Ben Johnson

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
klondike

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by klondike »

Alright, alright, enough with the lace curtains & doilies . .
. . gettin' so a man's gotta run the pump & dust his britches 'fore he can step-up the porch . . . . !
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm beginning to worry.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Is that a quote from a Ben movie, Klonny, or are you getting tired of all this adoration? :lol:

It sounds like the sort of grumbling that Pepper gave out with in Chisum.....
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

That "river imagery" is spot on. you have an wonderful eye!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Those are terrific photos. I, too, wish I had seen Wagon Train at some time. Maybe I was too young the last time it was on, or it was on some channel that I don't have. Hopefully, since Encore Westerns is around, maybe they will come up with it.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Anne - The Wagon Master dvd was just released last year, and is available for around twelve dollars if you look around for it. At Amazon, it's somewhere between sixteen and eighteen dollars.

I'm afraid I wasn't very clear. Wagon Master is the 1950 John Ford film that the TV show Wagon Train was based on. Ward Bond was in both the movie and the TV show, though Ben Johnson was only in the movie. I haven't seen the TV show at all, though I would like to catch a glimpse of it someday.

It's kind of surprising that Ben never made a guest appearance on Wagon Train... but that's life, I guess.

Wagon Master (the movie) does appear on TCM occasionally - as my screen caps will attest.... :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, lets start a write in campaign to TCM to show this ASAP! From all the posts I've read here about the movie, it is simply a "have to see it SOON" film.

And Mr Klondike, you'd better wash up and dust off a'fore you step into more than just a parlor 8)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Jack Favell:

I knew something was off kilter when I typed the words Wagon Train, but couldn't make out what it was. Actually I watched Wagon Train every week. It was one of those shows that had different people on it every week. If I'm correct, when Ward Bond passed away, John McIntyre took his place, and I think it was Robert Horton who was the scout, though I could be wrong about him.

Knitwit:

For you and for Ben, I may break down and request Wagon Master to be shown, but I don't like to deal with the TCM boards anymore. For me it's extremely rare to carry a grudge, but after two years, I still resent the way TCM treated the requests of all of us loyal members in regard to a member who was a thorn in all of our sides. I have gone over there to see Moira's blogs and sneak around a little, but the majority of calibre of people I see there are not grown up enough for me. I don't want to get started on her, but TCM didn't even have the decency to respond to my plea to do something about her before she caused people to leave. But now I'm grateful to her because we now have this marvelous care-free site to visit with mature, and intelligent folks with which we can correspond.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Anne -

Not to butt in, but unfortunately, nothing has changed to remedy that SAME situation.

Luckily, I came over here for some respite. The mods are wonderful. You all are SO much more welcoming and nice to chat with, and it's great to know that the person you are speaking to is genuine and has a real love of movies, and more importantly, Ben Johnson!
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

LOVELY caps of Wagon Master little Ms Favell... (flows like a river... spot on, kiddo) And I think that in that one he gets my vote for "Best looking Ben". OH golly... it's cetainly among his most endearing roles anyway. (So much so in fact that I think I am ALMOST swayed... but not quite... from my MOST fave "Ben" of all... I know... gasp... hard to believe isn't it?? ha)

But alas... ha.. Mighty Joe Young will still always have first place in my heart.. I guess it is just my sentimental favorite as it is the first one I ever recall seeing w/ Ben. And also (due to the stepsons and the kidling and the grandkidlings all liking it too over the years.. ha... I have more than likely SEEN it more than any of the other Ben films as well. :lol: So although some of the westerns (especially the Fordies) are likely better films overall... I still gotta go w/ the Big Monkey movie as my Fave Ben film of all time.... even now... it's just been in my heart longer.. ha. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, my friend! How are you? I was waiting for you to get here.

Here is a publicity pic from Mighty Joe Young. I don't think I posted it at the other site.

rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Hey there little gal... thanks for the MJY pic.... Ben is beaming that "aw shucks ma'am" half smile at us. (sigh)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I got more....

I hope these aren't too big...
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I hope these aren't too big...
are you KIDDING???????

fill'er up :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops:
JackFavell