The Marx Brothers

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: The Marx Brothers

Post by pvitari »

I did see an odd theatrical show called "A Day In Hollywood: A Night in The Ukraine."
I LOVE A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine -- it's one of my favorite musicals! I got to see the original cast perform it on Broadway lo these many years ago and it was fabulous -- a spectacular evening of dancing and singing with really great music, and the second act fake Marx Bros. movie had us all rolling in the aisles. The tap dance to the Production Code is just amazing! ;) The show is a giant love letter to the movies. I highly recommend doing youtube searches and enjoying the results -- mostly local and amateur productions but there are some terrifically talented people out there who do a fine job with the material.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wasn't Robert Hegyes of Welcome Back Kotter in one of those shows way back when? I always loved him because he looked like Chico.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

pvitari wrote:I LOVE A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine -- it's one of my favorite musicals! I got to see the original cast perform it on Broadway lo these many years ago and it was fabulous -- a spectacular evening of dancing and singing with really great music, and the second act fake Marx Bros. movie had us all rolling in the aisles. The tap dance to the Production Code is just amazing! ;)
[youtube][/youtube]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Tommy Tune was in the first part. I had no idea who he was but I was struck how tall he was compared to everyone else. I usually save the programs from things I saw but if I have it I wouldn't know where to find it.

I do remember the first part was a big love letter to the movies.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Don't know if anyone is going to be in NY in May but if you are a fan you might find time for this --- A Marx Brothers Festival. It looks to be a series of events at local theaters rather than film screenings. One thing I see is that Frank Ferrante is doing his one man show called "An Evening With Groucho." I have a video of this show and his impersonation of Groucho, all through his life, is truly wonderful.

http://marxfest.com/
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."