Ben Johnson

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by MissGoddess »

I bet he prefers that mode of communication. I know I do, but have all but given it up for having few people to exchange letters with. I used to send cards, make my own stationary, even to people I saw in school every day.

I kind of feel sorry if kids today grow up never having experienced that.

Now, back to Ben. :D

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, I love that photo! They look sweet. Look how endearingly Ben is holding, is it Carroll? I forget.... And I would kill to have skin as tight and young looking as Dobe Carey's apple cheeks...

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yes, Carroll Baker. They all look terrific. I love that one you posted, too. So handsome! Yes, I will be checking back here REGULARLY, lol!
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ms.G, could you clue us in on the photo of Ben and Carroll Baker? He looks like he's smitten.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I can't believe we're all such big fans of Ben Johnson yet have never directed a thread only to him. LzCutter has been teasing me for at least more than a year since she learned about my crush. I, too, did not want to start a thread because I didn't want to bore anyone with my gushings about Ben like I do about MItchum. I figure I should try to hold it down to one.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

knitwit45 wrote:Ms.G, could you clue us in on the photo of Ben and Carroll Baker? He looks like he's smitten.

Hi Nancy!

I only know the picture was taken at the 1995 Cannes Film Festival. What brought these Ford film stars together I'm not sure, maybe our Mrs Johnson knows.

Ben was in Ford's Cheyenne Autumn, which starred Carroll Baker, so maybe it was the first time they'd seen each other since then. :)
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks, it's a great picture, but thinking of our shy guy in Cannes is a stretch... :)
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote:Thanks, it's a great picture, but thinking of our shy guy in Cannes is a stretch... :)
For sure, I doubt you'd've found him hanging out with Bob Mitchum & his "beach baby" girlfriend!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't know much of anything about the 1995 Cannes event - but they got the stars together for some kind of John Ford tribute. I am sure that MissG is correct - they probably hadn't seen each other since Cheyenne Autumn.

Dobe Carey has said over and over that Ben was extremely popular with the ladies.... maybe because he was so attentive. 8)

There is no record though that he ever had eyes for anyone other than his wife Carol. Dobe says that on different movie locations, Ben was always dying to get home to her.

Here is a page of photos posted by Ben's cousin by marriage Doug O'Neal. There is one picture of Carol, taken in 1987. I have never been able to track down any other photos of her:

http://dougoneal.com/ben_johnson.html
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

LzCutter has been teasing me for at least more than a year since she learned about my crush.

Anne,

I think it's longer than that. Remember the party at the Classic Cinema College Party with you, Bob and Coach Johnson?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, mrsl! Does that mean you've had your crush longer than me? I thought I had it bad..... :D :D :D
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Jacks,

Check out the Classic Cinema College forum where much of Anne's love for both men is on display.

And guess who wins?

Unfortunately, the threads aren't in order but they do make for a fun read.

Their big romance:
http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... f=20&t=205

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.j ... 3&#7911533

Shortly after that last post, the college, with the help of the ever magical Uncle Walt Disney, mysteriously left TCM City and after a short stint at a motorcourt/refugee camp, the college landed here at the Oasis.

Should you like to read the adventures of the College at TCM City (the thread was much too long to repost here):

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.j ... 1&#7814771

One of these days we should get inspired and truly take Anne's lead and revive the thread.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Regarding the Cinema College, let's put it this way: I tried to take a lead, but nobody got in behind me to form a train. But with Moira with her TCM blog and lzcutter with her Las Vegas site, it's hard to make time to create another mythical school of learning.
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

It is my sincere hope that we can revive this thread. It has provided us with many laughs and some very creative writing by all who participated.

Perhaps we can talk some of the new folks to join us in this endeavor? Feel free to jump in and don't be afraid to jump into the deep end.

I know many of us have been busy with real life but there should always be time for whimsy and I promise I will try to be more whimsical this year.

Thank you so much for keeping the light on in this thread.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

It occurred to me that Ben died two years after his wife which doesn't surprise me in the least. After 60 years, my Dad died just 3 years after Mom. I guess after all that time together happily, you feel like a part of you is missing. They may call it a heart attack, but I expect it was more of a heart broken.

Great photos by the way. I don't care for men with beards, but there is one there of Ben that's . . . . well.
Anne