CHARLES BOYER

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: CHARLES BOYER

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Wendy, who is the guy on your avatar? It looks a bit like John Gilbert but I know it can't be.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's Buddy Ebsen, doing a little Fred and Ginger number with Shirley Temple to the song "At the Codfish Ball" in the movie Captain January.

[youtube][/youtube]
charliechaplinfan

Buddy Edsen of The Beverly Hillbillies? How cute is that sequence.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes! Isn't it crazy? He started out as a dancer.
charliechaplinfan

I'm going to have to get around to watching my Shirley Temple movies.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I have TCM on in the background as I edit. Right now, "ALL THIS AND HEAVEN TOO" is on.

With THAT voice...he can tell me anything. He can start with "come here."

Bette's never been so lucky. And Barbara O'Neill is magnificently insane!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I keep turning around from the computer to the tv when Barbara O'Neil is on. She keeps shrieking!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

See what I mean. Magnificent.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

:D

Boyer got me again! I'm all teary now.
charliechaplinfan

He's getting me again just looking at that picture and thinking about him. Wow, I can feel the vibes coming from over the Atlantic :wink:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

ALL THIS AND HEAVEN TOO is one of my favorites too ... :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

History is Made at Night - 1937 Film

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/78115/Hi ... -at-Night/

The above link is from TCM Website.

All Boyer's Fans ... this is one for the marbles ... one of my personal favorites of him and Jean Arthur as Irene Vail in this lovely movie that is a true delight for us all here.

It's on at 8:00 am Eastern Standard Time. September 2nd, 2013.
feaito

Post by feaito »

As I wrote in some thread here at SSO, a few years ago, Frank Borzage's "History is Made at Night" (1937) is easily one of the most unique films I have ever seen. It blends perfectly drama, disaster, adventure, comedy and romance. I bought this film especially at Amazon (on VHS format) because of the very good reviews it had and its two leading players.

I wrote this back in 2003 when I first saw the film:
Upon knowing this movie featured Charles Boyer and, especially, Jean Arthur, I expected a light romantic comedy, but what I got was much more...

First of all, this is a powerful romantic film, directed by one of Hollywood's masters of Romance, Frank Borzage. Jean Arthur stars as Irene Veil, in a role different from the usual stuff we expect from her.... she portrays this character, sensitively, luminously, almost with an ethereal quality, but at the same time very humanly. She's simply terrific.

Charles Boyer, is great as Paul Dumond, a headwaiter who falls madly in love with her, and after watching him in this 1937 film, one understands why he became the continental lover per-se; the epitome of the romantic and sensitive hearthrob.

There's wonderful chemistry between the two leads, sadly they never worked together again.

The picture also features outstanding performances by Colin Clive (star of "Frankenstein" and "The Bride of Frankenstein"), who plays Bruce Veil, Arthur's megalomaniac husband, and Leo Carrillo, who impersonates wonderfully a Chef who's Boyer's best friend.

Apart from being a romantic film, this movie has very dramatic moments indeed, but at the same time has fine lightweight comic touches, here and there.

In all a great poetic & ultimately romantic melodrama, with comedy touches, featuring a very warm and credible love story, between two human beings, who meet by chance. Great!!!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

For those of us in the U.S., History is Made at Night is available to watch anytime on Hulu, free.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/254171
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Fernando, you couldn't have said it any better! This is a movie I never miss when it's on TCM. In spite of some almost unbelievable plot twists, it remains completely believable, thanks to the stars and the sensitive directing. The epitome of romance.