Your favorite character actors

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
knitwit45

Re: Your favorite character actors

Post by knitwit45 »

Fell in love with Harry Davenport at the tender age of thirteen, when I saw Meet Me In St Louis for the very first time on the Million Dollar Movie. Both of my grandpas were gone long before I was born, and I wanted a grandfather who would give up a quiet Christmas Eve to take a heartbroken girl to her last Christmas Dance. He was always so sweet in all his movies, and then I saw ....The Bride Came C.O.D. He was such a CODGER!!!! :shock: Loved him even more! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Seems like he plays a real meanie in one movie. Is it JUAREZ? It's not KINGS ROW, is it?
norfious

Post by norfious »

I have probably posted here in the past, as I really like character actors. I've also probably already posted a large list of my favorites, but I have two new ones for whom I have recently developed a lot of respect.

Phil Silvers - Phil Silvers never ceases to amaze me with his quick wit and comedic presence. Any film he's in is automatically made better, just by him being in it.

Arnold Stang - I am personally very inspired by this man. Despite his small stature (5'3" and <100 lbs) and high-pitched voice, Arnold Stang exudes confidence. He's a funny man and he knows it. He does use his stature to aid his comedy, but you can tell he never thinks less of himself because of it. He never expressed annoyance at not getting "leading man" roles, but did still consider himself capable of acting in them. In fact, he had said “No, I never yearned for a leading-man role. It’s illogical. I’d flunk the physical. Of course, I’m a great lover but when they cast romantic roles they usually want those big, California vegetables. They look beautiful but have no flavor.”

While I am sure a lot of actors have personalities drastically different from those of their onscreen characters, I could see how easily it would be for a person to begin to believe they were truly similar -- especially if one's appearance was heavily stereotyped with those personalities. The societal pressures and stereotypes must have been so strong back then, but Mr. Stang was really clear about who he was and who his characters were. And even when people misunderstood his true identity, he didn't let it bother him.

Being rather immature-looking myself, I am very much inspired by Arnold Stang to understand that my appearance does not dictate who I am.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Arnold Stang and family
Joseph Goodheart
norfious

Post by norfious »

mongoII wrote:Arnold Stang and family
Thank you so much for the photo, mongo! I haven't seen that one before.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That is the most wonderful post, norfious! I love Arnold Stang and I'd never heard that quote by him before. Superb! I'm glad you shared your personal feelings of empathy. That is really the best part of all.

Was PEOPLE magazine around in 1954? I don't think so, but look what I found....

You know what? I see it. Confidence is sexy.
norfious

Post by norfious »

JackFavell wrote:That is the most wonderful post, norfious! I love Arnold Stang and I'd never heard that quote by him before. Superb! I'm glad you shared your personal feelings of empathy. That is really the best part of all.

Was PEOPLE magazine around in 1954? I don't think so, but look what I found....

You know what? I see it. Confidence is sexy.
Thanks! There are actually a couple of actors who really inspire me, more than just because they are good at what they do. Robert Young is another one, due to the fact that he gave us so many great performances, despite his social anxiety.

Yes, I found that quote on this great blog post that has a collection of interviews and articles featuring Arnold Stang. It's got some great information.

And wow, where did you find that image? That's great!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I found the photo just by looking up his name on Google images.... and viola! A great looking pic of Arnold Stang! Thanks for the link to the interviews.
norfious

Post by norfious »

Oh, I see now. YOU made the image. For some reason I was thinking it was made by another Arnold Stang fan ( who we needed to wrangle and get in on this thread!) and you found it floating about on the Internet somewhere. :)

It funny; this evening I was at a grocery store and saw a magazine (It might have been "People," even, I don't recall) and it's cover story was "Sexiest Men Alive." I thought of your fake cover and smiled. Arnold Stang is so much better than all of the guys on the modern cover!