George Raft

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: George Raft

Post by charliechaplinfan »

We're not that bad, yet, we do tend to follow where you lead. I was amazed when I visited America years ago at how many advertisements there were on TV. You need a BBC type broadcaster, to watch a programme without interruptions is bliss. I don't pay for any channels, I'm not sufficiently into sport or modern movies and our TCM isn't up to much. When I di watch it's predominantly the BBC.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I sometimes wish I got the BBC America channel, Alison, but it's on a higher pay rate, so I'll do without.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

We do have PBS, Allison. Public Broadcasting Service. Documentaries, current events. More or less educational programming. There was a time when it featured no commercials at all. Now they have them between programs. The show itself is not interrupted.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

You know, when it comes to commercial television and advertising, nowadays reminds me of the old line: "Would you like coffee with your sugar?"

Was watching PAWN STARS last night and in frustration almost tossed my remote at the screen during the commercial breaks (which mainly were ads for upcoming programs). I couldn't believe how many commercials were shown during those slots. And I don't care what anyone says: The volume is turned up considerably during commercials. I find myself constantly adjusting the sound button on my remote during prime time programming.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Speaking of volume, does anyone else's cable provider have differences in the volume of different channels? I notice that TCM is louder than any of my other channels, and the weather channel is so quiet I can turn it up to 30 or 40 (quite high) to be able to hear it. I don't even know if it's my cable provider that is the culprit...
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Heck Wendy, TCM (Canada) is the one channel where I do not have to adxjust my volume control - unless it is an old picture with poor sound quality. Generally I can keep the volume fixed.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I guess it's a preset volume for every station, and they differ from each other. Heck, I should be glad that TCM is the louder one! It's just that sometimes I forget and switch over at 9 or 10 at night and it's blaring when everyone else in the family has gone to bed.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I don't care what anyone says: The volume is turned up considerably during commercials

I don't think there's any doubt about that.

does anyone else's cable provider have differences in the volume of different channels?

Absolutely! And I'm a channel flipper. It drives me nuts. I don't know if it's the provider or the channels themselves. In some cases, it's as different as night and day.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, it drives me crazy too, you get used to one level and then flip the channel and your eardrums are blown out! Not to mention the speakers on you TV! :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Have you guys considering watching it with Closed Captioning ... No Sounds, No Nothing ... that what I do when I watch movies on TCM! ... I generally don't care for music on television it's distracts me; and sometimes the sounds is increased making it impossible to hear the actors/actresses voices ... so mute and closed captioning is the way to go ... Guys!!!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I mute commercials sometimes. Not the shows. SEEING the same ad a thousand times is not too bad. HEARING it is torture!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This is why some people ONLY watch video. The hell with broadcast!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

The best answer is just record everything on commercial channels and fast-forward all the ads.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

We're kind of spoiled with TCM. I probably would rarely watch anything else if it weren't for my family. When I do, the commercials irritate me more.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm going to take this discussion in a new direction. (Heaven help us!) The latest thing with commercials is to tie them into a big, new movie release. Action/adventure, of course. OK. Here's the product or service being promoted. Now here's Superman, Star Trek, whatever. But what does one have to do with the other? Nothing! I know that. But don't they even pretend there's a connection? "Superman has State Farm Insurance!" Something along those lines. This is just, "Buy our product. By the way, there's a movie coming out!" And?

It's as if mentioning the movie is enough. There doesn't have to be a reason for it!