Doris Day...

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CoffeeDan

Re: Doris Day...

Post by CoffeeDan »

And to think I was just reading this thread last night . . .

This morning, I got the news that Doris Day had died at the age of 97. What a long and lucky life! I had always liked her better as a singer, but she was quite a good actress too. She was so good in movies like STORM WARNING, LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME, TEACHER'S PET, THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1956), and PILLOW TALK, just to name a few of my favorites. I've been listening and watching her nearly all day today, and thought I'd post a few tributes here.

Here's the TCM Remembers spot that started things off:

TCM's Robert Osborne interviewed her for her 90th birthday. I like this phone interview because she talks a lot about her early days working at radio station WLW here in Cincinnati (BTW, local radio has been full of tributes to her today):

She appeared on the Mike Douglas show in 1975, along with Steve Allen and Norm Crosby. Mike even gets her to sing a chorus of "Sentimental Journey":

One of her best LPs, Duet, with Andre Previn's trio:

And here's her last TV interview, from 2015:

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks Dan for sharing your thoughts here.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

Aw, thanks, Chris. I was getting so much Doris Day material on my home page, I thought I would put some of the best videos here. I see it's gotten over 1,100 views since I posted them. I'm glad to see that Doris Day still has a lot of fans today, more than 50 years after she made her last movie. She was definitely one of a kind . . .
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith