Ernst Lubitsch and his films

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Konway

Re: Ernst Lubitsch and his films

Post by Konway »

Unfortunately, I can't see the link you posted, MissG. So I won't be able to comment on it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh, that's too bad. But no big deal, it's just a promo for Lubitsch films that will be airing on TCM (USA) in December. Nothing you've never seen before.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Konway

Post by Konway »

SPOILERS (Heaven Can Wait)

MissG, What do you think about Heaven Can Wait? charliechaplinfan, I finally ended up getting time to write the review "properly" for Heaven Can Wait (1943). I think you will like Heaven Can Wait better after you read this review.

"Heaven for Henry Van Cleve!"

I feel that this is the type of film that is easy to like or easy to hate. To me, this film is about the successes and failures through a flawed
man named Henry Van Cleve who knows his own weakness. Henry has a kind and loving heart. He "truly" loved Martha. But his weaknesses (his
romantic affairs) dominates him at the same time. In the film, I don't think it is ever implied that his romantic affairs with women reached
to the dangerous point of sleeping with them. We also have to consider the time period he lived. He lived from 1872 to 1942. It was a time
period when kissing a girl was considered as a scandal. For Example, Henry telling Mademoiselle (Signe Hasso) about how he kissed the girl
at policeman's shed. Another example is how Henry Van Cleve (Don Ameche) and his wife Martha (Gene Tierney) had separate bedrooms although they were husband and wife. This doesn't have anything to do with censorship, because the characters who play husband and wife in a movie were allowed to have same bedroom. But the censorship didn't allow the characters (husband and wife) to be on "same" bed together in a scene. For Example, Let me take Lubitsch's That Uncertain Feeling (1941). In this film, we see husband (Melvyn Douglas) and wife (Merle Oberon) in the same bedroom. But in 2 separate beds although they are close to each other.

We know that Henry's "romantic" attachment towards women started from the "beginning" of his life. It is not a weakness that started at a later age. For Example, a weakness like Alcoholism starts at a later age.

One of the problems was that his surroundings (his father, his mother) only allowed his weakness to be increased by providing a lot of freedom and money at a young age. We can give some exception to Grandpa (Charles Coburn). Compared to snobbish Albert, Henry Van Cleve was more understanding and
loving. Albert is the kind of person who will pick on the smallest mistakes instead of understanding the other person's position. For
Example, the sneezing of Martha. But what Henry wanted to do was truly love Martha and take care of her. Henry "truly" did love her. But his
weakness towards attractive women was a problem. But Martha herself claims that she had nothing but happiest moments with Henry Van Cleve in 10 years of her married life before she left him. But Martha should have known that Henry Van Cleve is a man who often needs "a woman's touch", because they have talked about "Henry's problem" before. I would say "Separate" Bedrooms is one of the major reasons that caused the separation of Henry and Martha after 10 years of happy married life. Martha slipped into Henry's room so that she could see the size of Henry's wallet so that she could put in the photo of her and her son Jackie. That's when she found Henry's Jewelry Bill. That is when she decided to leave Henry. If they lived in the same bedroom, then this would not have happened. Aside from Henry's weakness, I think the weakness with Martha was that she was too innocent.

We know how much Henry loved Martha and how much he misses Martha during the scene where he "accidentally" picks the book "How to make your
husband happy." I don't think Henry Van Cleve's weakness can be judged, because it is something that he can't help with. It is the kind of weakness that can be stopped if other family members including his wife were willing to help Henry stop it. I think this is still relevant today. For example, let me take allergy.
There are so many allergies out there. Let me take someone with wheat allergy. A calm and nice person "accidentally" eats a food that contains "traces" of wheat. Due to allergy reaction, the person gets a migraine headache and becomes very angry. We can't blame the person, because it is not his fault. I think
this is the case with Henry Van Cleve. He knew about his weakness and he couldn't help it. Although he loved Martha, his son, Grandfather, and his parents, still he felt guilty that he was conquered by his weakness throughout his whole life. That's why he decided to go to hell instead of heaven. I would say that Henry's weakness is the sickness of his body. But not the sickness of his soul. Despite weaknesses of both Henry and Martha, We know how much Henry and Martha loved each other. We know how much Martha loved Henry especially through her last wish. Her last wish to her son was that her husband Henry should be happy for the rest of his life. That's one of the things that makes this film so beautiful.

I thought Don Ameche, Gene Tierney, and Charles Coburn were great. Laird Cregar did a great job playing his small role. I rate the film 10
out of 10. I must say Ernst Lubitsch did a wonderful job directing this film. This was his first and only film in color.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi, Konway~

i admit Heaven Can Wait tends to be a Lubitsch movie I've been less fond of, mainly because of the tone. The uptight milieu tends to bore me more than when I was younger, and I relished Victorian-era settings, books and plays. I wonder if Lubitsch was making a gentle satire of his parents' generation and world. Or perhaps men themselves and their vanity and weaknesses are his focus. Can a man be a wastrel and at the same time a beloved husband? I'm quite sure Lubitsch believed so, though poor man, he seemed more on the receiving end of things in his own marriages.

Henry is a lot like the Chevalier characters in Lubitsch's early musical comedies. He lives for the chase. I do believe Henry had no malice aforethought with his straying, that it was indeed a weakness and that he truly loved his wife. I can't quite go so far as to think it was one he---or anyone---can't control but it may very well be that Lubitsch would have it this way. You could be right. Certainly his upbringing and world catered to his weakness while at the same time pretending to condemn it so there was little to curb him in his family or the customs of the day.

You really think his affairs only went so far? All of them? I'll have to watch again to see if I get that impression. Mistresses and daliances, not altogether innocent, were de riguer for men of means and I can't see Lubitsch thinking it natural for a man to "waste an opportunity", ha. His earlier "heroes" did not stop at kissing, I'm sure. But to make it safe for the censors, he may very well walk a delicate line, creating an impression that can be interpreted salaciously or innocently according to the audience member's mind and imagination. As the character aged, perhaps his encounters became more imaginative than real.

Charles Coburn is my favorite character in the film. He is the most natural, but then he's past the age when he might be "dangerous". He can only reminisce and live through Henry. It's a funny sort of story. I rather think Lubitsch admired his "Henry" and thought it too bad should anyone condemn him. I do agree that everyone in the cast is excellent.
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I will get around to watching it again, it's been awhile since I watched it, I didn;t connect with Don Ameche in this film although I've seen him in other movies and found him better, he doesn't do a great deal for me. Gene Tierney has the reverse affect on me, I think she's adorable and should really give it another go. I loved your review Konway, thank you for convincing me to give it another go.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I have mixed feelings about Heaven Can Wait ... because overall presentation of the movie and most importantly ... I have a hard time following it because of the acting of Charles Corburn and Don Ameche of whom that I have some difficulty (hearing wise) relating to. When, I ever get a DVD with Closed Captioning ... I might enjoy it even more because I have a like/dislike of the speaking of Charles Corburn and Don Ameche because of their style of acting. I have no problems with the beautiful Gene Tierney in this movie. I love your reviews Konway ... and I will use it help me understand this movie even better.
Konway

Post by Konway »

charliechaplinfan, no problem. I also thank you for recommending I Know Where I'm Going (1945). I loved it.

MissG, I think censors would have allowed Henry to kiss another woman. For Example, we see Professor Siletsky kissing Maria (Carole Lombard) in Lubitsch's To be or not to be (1942). But Lubitsch and Raphaelson didn't do it, because Henry had no intention of creating a serious romance with other women. This is because he is truly in love with Martha and he doesn't want to cause anything that might endanger his relationship with Martha. That's why Henry wouldn't admit to Martha that he is having an affair with other women. He is afraid of losing Martha. We also can see Henry telling Grandpa that he can't live without Martha after she leaves him.

As we all know, Martha truly loves Henry. She wants Henry to belong to her and her only. But Henry's affairs with women gave Martha the frightening notion that Henry didn't "truly" love Martha.

Like Henry's weakness, Martha has a weakness of being too innocent. She was "always" the innocent girl from Kansas just like Henry's weakness which continued throughout his life. Grandpa knew the weaknesses of both Henry and Martha. He also knew Henry and Martha truly loved each other and they belong to each other. That's why he was successful in bringing Martha back from Kansas. But with the weakness of Henry, Martha would have been able to stop it if she had the capability of Grandpa (Charles Coburn) in understanding Henry's weakness.

But Martha and Henry loved each other so much that they were able to live happily for next 15 years.

Heaven Can Wait was Don Ameche's favorite film. Ernst Lubitsch was Ameche's favorite director.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

8:00 PM
Some great Lubitsch on tap tonight on TCM beginning at 8pm ET. I have never seen One Hour With You (1932). Any comments about what to look for in that one?I hope I like it.

The Student Prince of Heidelberg is one of my favorite silents, so I'll probably record that one. Ramon & Norma were never better.

8PM
TROUBLE IN PARADISE (1932)
A love triangle ignites trouble between two jewel theives and their intended victim.
Dir: Ernst Lubitsch Cast: Miriam Hopkins , Kay Francis , Herbert Marshall .
BW-82 mins, TV-G, CC,

9:30 PM
DESIGN FOR LIVING (1933)
An independent woman can't chose between the two men she loves.
Dir: Ernst Lubitsch Cast: Fredric March , Gary Cooper , Miriam Hopkins .
BW-91 mins, TV-G, CC,

11:15 PM
ONE HOUR WITH YOU (1932)
Both members of a married couple fight the temptation to stray.
Dir: Ernst Lubitsch Cast: Maurice Chevalier , Jeanette MacDonald , Genevieve Tobin .
BW-78 mins, TV-G, CC,

12:45 AM
STUDENT PRINCE IN OLD HEIDELBERG, THE (1927)
In this silent film, a young prince attending college falls for a barmaid below his station.
Dir: Ernst Lubitsch Cast: Ramon Novarro , Norma Shearer , Jean Hersholt .
BW-106 mins, TV-G,
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm glad you got to see Cluny, KR...I'd love to see it dearly on the big screen as it is one of my favorite comedies. It has a slightly off-kilter tilt to the love story and of course, that's they idea behind Cluny. You can't keep a good plumber down, even in the stuffiest circles. :D I always thought Jennifer particularly suited to playing girls and women who were slightly "different" or not one of the norm. I think I always identified with her characters more than those of other actresses. She never fit in or tried to, even Selznick's choices reflected this to a degree.
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, I am so glad you posted this about the lovely Cluny Brown, kingrat. After watching Jennifer Jones writhe with synthetic lust in Duel in the Sun and Ruby Gentry last night on TCM (and laughing occasionally) as she squirmed and dragged herself around the desert floor and through a swamp to please David O. Selznick and King Vidor's separate (but kind of equal) ideas of females in heat, I need to remember that this actress could convey some delicate, even nuanced emotions--and that she should have done more comedies! No wonder Cluny Brown was reportedly her favorite film--it was probably more fun to make.

I can't believe that only 75 people showed up for this movie, but I guess it is tough to choose among the banquet of films available there. Did anyone have a chance to ask Nicola Lubitsch any questions?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks