Dorothy Malone

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Dorothy Malone

Post by stuart.uk »

it struck me that after the death of Lauren Bacall, one of Humphrey Bogart's flirtations from The Big Sleep is still alive, namely Dorothy Malone. The same age as Lauren Bacall when Dorothy had a small, but memorable role in TBS where as a prim looking dark haired employee in a book shop, she let down her hair and removed her glasses causing Bogie to say Hello. Unlike the lady taxi driver in TBS, who also flirted with Bogie, Dortothy Malone slowly but surely became a well known actress, working again and this time stealing the film from Lauren Bacall in Writted On The Wind.

Dorothy made some good westerns, some early in her career, some later, like The Nevaden and Tall Man Riding, both with Randolph Scott, [iTension At Table Rock, Warlock and The Last Sunset. During those years she went from an attractive Brunetter into an even more stunningly beautiful blonde.

Other notable films is as Doris Day's sister in Young At Heart, The Tarnished Angels, The Last Voyege and playing Diane, daughter of John, Barrymore in To Much To Soon.

A little before my time, but perhaps her most famous role was that of Constance McKenzie in the tv series Peyton Place, reprising Lana Turner's film role
Western Guy

Re: Dorothy Malone

Post by Western Guy »

Dorothy Malone is a fine actress, especially moving in a complex performance as the wife of Lon Chaney in MAN OF A THOUSAND FACES.

Another surviving Bogie co-star is a true "Queen of Noir": Lizabeth Scott, who made the "parachute jump" at the close of DEAD RECKONING.

Bless these gals!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Stone, I always enjoyed both actresses, Malone and Scott, in their day. I do hope that they are feeling well these days.
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I think it would be wonderful if both Dorothy and Lizabeth were featured at this April's TCM Film Festival.
I'm sure Robert Osborne or someone from the TCM staff would have contacted them and asked.
And, I hope they're both doing well; it would be exciting to see them and the fans there would cherish both.

Larry
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Larry, from what I hear Miss Scott has become somewhat of a recluse. However, she did answer a letter I wrote her a number of years ago, when I asked if she had any recollections of George Raft (she said she'd never even met Raft) and sent me a personally-inscribed gorgeous glossy of herself.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Stone,

It's often surprising to us that all these movie stars didn't always know each other.
I can see Geore Raft and Lizabeth Scott together in my 'mind's eye', but I guess it just wasn't so.

A funny interview with Zsa Zsa Gabor years ago - when she was asked about Alan Ladd - and she replied, "Vich husband vas he?" And, then laughingly, "Oh yes darling, he vas somebody elses!!"..... Turns out she'd never met him....

Larry
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Larry, you gave me a chuckle with your Gabor story. I could actually hear her voice in your telling.

Yeah, I found it odd, too, that Miss Scott's path never crossed with Raft's. They did seem a natural combo. And would have made a knockout noir couple. But you know, it was the same with my buddy Mickey Knox. He worked with all the great film tough guys from Cagney to Bogart to Robinson, but told me he'd never even met George Raft.