Rod Taylor

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Re: Rod Taylor

Post by MissGoddess »

Fate is the Hunter is a great favorite of mine. I also am fond of Gann's novels. They made for entertaining films.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Fate is the Hunter is now available on Blu-ray from Twilight Time. The disc includes a documentary about Nancy Kwan, "To Whom It May Concern: Ka-Shen's Journey."

http://screenarchives.com/title_detail. ... RNEY-2010/
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Fate Is the Hunter is a gem, with one of Rod Taylor's best character roles featured. Even when he's off-screen, he's a presence!

Gee, I haven't read Ernest K. Gann's novels in years (but I would like to), but will never forget his wonderful autobiography, "A Hostage to Fortune." Some of his other books that have been adapted to film include Blaze of Noon (1947), Island in the Sky (1953), The High and the Mighty (1954), and inspired a miniseries from The Antagonists, which was adapted into Masada (1981). He was also an excellent painter and photographer. The last of the Renaissance men? :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote:Fate Is the Hunter is a gem, with one of Rod Taylor's best character roles featured. Even when he's off-screen, he's a presence!

Gee, I haven't read Ernest K. Gann's novels in years (but I would like to), but will never forget his wonderful autobiography, "A Hostage to Fortune." Some of his other books that have been adapted to film include Blaze of Noon (1947), Island in the Sky (1953), The High and the Mighty (1954), and inspired a miniseries from The Antagonists, which was adapted into Masada (1981). He was also an excellent painter and photographer. The last of the Renaissance men? :wink:
i never read his autobio! i'd love to.
and don't forget Soldier of Fortune, the Gable-Hayward adventure story, a favorite of mine.

between fate is the hunter and my darling clementine, my resistence to buying a blu-ray player is crumbling. fate used to be on DVD but they sold out.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

pvitari wrote:Fate is the Hunter is now available on Blu-ray from Twilight Time. The disc includes a documentary about Nancy Kwan, "To Whom It May Concern: Ka-Shen's Journey."

http://screenarchives.com/title_detail. ... RNEY-2010/
i love nancy kwan so i want this blu more than ever.
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

ROD TAYLOR as LES MANGRUM in the V.I.P's back in 1963

One more movie that worth mentioning here about ROD TAYLOR is his performance of Les Mangrum in the V.I.P.s back in 1963. I thought he did a great job in this movie and working along with Maggie Smith that Les Mangrum, a self-made Australian businessman traveling with his loyal secretary, Miss Mead, must be in New York the following day to arrange the loan that will help him repel a hostile takeover of his tractor company.

He and Maggie Smith were superb in this movie and I wanted to point that out to everyone that loves Rod Taylor.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Rod was always good. An underrated actor, I think. I like THE VIPS. It's not as good as the similar SEPARATE TABLES, but it succeeds on its own merit. Poor Rod got stuck with some mediocre projects in the 1960s. And I'm being kind! CHUKA is a dull and dismal western. THE LIQUIDATORS may be a satire of the spy films of the era. But it's still pretty bad!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Oops! I forgot I made that exact same comment a few months ago. I didn't review the thread. Sorry, Rod!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

So sad to see this underrated actor go, but loved seeing so many people appreciating him around the internet again. Interestingly, he never quite lost the wonder of an Aussie lad in Hollywood, and his daughter Felicia commented that "He once said, 'I am a poor student sitting at the feet of giants, yearning for their wisdom and begging for lessons that might one day make me a complete artist," she continued, " 'so that if all goes well, I may one day sit beside them.' " I think he is in their company today, but then, I always did!

Today I am remembering Rod Taylor (1930-2015) fondly as an actor whose work led me to relish the light and dark in human nature, as well as adventure, literature, and intelligent good humor (often in the face of uncooperative scripts)--not to mention the salutary effect of his presence on my budding appreciation for the male of the species. Thank you for sharing your unique blend of sensitivity, brashness, bravado, and sense of fun, Mr. T.

Below is a good appreciation of this underrated actor from The Hollywood Reporter and a link to People Magazine's well done obit for him, with quotes from friends and family. I've also posted several of Rod Taylor's films that are currently available on youtube below.

http://www.people.com/article/rod-taylor-dies

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/r ... ion-762421

Full Length Rod Taylor Movies:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Episodes of the 1960 television series that starred Rod Taylor, Hong Kong can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnX5iBX ... 7HOfZqTato

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm not sure I've even heard of LONG JOHN SILVER. Of course, there are many filmings of that story!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:I'm not sure I've even heard of LONG JOHN SILVER. Of course, there are many filmings of that story!
If you are in the mood for a pirate saga, it's fun foolishness (blink and you'll miss Rod, which may have been how he felt about some of his other more obscure films--but he could make it fun to watch).

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

moira, I love your words about Rod. I did find the "Hong Kong" episodes on YouTube.

The Disney TREASURE ISLAND is one of my childhood favorites, but I've never seen LONG JOHN SILVER. Now I'll definitely have to catch it -- more delicious hamming from the incomparable pop-eyed Robert Newton, plus seeing an up-and-coming Taylor.

Never knew he and Anita were an item...
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:moira, I love your words about Rod. I did find the "Hong Kong" episodes on YouTube.

The Disney TREASURE ISLAND is one of my childhood favorites, but I've never seen LONG JOHN SILVER. Now I'll definitely have to catch it -- more delicious hamming from the incomparable pop-eyed Robert Newton, plus seeing an up-and-coming Taylor.

Never knew he and Anita were an item...

Me too and I just started collecting Anita pictures!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The Disney TREASURE ISLAND is one of my childhood favorites

I was a TINY little person when I saw that! Probably no more than five.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I thought I would just make note of a few films that haven't been mentioned. He was such a really GOOD GUY in Sunday in New York, how could any girl not want to grab him? And so war weary with Doris Day in both Do Not Disturb and Glass Bottom Boat, again, you just want to cuddle him up. But then make a 360 degree turn and see him as Chuka (which I had never heard of before), it was on last week on Encore and I found it to be a really good western. Oh, he was a good guy, but also kind of terrifying. I'll probably write about it on the Western thread.

R.I.P. Rod, and thank you for a lot of pleasant memories.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************