Loretta Young

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: Loretta Young

Post by JackFavell »

I recommend it but buy some kleenex too!
CineMaven

FOREVER YOUNG!!

Post by CineMaven »

LORETTA YOUNG.

Meh. Not strong to me, goody goody, prissy. Boring...bland. Star of the Month? Oh well. Barbara - Bette - Joan: Stronger gals. Marilyn - Rita - Ava: Dream girls. Bring me the actresses I know and love and see over and over and over and over and over...

That is, until I saw the Marlo Thomas-narrated promo of Loretta Young as Star 0f the Month.

Whoa!! Shut. Up.

I'm on board. I am totally on board. The promo was fantastic. Nobody does it better than TCM in editing, putting clips, transitions, music. At the film festival, they can have a segment with just the promos. And Loretta was absolutely beautiful. Those cheekbones and big doe eyes. ( Don't kill me if I tell you that current actress Gina Torres reminds me of Loretta Young. ) My jaw dropped. Loretta? Bland...ha-ha ha. Did I say bland? Gulp! :oops: I said grand. Yeah - grand.
[u]CineMaven[/u] wrote:Meh. Not strong to me, goody goody, prissy. Boring...bland.
:roll: Aye yi yi! :oops: Typo.

The overview they did of her work shows a myriad of types she played. And I'm ready to explore 'em all. She looked very fetching in "Rachel & the Stranger" and very strong in "The Stranger." I'll even push myself to see "Come To the Stable."

The promo sold me. And I'm totally willing to buy. And learn...about Loretta Young.

LORETTA YOUNG - WEDNESDAYS IN JANUARY

8:00 PM - LAUGH, CLOWN, LAUGH ( 1928 ) In this silent film, a circus clown falls for a young innocent in love with another.
Dir: Herbert Brenon Cast: Lon Chane, Bernard Siegel, Loretta Young. BW-74 mins.

9:30 PM - PLATINUM BLONDE ( 1931 ) A heartless heiress seduces a hard-working reporter into a disastrous marriage. Dir: Frank R. Capra Cast: Loretta Young, Robert Williams, Jean Harlow. BW-89 mins.

11:15 PM -TAXI! ( 1932 ) A feisty independent cab driver fights off a crooked syndicate. Dir: Roy Del Ruth Cast: James Cagney, Loretta Young, George E. Stone. BW-69 mins.

12:30 AM LIFE BEGINS ( 1932 ) A maternity ward becomes the focus for the patients', doctors' and nurses' personal problems. Dir: James Flood Cast: Loretta Young, Eric Linden, Aline MacMahon. BW-71 mins.

1:45 AM THE SQUALL ( 1929 ) A gypsy beauty sets the men of a farming family to fighting over her favors.
Dir: Alexander Korda Cast: Myrna Loy, Richard Tucker, Alice Joyce. BW-102 mins.

6:00 AM LOOSE ANKLES ( 1930 ) A young woman will inherit a million dollars if she marries well. Dir: Ted Wilde Cast: Loretta Young, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Louise Fazenda. BW-67 mins.

7:15 AM I LIKE YOUR NERVE ( 1931 ) A bookworm turns himself into a romantic adventurer in Central America. Dir: William McGann Cast: Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Loretta Young, Henry Kolker. BW-62 mins.

8:30 AM ROAD TO PARADISE ( 1930 ) A delinquent girl helps a criminal gang rob her look-alike. Dir: William Beaudine Cast: Loretta Young, Jack Mulhall, George Barraud. BW-75 mins.

10:00 AM THE TRUTH ABOUT YOUTH ( 1930 ) A gold digging cabaet (sic) singer is unaware that her latest love is penniless. Dir: William Seiter Cast: Loretta Young, David Manners, Conway Tearle. BW-67 mins.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

On Christmas Eve, one of the TV channels ran six episodes of her old-fashioned anthology show, THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW. Cute and innocent. Low production quality. Reminiscent of simpler times. Merry Christmas!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! You slay me, Maven.

She gets the job done every time. Gorgeous in her early years. Her sister Sally Blane has always intrigued me, but I guess she didn't have the drive to keep going in Hollywood like Loretta, who was the professional, always. I just watched the promo on TCM and it made me cry, I simply loved the way it brought forth the essential Loretta Young. Lovely.

My faves:

The Farmer's Daughter - gosh, this movie just never gets old for me. It really taps into Loretta's comic skills. While I find it hard to picture LY hefting lumber or plowing a field with a hand plow, I still believe her no nonsense Swedish farm girl with a work ethic. It doesn't hurt that she's backed by a marvelous cast (Maven look for Ethel B).

The Stranger - I LOVE this movie! Orson Welles is positively chilling, Eddie G, does the detective thing again, quietly, and then there's that wonderful Konstantin Shayne who just weirds me out, creating an effectively creepy ambiance right at the start of the film. I'll never forget the scene where he sits in the corner on a flat chair, uncomfortably strange. The movie's got that stark black and white thing going on, and personally, I think Loretta's acting here is powerful and probably her best work. Her inner denial of what her husband has done is tremendously effective. Psychological and really suspenseful.

Rachel and the Stranger - I like Loretta's version of ugly. This is a tremendously romantic and entertaining film, and you get Loretta surrounded by William Holden at his most handsome and Robert Mitchum at his most tender and appealing. How can this not be good? :D

The Life of Jimmy Dolan - I'm a softie and this movie proves it. Loretta is down to earth, shy, straightforward and at her best here as the owner of an orphanage who falls big time for boxer and boozer Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. who is on the run from the law. It also has Aline MacMahon, so you know it's well worth watching. This and Hide-out would make a terrific double feature.

Love is News was a HUGE favorite for me when I was first starting into classic film fandom. Gosh I love Ty as a heel and he and Loretta were one of the most beautiful couples of the 1930's. I can't remember a thing about this movie so I am longing to see it again. I hope it's on the schedule.

And Now Tomorrow rated highly for me at age 15 or so, I have no idea whether it would work for me now.

I remember being enamored of The Story of Alexander Graham Bell at a young age. Again, can't remember anything at all about this film except Don Ameche spilling acid on his leg and calling out for his assistant. Would love to see it again.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

You've given me some films to aim for Wen. One of my New Year's Resolutions is to look into the stars I've kind of put underneath my radar. Might as well start with Loretta. Your mini-reviews make some of these movies sound soooooooooooooo intriguing. And your avatar of Loretta is lovely.

I'll be on the look out for my new dream girl, Ethel Barrymore ( I saw her in the promo for "The Farmer's Daughter." ) Konstantin Shayne? Oooh, you've made me goosebumpy. "Rachel & The Stranger" -- the hair, the hair in that movie is to die for. Just look at hers, Holden's and Mitchum's. Swoony. Aline MacMahon's in "The Life Of Jimmy Dolan"? You don't have to tell me twice. And I have a vague memory of Loretta & Tyrone Power in movies together when I was a teeny bopper.

That promo TCM created bowled me over as well. I kept saying "Wow" and felt kind of emotional. I dunno why.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I felt the same way, it got me all verklempt but I can't quite figure out what it did that made me that way. Maybe it's just because it's a new promo? and I love them so much. Well, partly that, and partly it was those big JUICY CLOSEUPS, lovingly presented and proving that Loretta had something special. She was a star, and she means something in our classic film world here. It's personal, you bet. And as film fans, even if the SOTM isn't our favorite, they deserve our respect, our admiration, for making so many fans happy over the years. For working hard to please us, just a bunch of faceless people in the dark. And I would say that almost no one, except maybe Joan or Bette, worked as hard as Loretta. TCM works hard too, showing her finest moments, showcasing her assets (she cracked me up in that scene with her dress up over her knee) and sifting through movie after movie to find just the right clips. They are like a movie studio themselves, searching out the most glamorous stills, creating the right mood, making sure the presentation of our star is the best it can be.

One thing no one has mentioned at all so far is Loretta's voice. She's got the most regal, smooth and straightforward voice I think I've ever heard. The tone of it is so melodious, and the pitch is in the low alto range, I would say. It's very pleasing.

I bet Feaito has something to say about Loretta!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Loretta kind of reminds me of Dick Powell, kingrat. She was constantly reinventing herself, taking advantage of what life threw in her way in terms of career opportunities.

I forgot to mention Laugh Clown Laugh, which is a great film, Loretta is impossibly young, she looks about 14 here, but it's a great story, very similar to Chaney's He Who Gets Slapped, which helped a young Norma Shearer get her start. LCL kicks off Loretta's star of the month tribute tonight.

I've seen some of her pre-codes and again, it's down to individual tastes, but there are certainly some worth looking at.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Leila Bennett as Ruby in Taxi reminds me a little of Thelma Ritter as far as her delivery and energy are concerned. This is a wonderful film!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've got Taxi recorded Sue Sue, can't wait to see it!

Coming up this morning are a couple with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. the first of which is so moldy and ridiculous that I'm actually enjoying it. The only other star in it that I recognize is Louise Fazenda.

Later on I think the one to see is The Truth About Youth - which has a much better supporting cast than the rest of this morning's fare, including J. Farrell MacDonald, Conway Tearle, Yola D'Avril and David Manners as the leading man and boasts an appearance by Myrna Loy as Kara The Firefly. :shock: Should be interesting.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The Story of Alexander Graham Bell

My parents used to say Don Ameche invented the telephone! I think everybody in their generation said that.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! Too funny, I remember hearing that, Red, but not from my parents, from older aunts and uncles.

Loretta, Polly Ann and Betty Jane(Sally Blane)

Loretta and Sally

Polly Ann, Sally, Loretta and mother Gladys
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

What a hothead Jimmy was in “TAXI!” I was actually afraid for sweet Loretta. He was almost abusive in the way he’d push her around. Good movie though. Moved at a clip. Jimmy was riveting to watch even though I didn’t quite care for his character. I really could do without the droning on of Leila Bennett. Loretta plays The Girl. ( She winds up with brash Spencer Tracy in a movie. Wassup with picking these brash guys who don’t know how to treat a nice girl? ) I’m liking seeing George E. Stone.

PLATINUM BLONDE” was a gem. Loretta was sweet as girl reporter who loves the guy who only sees her as a pal. The platinum blonde of the title is of course Harlow, who shimmers in the waterfall. I suspect 20-20 hindsight or Monday morning quarterbacking or backseat driving drives the “Harlow is mis-cast” narrative. I thought Harlow did a nice job as the society girl. I believed her diction and bearing. It’s just us knowing the brassy free-wheeling roles she’d later play that makes one think she’s mis-cast as this contained, snooty rich girl. In Harlow’s future is “Red Dust.” But here without jumping to her future, I believed her. The main thrust of events is the ol’ fish-out-of-water story of our ace reporter who falls for the rich girl. Robert Williams was excellent. He was so natural, vivacious, kinetic. I could not take my eyes off him. He’s a bull in the china shop in that world and he’s determined to stay his own man. He had very good chemistry with both his leading ladies.

ImageImage

Looks like Capra had a budget to do this movie. Lots of extras in evening clothes, tracking shots, crane shots. He has Harlow and Williams kissing behind this shimmering wall of water that was a beautiful shot. Loretta makes her way to that party to get a closer look at her unrequited’s new life. Out of her reporter work duds and into a gorgeous back-less chiffon dress, Loretta looks like a dream. She’s so luminous she outshines Harlow here. And that finally gets Williams’ attention. ( Say, does anyone know who plays the social secretary Miss Wilson, who greets dolled up Loretta at the party? She seemed to have stepped in out of the future. She was good in her very very small part. ) It’s a pretty full plot as Williams has to extricate himself from high society to get back down to earth. I liked that he didn’t really let them change him. And when he...can’t...takes ...no more, he invites his lowbrow friends over to the mansion. Oh that busts things wide open. I want to talk about Loretta, but so far her leading men are really blowing me away. Robert Williams didn't live long after the release of "Platinum Blonde." That is really a shame. He actually reminds me of an actor from today:

Jeremy Renner.

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's been so long since I watched Platinum Blonde, Jean and Loretta, it's precode heaven.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

You've got to see it again Alison. Robert Williams is amazing. I would say he's a precursor to Lee Tracy, but that might make some folks wretch. ( I like the loud bombastic irascible Lee! ) Again I ask, does ANYONE know the actress who plays "Miss Wilson" in this movie?