Marc Platt

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
norfious

Marc Platt

Post by norfious »

Ever since watching "Tonight and Every Night", and marveling at the dancing skill of Marc Platt, I have become rather interested in this star and his career. I've already watched 1.5 more of his films, and have been desperately searching Google for more information. (I am new to film research, so Google is my main resource!) On this search, I ran across this wonderful little documentary clip, detailing some early days of Mr. Platt's career. It wonderful that he is still with us, and able to share his experiences.

Here is the clip, for those interested!
Marc Platt - Dream Curly, 2005

Also, here is an interview that appeared in the Seattle Times.

Does anyone know more about this talented actor and dancer? Any thoughts or comments you'd like to share?
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
Rita Hayworth

Re: Marc Platt

Post by Rita Hayworth »

He was in Down to Earth another Rita Hayworth Fantasy Gem - back in 1947.

Here is a picture of him on top of Gramercy Park with Rita Hayworth and Larry Park ...

[youtube][/youtube]
Here is the best number that he did in Down to Earth in my Opinion.

Some pictures that I have in my private collection too ... that's have Marc in it.
Attachments
Marc on top, Rita and Larry on bottom
Marc on top, Rita and Larry on bottom
DownTE (15).jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
Rita in the middle with Leslie & Janet - Marc - Right
Rita in the middle with Leslie & Janet - Marc - Right
Tonight (17).jpg (45.48 KiB) Viewed 4936 times
norfious

Post by norfious »

Thank you so much for sharing those pictures and clips, kingme! The last photo is lovely!

I actually watched "Down to Earth" yesterday on youtube. There are lots of great numbers in that film, but that one you posted is quite a lot of fun. :)

My personal favorite is "This Can't Be Legal"
[youtube][/youtube]
This song is so catchy, isn't it? I've had it stuck in my head since I first watched it.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks for the link to the video of Mr. Platt. He is such a gracious fellow, isn't he?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Your Welcome. :D
norfious

Post by norfious »

knitwit45 wrote:Thanks for the link to the video of Mr. Platt. He is such a gracious fellow, isn't he?
My pleasure!

And yes, he is a pleasant fellow, indeed! It's wonderful that he was still participating in the theater in 2005. I wonder if he still is? I wish I could see one of his performances! :)
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

The first interview clip of Marc Platt is taken from the marvelous documentary BALLET RUSSES (2005). This film is an extremely informative source for a whole slew of famous ballet dancers of the era, and the most I learned about Marc (aside from what I knew of his film appearances) was gleaned from this documentary. Most film buffs also know that Marc was one of the dancing brothers in SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS; I can't think of his character name right now, but do know that he was the oldest of all the dancing men in that film

I just found TARS AND SPARS on Youtube. This movie was filmed right after TONIGHT AND EVERY NIGHT, and reunites Broadway star Alfred Drake with Marc Platt who were the original Curly and Dream Curly in the original production of OKLAHOMA. Marc dances a feature solo at the 8:00 mark in the film, followed by a spectacular dance number choreographed by Jack Cole with Janet Blair and a stage jam packed with Jack Cole's Columbia dancers.

[youtube][/youtube]
norfious

Post by norfious »

Thank you for the movie, Jezebel. That dance number at 8 minutes in is great; He makes it look so easy!
I'll have to find the full version of that documentary, too. :D