CHARLES BOYER

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: CHARLES BOYER

Post by charliechaplinfan »

knitwit45 wrote:I think, Alison, that it was never funny or jokey. He was, sorry to say, a letch.
Some places abroad it's still acceptable to be pinched (well for the men), even as a married woman, not France I hasten to add.

I agree with you but is it today's standards? I don't for one minute think it is acceptable behaviour, especially when the man is a Hollywood star, thinking more now of Fredric March of whom it's well documented rather than Charles Boyer who, even if Claudette Colbert's biography was to be believed, perhaps only used it in flirting. The book does trip itself up by then stating that women chased Boyer and not the other way around. I do like the author, I'd be inclined to buy his other books.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

The story from Claudette's autobiography regarding The Marriage Go Around. The story of the play being Charles Boyer and Claudette Colbert portraying married professors, only one of Boyers ex students decides that he should is the perfect specimen to father her child, Julie Newmar in her statuesque loveliess played the student who wants a baby with Boyer. Newmar has good things to say about Claudette, they had the stage level dressing rooms, Boyer occupied the upper level. Claudette drove the producer. Paul Gregory, mad with her demands, her wardrobe had to come from Paris costing the production more money, this is probably standard for big star, then she complained to the producer that Boyer was downstaging her (I don't fully understand the phrase) then she rearrange the stage direction so that the left hand side of her face would show. Gregory would work with Boyer again in Lord Pengo and honoured Boyer's plea 'to keep that woman away from me' so exacting were her demands. I think her demands were probably to make her feel secure on stage, Boyer was more used to the stage and more of a classical actor, Claudette returned to Broadway after absence of thirty years.

Also... Claudette's insecurities were exacerbated by the celebrities who gathered backstage after the performance, many of whom came to see Boyer. She may have been a star or even an icon, but she never did to men what Boyer did to women. Boyer could seduce with his silken voice, worldly and soothing, and mesmeric eyes, which seemed like reflecting pools, throwing back whatever image was cast in them, look too deeply and you might drown. She resented the attention he received and rather tha exit through the stage door, she left the Plymouth through the fire door when he had visitors, so that she would not be seen.

The producer also says that Claudette was jealous of Julie Newmar.

It's hard to believe that the stars who starred in three film together with good charisma struggled to find a rapport behind the scenes.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ah, now this I can understand, from both sides.

Upstaging doesn't probably happen much in film, because there is no audience and also the moves have to be very carefully blocked out for the camera. It can still happen, but maybe not so overtly.

First of all, Upstage is the section of the stage furthest from the audience. This back part of the stage used to be set higher than the front, like a ramp down to the audience, thus the word "up-stage"). If someone upstages you, it literally means that they step toward the back of the stage and face the audience....even if they do this ever so slightly, it forces the person or people they are performing with to turn their back to the audience in order to look at their fellow actor, making the stepper-back the focal point of the picture. The term has come to stand for all forms of taking the spotlight from another person, such as doing an intricate bit of business while someone else is giving a big speech, mugging, or speaking in an odd manner to get attention.

Here, Bobby Driscoll is upstage or behind all the other actors - he is the focus of the scene.

Here, there are extras further upstage of (or behind) Boyer and Garbo, but the couple is still the focus of the scene because of the skewed perspective, and the ring of white around the couple. Also all eyes are on the couple.

There are things you can do to an upstager to draw the focus back from them to yourself:

Here, Angela Lansbury is upstaging Ingrid Bergman (on purpose though for the camera - it's what her character would do). But Ingrid has pulled some of the focus back by facing the audience herself, not looking at the couple behind her.

I suspect that Boyer had bits of business he used to make a more rounded characterization, and if Colbert was at all nervous about performing, she might have thought he was hamming it up. I also think that Colbert's demands marked an insecurity, but Boyer would not have liked it, and so she set the tone for their problems with one another. Maybe she made the other theatre personnel's lives so miserable during rehearsals that he felt upstaging was justified. To force the budget through the roof is not a very good way to get popular with your fellow theatre people.
charliechaplinfan

This isn't an isolated situation in Claudette's career, she had the famous phobia of the right side of her face and she won't be the first star to demand better costumes, The Marriage Go Around wasn't her only problem production in film or theatre, it was her longest running show, I don't think she meant to be a problem, Julie Newmar enjoyed working with her and of course Boyer himself never said anything bad about Claudette, we have the producer's version of what went on and he was even handed saying he had the greatest respect for her.

Thank you for the visuals and descriptions of what was going on, if he was downstaging her he was probably rounding his character out by doing some bit of business close to the audience of which she was unaware at rehearsals. He'd be doing it for the good of the play and his character, she might feel he was being selfish.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

With all this talk of producer Paul Gregory, I thought you all might like to see a photo of him. This is from 1964, taken with wife Janet Gaynor during a vacation in Hawaii:

Mr. Gregory is still with us, by the way, at age 90. :)
charliechaplinfan

I knew I'd heard the name before, I never linked it with Janet Gaynor, thank you PT. From what I've read about him in other books he seems a reliable source for discussing what happened during a production of his. He worked with Boyer again but I'm not sure he'd have worked with Claudette again.

The picture about of the production of Conquest has picqued my curiousity, I'd love to know how Boyer achieved the transformation to Napoleon, how much was makeup, costume and perhaps padding and how much came from him. I think it's a truly underrated film.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I knew I'd heard the name before, I never linked it with Janet Gaynor, thank you PT. From what I've read about him in other books he seems a reliable source for discussing what happened during a production of his. He worked with Boyer again but I'm not sure he'd have worked with Claudette again.
Well, in researching AM I've been learning about Paul Gregory, some good and some not-so-good. Boyer worked with Gregory three times. Mr. Gregory has been generous in giving interviews to biographers, and he does appear to be reliable in much of what he has reported, but a few things he has related may be a bit controversial. For example, when Charles Tranberg interviewed him for his AM biography, Mr. Gregory told him that Claudette Colbert was, without a doubt, lesbian.

Regarding Paul and Janet, I believe they married at Christmastime in 1964, so they may not yet have been married when that photo was taken in Hawaii. :)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

CCF wrote:
Maybe she made the other theatre personnel's lives so miserable during rehearsals that he felt upstaging was justified. To force the budget through the roof is not a very good way to get popular with your fellow theatre people.
This is now second-hand, but a friend related a story about Colbert from her theater (post-film) career. She was in town for a stage performance at a relatively small theater. He was the stage manager. She arrived in the morning to check out the theater. She walked in, slowly turned, and said:

Ms. Colbert does not perform in a green room.

She turned and walked out.

He had the theater repainted.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
feaito

Post by feaito »

:shock:
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Janet Gaynor was married three times. The first time was to a lawyer named Jesse Peck and by the time they got to the honeymoon, it was already a disaster. It didn't last long. (Biographer Sarah Baker speculates that Janet married the lawyer to get away from Charles Farrell, who she did love but knew wasn't right for her.) The second marriage was to designer extraordinaire Adrian. It was a very happy marriage and they had one son, Robin. (More speculation on the exact nature of the marriage, i.e., the sexual orientation of both JG and Adrian.) Adrian died fairly young from a heart attack in 1959. The third marriage was to Paul Gregory, who had been a long time friend of the family. That also was a very happy marriage and lasted until Gaynor's death in 1984 from the lingering effects of that terrible taxi accident in San Francisco which put her in the hospital for months and required numerous surgeries.
charliechaplinfan

Thanks for all the contributions everyone. Very interesting about Claudette Colbert. Do you think some of the big stars forget that they're not working for some big film organisation but sometimes small productions in small theatres?

I very much enjoyed Sarah Baker's book on Charles Farrell and Janet Gaynor. Charles Farrell wasn't right for her but I think he might have made her happier in the short term.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Janet loved culture.. you know what, I'm taking this over to the Charles Farrell thread. Please return to M. Boyer, who is one of the most elegant and wonderful of actors. Ah... Mayerling! History is Made at Night! Cluny Brown! and, of course, How to Steal a Million. :) :)
charliechaplinfan

I'm quite enamoured of Charles Farrell too, in fact, very high up on my list sit, Charles Chaplin, Charles Boyer and Charles Farrell and I have a cat named Charlie (not after these great performers as he looks not a bit like any of them, the kids named him) . Charles/Charlie seems to be a lucky name for me.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Tovarich with Claudette Colbert

Ousted from their homeland by the Bolshevik revolution, a royal Russian couple was bankrupt and living in Paris. They take positions as butler and maid in a wealthy estate and, owing to their immaculate breeding and manners, stand out in their new jobs. But once they are recognized for the royal couple they are, they must face new -- and dreadful responsibilities that they can’t escape from.

Claudette Colbert & Charles Boyer make a delightful team in this stylish thirties comedy. This film is creative and amusing in much of any rousing movies of its type … similar to Old Man Godfrey - I think? It has something about it of the grace and style of the old Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers films that I love.

Basil Rathbone and Anita Louise were dynamite in this movie – this was unexpected bonus; and I enjoyed their performances too. I did not expect them to be in this movie. Four Powerhouses in one movie. Boyer, Colbert, Rathbone, and Louise ... Wow!

It was a treat ... I watched this movie at my friend's place after I did all my posts on the Rita Hayworth's thread.

The more I watched Charles Boyer ... I can see why Looney Tunes used his unique mannerisms for one of its characters Pepe Le Pew ... I love this character when I was a Kid ... It's ironic!

Note: Tovarich ... Here's something I did (my friend told me this) not know ... that this movie was also known as Tonight's Our Night ... their is a DVD under that (alternate) name. Interesting ...
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Slight backtrack to take a slight tangent: A recent article on Norman Foster, once married to Miss Colbert.

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/72/72no ... hinson.php
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles