William Powell

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Jezebel38

Re: William Powell

Post by Jezebel38 »

I'm trying to figure out the woman in the background portrait - looks like Mary Pickford?

Ha Ha ! Looks like Bill is doing a Roy D'Arcy imitation.

Wonderful post - love all these pics!

I just finished watching ROAD TO SINGAPORE - loved it, very pre-code! As well as he carries off wearing a tuxedo, he also handles himself well on the dance floor (something I notice about actors in films) he was doing a great Tango with Doris Kenyon. Loved when he laid a couple kisses on her abruptly. Thought the beat, beat ,beat of the jungle drums was none too subtle!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm pretty sure that's Mary Pickford. I wonder if there's a connection. He wasn't a United Artist was he?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Jezebel38 wrote:I just finished watching ROAD TO SINGAPORE - loved it, very pre-code! As well as he carries off wearing a tuxedo, he also handles himself well on the dance floor (something I notice about actors in films) he was doing a great Tango with Doris Kenyon. Loved when he laid a couple kisses on her abruptly. Thought the beat, beat ,beat of the jungle drums was none too subtle!
I LOVED Road to Singapore (1931), Jezebel. I relished William Powell as the notorious Dawltrey ("men like Dawltrey shouldn't be at large!"), who apparently was a thorough-going cad in this deep-dyed pre-code, directed by the somewhat under-rated Alfred E. Green (who made the unjustly neglected Union Depot, Gentlemen are Born, Four Faces West and, of course--as kingrat reminded me, Baby Face. I also get a charge out of the hilariously paranoid Invasion USA from the early '50s that he made at the end of his career in features).
Marian Marsh seems to be interesting in anything, though she's so naughty in this one as nasty, repressive Louis Calhern's baby sister, I think she may need a spanking! As Louis complains, "She's 18! That's a woman in the tropics...This heat. It's bad enough on married women, but for young girls it's dynamite. Makes them man crazy." (Her restless girl of the tenements in the recently aired Under Eighteen(1931) was rather dicey, but disappointing when Warren William proved to be a toothless wolf and Regis Toomey's sanctimonious delivery man began to appeal to her all over again).

The lady in question in The Road to Singapore, Doris Kenyon, never struck me as someone capable of such seductive behavior before seeing this movie--in which she seemed to be channeling a bit of Jeanne Eagels. Why didn't I notice Doris, who was a Ziegfeld Girl before?
Doris in her Follies days around 1917.

Best of all was William Powell with that great hat, that blazer (with the oh-so-carefully casual looking hankie in the pocket)--and that playful "who gives a damn" attitude. I love his reply to the waiter asking about where to serve breakfast and the languid way he drawls, "Oh...leave the bottle." Didn't you enjoy the way everyone dressed to the nines in crisp clothes all the time? Those tolerant Malayan servants (how could they stand these insufferable Europeans slapping them around and calling them "drunken heathens"?) must have been really adept with starch and ironing boards. If anyone wants to see how enticing this movie is, you can see several clips of the movie here at the TCM Video Room.
Bill and Doris consider their choices in life.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, but William Powell brings off the noble stuff so well, doesn't he?

I liked The Key, though, yes, it was stagey and oh too easy to figure out. Hey, could anyone but Powell bring off that full skirted army coat? He made it look stylish. On anyone else it would be a laugh riot. :D

The Road to Singapore was just great, I loved the drums drums drums, and the rain rain rain and Powell's elegant, open-minded cad, ostracized because he is living a life that the stuffy colonists all wish they were. The colonists were so prejudiced in this film I'm surprised that the native population didn't do a little knife throwing through those nice starched whites.

Marian Marsh is an actress I always like, she never does wrong. I don't know why she didn't have a bigger career. She's amazing in Five Star Final and Crime and Punishment. I had no idea till this film what a fine figure she had, too.

Louis Calhern just sucked the air out of the room when he was in it! I've never seen him so lifeless and boring before. He's very interesting - an actor who does a very good if stagey job in pre-codes like this one, Frisco Jenny and The Man with Two Faces, but really doesn't hit his stride till later on. Maybe the movies were not complex enough at this point to showcase his talent for playing quiet cunning or maybe it took years to perfect his film acting style.

Doris Kenyon had a great career in silents for many years. I honestly didn't realize who she was, but thought she showed the sexual frustration of living with Louis Calhern's dullard quite well.

Jezebel38 - I have no idea who the woman is in the portrait behind Powell - It does look like Pickford. The still was labeled as being taken during The Thin Man, though I have no idea if that is true or not. I found it interesting that the first photo I posted also had a blonde in the background. You're right, he's lifted Roy D'Arcy's moustache right down to the way it curls upwards at the ends!

Miss G - I find those pics of Powell as a young man hilarious - he does look like Clarence Day Jr. all dressed up in his father's pants! :D I only watched the first 30 minutes of The Girl Who Had Everything, and was too busy noting the similarities and differences to A Free Soul to really look at the acting. Powell did seem as if he were in a different movie from the rest of the cast, he was very good at keeping your attention even when all by himself in his study. I'll see the rest of the film sometime this week - Liz looked beautiful and the clothes were great.

Alison -

I think Powell was considered the A number one bad guy in silent pictures, working as a villain with Lillian Gish in Romola, and also as the rat Boldini in the 1926 Beau Geste. There were many other nasty roles throughout the late twenties. He probably never thought he would have a career as anything but a bad guy when talkies came in.

Manhattan Melodrama is great, I think Powell works so well with double casts like this one and Libeled Lady. He's a great partner for men as well as women.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

There'll be a double whammy in "AFTER THE THIN MAN" for you. Along with William Powell, there will be Joseph Calleia.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Romola is a beautifully shot film, but the dvd transfers are very dark, making it impossible to see even the titles well. Lillian Gish was not happy with the way the movie came out, the sets and dressings outdo the story. The entire group who made The White Sister stayed in Italy to make this film, since they were already there. It's simplistic, the book is far better. Powell's performance is the best in the picture.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wendy, Your Bill Powell avatar is from "Love Crazy"; Isn't it? I saw that comedy again a couple of months ago and I had a field day! Gail Patrick plays such a playful character. I also re-watched recently "I Love You Again" (1940) and enjoyed it very much. For some reason I did not enjoy "Libeled Lady" (1936) as much as the two former when I saw it...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Maven,

Don't make me pick between Bill and Joe! I love them both. :cry: :cry: I love After the Thin Man, and if you are like me and really like pencil moustaches, you will think you died and went to heaven! Not only do you get Joe and Bill, you get Sam Levene as well, and then they throw in Alan Marshal just to take it over the top, moustache wise.

I like the intimate way Joe grabs hold of brunette, freckled Penny Singleton, while all the time pimping her out to fleece rich Alan Marshal, who also has the hots for her. Joe's exciting when he roughs up Singleton's brother (a super young Paul Fix), who grifts handouts from her every now and then.

But the best scene is with Powell, Loy and Calleia. Calleia shows off his new nightclub to the Charles' - playing the host, bragging about how well he is doing, and and then gets stuck with a whopping check when Nicky's old jailhouse buddies arrive at their table. Calleia makes all the transitions in this film look so easy - from sneaky, to tough, to funny, to seething, all in about 6 minutes of screen time altogether. He's wonderful.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, that's my favorite scene from Love Crazy, fer! When he is stuck in the elevator?

It's funny, I watched those two later comedies just this last year again, and liked them both much better than on previous watchings. I really like Libeled Lady, but there was a time when I didn't. It's grown on me over time, so I completely understand your feelings. Sometimes these movies come back around and we see things in them later on.

I really like Gail Patrick, she's super in everything I've seen her in, even if she does play the snooty types mostly. She and Neva Patterson should have had special Academy awards for the things they put up with from their leading men.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Jack Favell

I like that color picture "After the Thin Man" in your previous post! Why? ...

Their is a White Circle on the bottom left hand corner that's say this!

"No ..... MY moustache is better!"
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It was a joke on my part kingme. It originally said, "I don't think I'd call the police..."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If TCM is showing "Double Wedding" I would recommend it. It's one of those crazy screwball wonders from the 30s. That is if that kind of film is your cup of tea. (With thoughts of Miss Maven.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't think I've ever seen Double Wedding before Chris! If I did, it is lost in the dim recesses of my brain. It sounds good from the descriptions I've just read.