Who Are Your Screen Parents?

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

Re: Who Are Your Screen Parents?

Post by mrsl »

So, with sugar coating, I would have to go with John Wayne for dad, because in the bios I've read of him, his kids still adore him, and all say he was a great father. For mom I think Mildred Natwick would keep me laughing a lot, because she seems like the kind of person who would have a dry sense of humor like mine.

Sisters would be all the Lane sisters to keep things hopping all the time.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Klondike:

We Boltnecks are people of few words. We're upstanding because it's hard to sit down.

Wendy:

:)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I'm glad people are having so much fun with this thread. It made me get all serious, so it took me a while to join in. My dad had left the family when I was 4 or 5, never to be heard from again. I had a domineering older sister and the competition for emotional resources was fierce. I remember when I was about 6 or 7, looking at the album cover of a collection of songs from Mary Poppins, seeing the large faces of Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke all bright and happy, and thinking, "I wish they were my parents." So the blithe question of this fun little thread hit home for me.

So now, with the benefit of hindsight and a frame of reference that extends beyond the DIsney universe, here are my picks:

Mom: Myrna Loy--her gentle ribbing when I became too full of myself would keep me on the right track
Dad: Richard Dix--he would have instilled in me the virtues of honesty, integrity, and hard work over short term gain

Aunt: Eve Arden--she would have given me license to be myself and have fun
Uncle: Groucho Marx--he would have exposed the phoniness of people so I wouldn't have to think about it

I'm also tremendously attracted to the idea of C. Aubrey Smith as a grandfather, but that feels a little too grandiose on my part.

Mae Clark feels like a sister, and Ben Lyon as the brother we don't talk about. Also, I would love to have Herbert Marshall as a friend of the family.

SSO: Come for the fun, stay for the therapy!
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Right now I'm thinking of kissin cousins ,only between the ages of 20 - 40.

Maureen O' Hara, Ella Raines, Linda Darnell, Joan Bennett, Barbara Stanwyck, Dorothy Lamour,Helen Walker, Rita Johnson, Caire Trevor,Joan Collins, Dorothy Dandridge, Lena Horne, Cathy Downs,Cathy O' Donnell,Kay Francis, Myrna Loy, Geraldine FitzGerald,Ann Sheridan, and a few others that i'll add later.

Yes Im a male chauvinist ! :oops: Just kidding
Last edited by ken123 on December 17th, 2010, 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Whew, Ken!!!

You have good taste in 'cousins'!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ken123

Post by ken123 »

CineMaven wrote:Whew, Ken!!!

You have good taste in 'cousins'!

Thank you Ms Maven.
More kissin cousins - Jean Brooks, Kim Hunter, Ann Dvorak, Anne Jeffreys,Hillary Brooke, Pat Morison, Jasmine Guy,Phyliss Coates.Cloris Leachman,Teresa Harris,Ginger Rogers,Cyd Charrisse,Carolyn Jones,Yvonne DeCarlo, Denise Nicholas, Barbara McNair,Rosalind Russell, Janet Blair, Marsha Hunt, Jan Sterling, Eleanor Parker. More to come. :D
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Aunts - Eve Arden, Glenda Farrell, Katharine Hepburn, Agnes Moorhead, Mildred Natwick, Thelma Ritter, Betsy Blair, Ann Doran, Vera Miles, Marie Windsor ( as a very special type of aunt ).

Uncles -Henry Travers, Leon Ames, Frank Morgan, Nigel Bruce .( who might also make the next catagory )

Relatives that you hide - Timothy Carey, ZsaZsa Gabor,Liza Minnelli, Mickey Rooney, Peter Whitney ( as lunatics twin brothers Mert & Bert in " Murder, He Says " )Ruby Keeler, Boris Karloff, and Bela Lugosi.

Kissing Cousins- Rhonda Fleming, Arlene Dahl, Hedy Lamarr, Stella Stevens, Barbara Hale, Julie Bishop, Dorothy Malone ( only as a brunette )

Granpas - Lionel Barrymore, Harry Davenport.

Grandmas - Marilyn Monroe, Kim Novak

Sisters - Margaret O' Brien, Natalie Wood - Brother - " Butch" Jenkins

Parents - James Cagney - Joan Blondell
klondike

Post by klondike »

ken123 wrote: Parents - James Cagney - Joan Blondell
Ken, remind me to keep on the good side of your "Dad" - explosives are often more dangerous in small packages! :shock:
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Klondike, kingrat thanks ! 8)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Can I move Ruth Hussey out of the aunts and place her as my sister, along with Laraine Day? I think that would be a perfect family picture, with Myrna Loy as mom and the two sensible and beautiful actresses (plus me) as her daughters. They are the three actresses I most like, and would want to emulate.

Lew Ayres would make a great brother. Hmmm. Do I really want to make him my brother? Not sure.... :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Ruth Hussey and Laraine Day...two sensible sisters there Jackaaaaaaaaaaay.

Ken...I'm loving your family. Barbara McNair??? Theresa Harris??? Phyllis Coates? Malone as a brunette? In a word...WOW!!

ken123

Post by ken123 »

CineMaven wrote:Ruth Hussey and Laraine Day...two sensible sisters there Jackaaaaaaaaaaay.

Ken...I'm loving your family. Barbara McNair??? Theresa Harris??? Phyllis Coates? Malone as a brunette? In a word...WOW!!

CineMaven,
In the early 1960's local channell 5 ran late Sunday night a chat show fronted by Jack Eigan, who I have mentioned on this site before, MsMcNair was a frequent quest and I fell in love with her the first time I saw her, Teresa Harris I first noticed a bit latter, and what I noticed, outside of her great beauty, voice, and charm was that as an African American women she was allowed to be all of the above and NOT be overweight and thereby was able to display sexiness, something that was denied to most black female performers, at least those who appeared im " white " show business. Phyliss Coates I first became aware of was in the George Reeves " Superman " series were she was a very appealing sassy lady, and also in an " Untouchable " episode were she was a gansters moll who looked WOW in a black low cut outfit with elbow gloves, for a lad of about 12 it was breathe taking.Cameron Mitchell was the star of that episode who fell fataly for MsCoates. Dorothy Malone was much more appealing as a brunette, as was Joan Bennett.

Btw the way my admiration for women of color continued in real life as I was married to a black woman for 32+ years, ending in her death in 2002.

Add Ruby Dee to my list of relatives. As I am old I can be forgetful.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I'd like to add:

Edna Mae Oliver and James Gleason as my screen family's best friends.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thank you so much for sincerely sharing, Ken. And you're so right about Theresa Harris. I still remember her in "OUT OF THE PAST" and how generous it was for Robert Mitchum to have his back to the camera as she did her scene. I always am happy when I discover her in a film. "Baby Face" ... "Angel Face."