Sir John Mills revisted

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Sir John Mills revisted

Post by stuart.uk »

I hope folk don't mind me metioning John Mill's again. IMO while other British actors acheived more Internationally like Cary Grant, Charlie Chaplin and Ronald Colman, Mills was the most successful actor working in British films. I've also recently discovered he had a talent for Film Noir with movies like The Long Memory and The Vicious Circle.

However, it's for his military roles he's best known, In Which We Serve, This Happy Breed, Above Us The Waves, Scott Of The Antartic, Morning Departure, We Dive At Dawn, The Way To The Stars, The Colditz Story, Ice Cold In Alex, Dunkirk, I Was Monty's Double, Tunes of Glory and Young Winston.

Outside the military were gems like Goodbye Mr. Chips, Young Mr.Pitt, The Amazing Mr. Polly, Great Expectations, my own fav Hobson's Choice, The Rocking Horse Winner, It's Great To Be Young, Swiss Family Robinson, Tiger Bay, The Chalk Garden, The Thirty Nine Steps,The Family Way, Run Wild Run Free, Ghandi and Murder With Mirrors, where he was married to an elderly Bette Davis.

Mills also did some tv work, noteably The Zoo Gang with Lili Palmer and Brian Keith and the sit com Young At Heart with Megs Jenkins his old co-star from Tiger Bay
knitwit45

Re: Sir John Mills revisted

Post by knitwit45 »

John Mills is one of my very favorite actors, Stuart. I also love Hobson's Choice, and especially Swiss Family Robinson.. I've recently seen In Which We Serve, & Morning Departure. He truly was a wonderful actor.

Thanks for starting this thread.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
RedRiver

Re: Sir John Mills revisted

Post by RedRiver »

Those wartime films with David Lean, Noel Coward and others are wonderful. Mr. Mills got a lot of attention for his role in RYAN'S DAUGHTER, and deserved it. But he was just as good in some smaller, more elegant stories. I fell in love with his daughter at the age of five!