Luise Rainer

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Fossy

Luise Rainer

Post by Fossy »

Luise Rainer

I am a great admirer of Luise Rainer. I have seven of her nine English language movies. I have written to her twice each year for a few years now. She never replied, but that is not important. The main thing is that I was able to thank her for the pleasure she had given me by making those movies.

She was
The first Actress to win a second Oscar

Is the first (and only) Best Actress Oscar Winner to reach 100 years. Olivia de Havilland has only 18 months to go to reach her 100 years.

The first Actress to win back to back Oscars

At age 28 the youngest actress to win a second Oscar. (Jodie Foster was 29)

The first actress to win the Best Actress Oscar at each nomination and one of only four actresses to win each Oscar nomination. The others being Vivien Leigh, 1939 and 1951, Helen Hayes, 1931 and 1970, Hilary Swank 1999 and 2004.

When Irving Thalberg cast Paul Muni in the role of Wang Lung, he had to abandon any thought of casting the Chinese-American actress Anna May Wong as O-Lan as the Hays Office would not allow the hint of miscegenation, even between an actual Chinese woman and a Caucuasian actor in yellow-face drag. So, Thalberg , despite the efforts of Louis B. Mayer to block production, gave Luise Rainer the part, and she made O-Lan her own.

The oldest surviving Best Actress Oscar winners (in order).
Olivia de Havilland 98
Joanne Woodward 84
Ellen Burston 82
Shirley MacLaine 80
Louise Fletcher 80
Sophia Loren 80
Maggie Smith 80
Julie Andrews 79
Glenda Jackson 78
Jane Fonda 77
Julie Christie 73
Barbara Streisand 72
Last edited by Fossy on December 31st, 2014, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rita Hayworth

Re: Luise Rainer

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I like her very much too. Unfortunately, I did not see much of her movies because I never was around when her movies were playing on TV.

Fossy, thanks for the rundown of the actresses that still living that are older than 70. Appreciate that very much!
Vecchiolarry

Re: Luise Rainer

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Very sorry to hear this sad news; although she had a very long life and this was not unexpected..

R.I.P. Miss Rainer.

Larry