Ben Johnson

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by pvitari »

This doesn't quite make up for missing Shane when I didn't go to the TCM festival last year but it helps. :)

Just announced: TCM film festival will screen a new restoration of Oklahoma!

"A world premiere restoration of Oklahoma! (1955), introduced by Oscar-winning actress Shirley Jones, will be the official opening night red carpet presentation.

"This unique 4k presentation, painstakingly restored from 65mm Todd-AO elements by Twentieth Century Fox and Fotokem, will be screened at 30 frames per second—the same frame rate as when the film was originally released in 1955. The original 6-track soundtrack has also been restored and re-mastered at Twentieth Century Fox, in collaboration with End Point Audio and Chase Audio by Deluxe."

Sweet!

Ben worked on Oklahoma! as stuntman, doubling for Rod Steiger in the runaway wagon sequence, wrangler and extra. He also rented cattle to the production. You can see him clearly in the opening minutes of the "Kansas City" number and in the scene where everyone runs to Jud's shack after they hear gunshots. You can see publicity photos of him in the "Kansas City" number here (https://benjohnsonfanpage.shutterfly.co ... allery/274) and here (https://benjohnsonfanpage.shutterfly.co ... ry/274#275).

This is a publicity picture from the movie; unfortunately I only have this tiny version I found online. It's a curious bit of publicity as Ben did not have an actual role in the film and is not seen playing the accordion in it. In fact as far as I know he didn't play any musical instruments.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

The Ben page has turned a romantic red color for Valentine's Day and the new banner photo is Ben and Joanne Dru from Wagon Master.

Also posted for Valentine's Day, a picture of Ben and his wife Carol at a 1987 event -- alas, don't know which one.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Another pic of Ben from that 1987 event.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Here's a press photo of Ben from the 1974 TV movie Locusts. Someone trimmed off most of the left border and there are all kinds of writing ("return to TV Desk," etc.) and notifications on the back including a snipe which reads:

Ben Johnson is hurt and disappointed when Ron Howard, his only son, is discharged from the military for psychiatric reasons in "Locusts" on the ABC Television Network's 'Wednesday Movie of the Week." OCT. 9 (8:30-10:00 p.m., EDT)

This scan is bigger than the photo itself, which is approximately 5 x 3 1/2.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Publicity still for Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color two-part episode Ride a Northbound Horse, based on the young adult novel by Richard Wormser. I have several stills (B&W and color) from this production for this week. :)

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MIGHTY JOE YOUNG 1949 FILM

The main reason for me to watch this movie is the amazing special effects that was created by stop-motion special effects by Willis O'Brien and Ray Harryhausen that still continues to hold up well after all these years. I know most of you are aware (I'm watching it with the color effects right now of where Ben Johnson and Terry Moore) are saving the children from burning building shows how thrilling it is to watch. This is one my favorite Ben Johnson films.

This is one of my favorite scenes in this movie, Terry Moore playing Beautiful Dreamer ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mOdWLG4bNU

It's a delightful film and I never get tired of watching it.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I assume you watched Mighty Joe Young when they broadcast it on TCM the other day. :)

The special effects are what makes it special, I suppose, but it's pretty much a complete package for me. It's not just the jaw-dropping (to this day) SFX (far more gripping than CGI in my opinion) but the personality and humanity with which Harryhausen and his crew imbued Joe the gentle giant. The characters are all lots of fun to spend time with, there's plenty of action, suspense, pathos, comedy and romance, and a cute little gag at the end with Ben roping Terry in the home movie and Robert Armstrong being startled when Joe appears on screen. Plus Frank McHugh's in it. :) The more I see it the more I like it (not just because Ben's in it) and I'd say it's also a great movie to watch with kids.

(Loud change of gears...)
But today's pic is another one from Ride a Northbound Horse. (Though I still do have a bunch of Mighty Joe Young pics to scan in some day...)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

One more from Ride a Northbound Horse. ;)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Here's one for Oscar weekend:

The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences gathered past Oscar winners together in December 1975 for the gala opening of a new building.

Front row: Claire Trevor, Harold Russell, Red Buttons, Patty Duke
Second row: Eva Marie Saint, Walter Matthau, Rod Steiger
Third row: Ginger Rogers, Laurence Olivier, Maximilian Schell
Fourth row: Jack Lemmon (partially obscured), Shelley Winters (partially obscured), Karl Malden, Sidney Poitier, Ben Johnson

You can see another one photo from the same event here: https://benjohnsonfanpage.shutterfly.co ... allery/298
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Lobby card from Ride a Northbound Horse. All these pictures and lobby cards (I've got a second lobby card for tomorrow) are from a vendor in Argentina. I suspect the two episodes were edited together and released as a film overseas.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

One more lobby card... the last from Ride a Northbound Horse. That is, not counting the screencaps I'm about to post. :)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Sorry I went MIA for almost a week. We had a Very Important Person visit last week and yours truly was in charge of coordinating everything, which included two VERY late nights mid-week. Anyway, things should be back to normal this week - it's Spring Break and I can take it slow for a few days, until everything gets crazy again next week. :)

I finally posted screencaps of Ben's scenes from the Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color two-parter "Ride a Northbound Horse," adapted (without too many liberties) from the Richard Wormser young adult novel. Ben and a bunch of his pals (Harry Carey, Jr., Jack Elam, Dub Taylor, Andy Devine) have fun playing fairly stock characters in the old west. Ben's the crusty but kind trail boss who helps the orphaned teenager (Michael Shea) who's been swindled out of his beautiful black horse by a duplicitous peddler played by Carroll O'Connor (serving his slice of ham with lots of relish).

Anyway -- screencaps. This is from a TV broadcast, so they're quite soft. :( I dunno why, but as far as I can tell, Disney has never released this on video.

First batch

With Andy Devine.

With Harry Carey, Jr.

----->
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Ride a Northbound Horse

Second batch

More soon! ;)
pvitari