It's a direct quote from Herb Fagen, who compiled comments from the Dukes co-workers, friends and family in a book named Duke, We're Glad We Knew You."

. . . "When war broke out, Duke tried to enlist but was rejected because of an old football injury to his shoulder, his age (3er), and his status as a married father of four. He flew to Washington to plead that he be allowed to join the Navy but was turned down. So he poured himself int the war effort by making inspirational war films - The Flying Seabees, Back to Bataan, and They Were Expendable."

The main reason I thought of it is because I'm still playing catchup with my DVD's of the Dukes movies, which I try to watch at least one every weekend.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

American Cowboy has just published a special collector's edition magazine honoring John Wayne.

If you can't find it at your newsstand, you can order a copy at http://horsebooksetc.com/products/John_ ... 39-71.html

Beautiful cover!

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Gorgeous picture. I wonder what "the ultimate John Wayne vacation" is?
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

The Quiet Man:

I chose this particular thread because in it, we discuss an awful lot of the Duke's different movies. I've held off watching The Quiet Man for a while now because I love it, and want it to stay fresh each time I turn it on. My question is, after all these years, why hasn't this great movie ever been upgraded to letterbox? Or did TCM just show an old copy tonight? With the Duke being so unknown for Stagecoach, and throughout the 40's doing so many formula war movies, I can understand him not being acknowledged by the academy, but I truly believe he was cheated on this one in 1952. He played a whole gambit of emotions in this from comedy to heavy drama. Watching his face during the boxing scene where his opponent died showed his growth from things like Randy Rides Alone (a 78 minute quickie from about 1936 or so). I agree with, I think it was knitwit, who said the scene in the rain at the old church ruins, is still one of the most sexy, and romantic love scenes ever filmed. All those silly little movies were a great training ground for him, and he did perfect his craft, it's just a shame nobody realized it until it was almost too late.

Back to my question though. Has The Quiet Man been done in letterbox to sharpen it up, especially considering the green, green Irish countryside?

Thanks
Anne

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Quiet Man fans have been longing for a much needed restoration on this film, but for whatever
reason it hasn't yet happened. I keep hoping it will, it's such a popular film I can't understand
how it wouldn't merit a real clean up. So many other movies get restored and re-released many
times over, and I bet they don't even sell as well as this film does.

Let's hold a good thought that the powers that be are working on it.

P.S. Not sure about letter boxing...I think this film was shot in what they call "Academy Ratio",
not a wide screen process (which Ford did not care for). I'm no expert, though. Lynn probably
knows.
-- Will Rogers
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

MissG,

Thanks for the kind words. I, too, enjoyed watching The Quiet Man this afternoon. (Lord knows, Maureen O'Hara's brothers are beautiful to look at but Wayne is astoundingly sexy in this film).

The film was shot in 1951 and was, indeed, done in Academy Ratio thus it shouldn't be shown letterboxed as it wasn't shot for that ratio.

As you said, fans have been hoping and praying for a proper restoration of this beautiful film (I think this one, SWAYR and The Searchers may be Ford's best use of technicolor). Part of it has to do with rights. For years, Paramount owned the rights having bought the Republic library.

Today, the rights are, I believe, owned by Lions Gate.

It is a real pity that this film is not owned by Warners as I believe George Feltenstein would have made this one a priority for restoration.

All we can do is hope that someone at Lions Gate wises up and realizes what they have.

Hoping, hoping, hoping......
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thank you Ladies:

I know TCM always uses the best copy they can get so that's why I was puzzled by this one. I only used the term letterbox to specify the better grade of picture you get with it. I'm not at all familiar with those ratio terms, and this is actually the first time I ever heard the word 'academy' in terms of a filming process. I agree Miss Goddess that this has to be one of the most popular films ever made in any genre, that's why I asked if anyone knew why it hadn't been upgraded yet. Whoever owns it would probably be quite happy with sales figures for a refreshed film. I say "Give it to Gene Autry's company, those people make his old 1930's films look like brand, spanking new."

Back in the day, when I was still working, there was a phrase that people used saying, "If you need it done quick and right, give it to Anne". Around here at SSO, poor Lynn has that distinction, especially for technical info, and she always comes through.
Anne

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I am so ready for this. December 14 is the date. :)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Info for the 2011 birthday celebration is now posted.

http://www.johnwaynebirthplace.org/
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Latest news re the birthday celebration... Claude Jarman Jr. will be the guest of honor at the benefit dinner.

http://www.johnwaynebirthplace.org/birthday/
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

John Wayne,

The Searchers, Yellow Ribbon, Stagecoach, True Grit, Longest Day, Green Berets, Flying Tigers, Sands of Iwo Jima, and so many Westerns and War Movies to his credits its laughable. The greatest, single greatest Action Hero of all Time ... to me, I love John Wayne ... my favorite Western is True Grit and my favorite War Movie is The Green Berets. The Duke embodied the American Spirit like no other actor before him, during his time, and after. He commands a TOUR DE FORCE presence on the Screen ... he always lights up the screen.

I'm hard of hearing ... his voice is just perfect for me to follow along as the movie progresses - I find him easy to listen to from start to finish. - I happen to own a copy of this photo - inherited from a Marine friend that passed away in 1978.

He is one of those larger than life characters
Attachments
Greatest Action Hero of all Time
Greatest Action Hero of all Time
WayneDuke.jpg (43.34 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Some how I missed the birthday celebration post - I am going to be in Iowa for a family reunion at the beginning of July! Dang! My timing is off.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Have you all seen the tribute on TCM by Harry Carey, jr? Is it new or revamped? I swear I never saw it until this past week or I'm losing my mind.
-- Will Rogers