John Barrymore

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pktrekgirl
Administrator

John Barrymore

Post by pktrekgirl »

Well, I've been watching a few John Barrymore pictures recently...the two most recent being Topaze (which came on TCM about a month ago) and Counselor-at-Law...which I purchased on DVD.

I'd seen others, of course - mainly 'the usuals' like Dinner at Eight, Grand Hotel, etc.

But I really quite enjoyed these recently seen films, and would like to chat more about John Barrymore and perhaps get some recommendations for future viewing that are not among the 'standards' which most people have seen.

Also, I would like to say that Counselor-at-Law was a great picture. Not only because of John Barrymore, but also because of Bebe Daniels, who came doggone near to stealing the show a couple of times.

Thoughts, comments on Barrymore?
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

I strongly recommend the 1920 Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. A great performance by Barrymore, and it's better than either the 1931 or 1941 versions.
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

I just ordered "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" on VHS and mostly because of this description.

"Atmospheric and truly macabre, this surprisingly contemporary horror classic is famous for the way John Barrymore, with minimal makeup, used only facial distortion to transform himself. He was so successful that the unprepared cameraman nearly fainted."

Can't wait to see it! I also suggest watching "The Beloved Rogue" because his character is sly and funny.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi PK! I don't know why I overlooked this topic until now! I forget sometimes to scroll down.... :roll:

I'm so glad you enjoyed Counsellor-at-Law! I can watch that film over and over and discover so many rapidly fired lines I missed.

I really want to see as many of his films as I can, because he's one of those like Garbo, who seemed to influence and awe everyone that followed him for decades. I believe Tracy based his approach to Jekyll & Hyde on John's own ideas. I would love to see that 1920 version and I truly wish a decent box set of the man's work could be released. The Barrymore name alone ought to be something the marketing people could play around with. Too bad his descendant, Drew, doesn't seem to give a hang about bringing attention to her predecessors.

Have you seen Twentieth Century? It's often regarded as the first of the screwball comedies.

It was discussed in another thread---here or at the "other" board---that Rasputin and the Empress was a misfire and I speculated that it's because the role of Rasputin went to Lionel instead of John, who was the first choice to play him. John was a natural for such parts but I think MGM wanted the good looking Barrymore to stay out of make-up. ;)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I also wanted to say a word about Grand Hotel---I think this is one of John's most overlooked performances, perhaps because many think it's just another in a long line of self-parodies or because it's overshadowed by his work in Dinner at Eight and by his leading lady, Garbo. He's great in Dinner @ 8 but I find more poignancy and less to dislike about his Baron than the "ham actor". I think he was, deep down, more like the Baron---a deeply sensitive man, an idealist, and a real gentleman. Hardly anyone ever got to see that side of him as he got older (and drunker) but Garbo did, and in rare flash of admiration for a fellow actor, she claimed he was the only true gentleman in Hollywood.

Their teaming is in my opinion the best of all of Garbo's. She never had a leading man so perfectly suited to her, in depth of feeling, skill and presence. John Gilbert was pale, pale shadow in comparison. And, in turn, I have yet to see him with a leading lady so perfect for him.

But before I finish this long-winded post, I want to add that I think his scenes with Joan Crawford and Lionel Barrymore---and the dachshund!---are equally brilliant and touching. The very real affection between the brothers is evident, finally, on screen, though in real life, it was the steadier personality of Lionel who often felt protective toward John.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

"Twentieth Century" was a great movie. He's also very good in a different way in "Bill of Divorcement." He's supposed to be insane and for some actors, that might have been like giving them a blank check for over-the-top lunacy, but he underplays and its amazing. He's like a hurt little boy.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Sorry I didn't see this until now, MissG! I didn't post for several days, and just saw it now!

I have not seen Twentieth Century. Although I just purchased the DVD and it is in my 'to-be-viewed' pile. It will probably be the next John Barrymore film I see...although Rasputin and the Empress is also in my stack. I'm generally not bothered about that one perhaps not being up to snuff - I really want to see all of the Barrymores together...and as a student of Russian history, I'm also interested in the story itself.

It might be a while before I get to Twentieth Century, but when I get to it, I'll post about it in this thread.

Counselor-at-law was excellent, as you said it would be. Thanks for suggesting that one - I made it a priority and was not disappointed. In fact, it turned me into a Bebe Daniels fan as well!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

PK----I'm so glad you enjoyed CatL!! And do let me know what you think about Rasputin since you know about Russian history---isn't it fascinating? Relating to that--have you read LarryVecchio's latest juicy tidbit in "Refugee Gallery of Characters" regarding the Romanov's and some royal jewels?

Miss G
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

traceyk wrote:"Twentieth Century" was a great movie. He's also very good in a different way in "Bill of Divorcement." He's supposed to be insane and for some actors, that might have been like giving them a blank check for over-the-top lunacy, but he underplays and its amazing. He's like a hurt little boy.
Hi Tracey! I haven't watched Bill of Divorcement in a looooong time. I think I'd better record it the next time TCM airs it. I know he was the best thing in it. :)

traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Do! Do record it. Barrymore really is terrific. You can almost understand why the daughter wants to take care of him--mothering him, really. Nobody stone me for this, but I thought Hepburn was interesting, but not all that good, acting-wise.Oh well. She got better.

Tracey
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

traceyk wrote:Do! Do record it. Barrymore really is terrific. You can almost understand why the daughter wants to take care of him--mothering him, really. Nobody stone me for this, but I thought Hepburn was interesting, but not all that good, acting-wise.Oh well. She got better.

Tracey
I saw it many years ago and remember Barrymore vividly as being particularly moving. And I won't stone you, I think with only a few exceptions her early performances tended to be grating on my nerves.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

I've seen all Hepburn's movies with the exception of "Trojan Woman" and "Madwoman of Chaillot" and in her early films (except "Little Women" and "Alice Adams") she's hard to watch. Or maybe it's just that the material hasn't aged well. And I don't think she always played herslef--maybe towards the end, but she's definitely not playing Hepburn in "LOng Days Journey into Night" or "Suddenly Last Summer."

Tracey
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Summertime is my favorite Hepburn performance. She really moves me as the spinster on holiday with her illusions.

traceyk

Post by traceyk »

I know what you mean about "Summertime." Her whole life (such as it is) is a tragedy. So vulnerable, especially the scene you've pictured. The way she immediately withdraws into her shell the minute anyone seems to be rejecting her. And then to think she's found true love and the guy is married..! It's like the scene where she's completely breathless with the beauty of Venice and someone dumps a load of garbage into the canals right in front of her. Loved that enterprising little boy, though.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Pktrekgirl,

I also thought that "Counselor-at-Law" was a hidden gem when I first watched it, but then William Wyler is also my all-time favorite Director :wink: .

Of Barrymore's films which might not be considered his standard, better known movies like "Grand Hotel", "Dinner at Eight" or "Twentieth Century", I'd definitely recommend to you the Silent drama "Tempest", an absolutely engrossing film set in the time of the last days of Czarist Russia. It's on DVD. "The Beloved Rogue" is also very good.

Another amusing films of his are "Long Lost Father" (1934) and of course that comedic masterpiece "Midnight".