WHAT IF - Certain Stars Aligned

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Rita Hayworth

WHAT IF - Certain Stars Aligned

Post by Rita Hayworth »

What If - Certain Stars Aligned ... got me thinking today!

A couple days ago when Joe posted this photograph of Rita Hayworth and Betty Grable back in 1942 - Why FOX (who had Grable) and COLUMBIA (who had Hayworth) ever gotten together to make a musical together for the moral of our troops showcasing two of the greatest pin-ups of history - and a possible box office smash and all.

Imagine Betty Grable, Dan Dailey, Rita Hayworth, Gene Kelly and/or Victor Mature in a Musical? ... it would be incredible.

It would be the understatement of the year and got me thinking today if there would be other pairings that you would love to see if certain studios managed to have certain stars aligned together to make a movie for all viewers to enjoy.

What I'm asking everyone if you can - make a pairing similar to Grable and Hayworth and make a comment or two about it and gets us all thinking of that direction ... I think it would make a fine discussion here in Silver Screen Oasis.
Attachments
Betty Grable.jpg
Betty Grable.jpg (152.64 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
Vecchiolarry

Re: WHAT IF - Certain Stars Aligned

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Erik,

Interesting premise indeed....

Back in the day, one would have never thought to pair Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, even though they were at the same studio after 1943. But, presto-bongo: "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"....

Here are my picks:
1) Barbara Stanwyck and Bette Davis
2) Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Crawford
3) Katharine Hepburn and Bette Davis
4) Katharine Hepburn and Joan Crawford
5) Katharine Hepburn and Barbara Stanwyck
6) Olivia De Havilland and Joan Fontaine
7) Marlene Dietrich and Mae West
8) Lana Turner and Ava Gardner
9) Clark Gable and Errol Flynn

Maybe more later; but I'm anxious to see whom others pair together.

Larry
norfious

Post by norfious »

I would really have liked to have seen a gangster film with all 4 of the gangster greats: Edward G. Robinson, James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, and George Raft. All of these actors have done at least one film with one another, but it would have been amazing to see them all in one picture. What a powerhouse of personalities, yes?

Similarly, it would be awesome if George Sanders and Ronald Colman had done a film together. Two velvet-voiced leading men! :)
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Rumaging around in the things I missed by being a latecomer, I found this great idea of Eric’s, a Wish List of Mash Up, oops, Match Up of stars. Then, norfious’ idea of a full cast of the great gangsters got me thinking.

MGM created some great all-star dramas: Dinner at Eight and Grand Hotel. But nobody ever tried an all-star screwball comedy. Wouldn’t you have loved to see the ultimate loose screws:

Mistakes Can Happen!
Starring the couples
Cary Grant and Carol Lombard
William Powell and Katherine Hepburn
Clifton Webb and Eve Arden
W. C. Fields and Marie Dressler
S. Z. Sakall and Billy Burke
and, as the servants,
Edward Everett Horton and Zazu Pitts
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Lucky Vassall wrote:But nobody ever tried an all-star screwball comedy.
Hmmm, well, I'm venturing off-topic here, but I can think of a couple of all-star screwball comedies off-hand:

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World -- Spencer Tracy, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, Mickey Rooney, etc. . . .

The Man Who Came to Dinner -- Bette Davis, Ann Sheridan, Monty Woolley, Jimmy Durante, Billie Burke, Reginald Gardiner, Grant Mitchell, Mary Wickes, etc. . . .

And more recently, though not quite so star-studded:

Down and Out in Beverly Hills -- Nick Nolte, Bette Midler, Richard Dreyfuss, Little Richard, Paul Mazursky

:D :wink: 8)