Post by CinemaInternational »

Fedya wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 6:06 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 21st, 2024, 10:11 pm
Fedya wrote: April 21st, 2024, 8:02 am

The man with the power?

Hoodoo?
You do.

(And I'm glad you got the reference.)
The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer, no less.
Fedya

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Fedya »

kingrat wrote: April 21st, 2024, 10:29 pm Diana Ross and Jean-Pierre Aumont make a great couple. They both have fabulous hair!
Not quite at the level of Patti Labelle and Michael McDonald, however:

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Get out your handkerchiefs for ALL MINE TO GIVE this evening. I've said this before and I'll say it again -- Max Steiner's score will immediately make you break down and cry even before the credits roll.

This is in keeping with the tribute to wonderful Glynis Johns who we recently lost. I only wish TCM would have been able to include MIRANDA.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 6:28 pm Get out your handkerchiefs for ALL MINE TO GIVE this evening. I've said this before and I'll say it again -- Max Steiner's score will immediately make you break down and cry even before the credits roll.

This is in keeping with the tribute to wonderful Glynis Johns who we recently lost. I only wish TCM would have been able to include MIRANDA.
I have scheduled for recording. I'll get my hankies ready but I must warn myself I am not a particularly avid fan of Steiner (except for Gone with the Wind) but whatever happens I shan't air any negativity. The blurb is not too encouraging neither but I will be ready for anything. I will have to break away from the NHL playoffs and that might be a difficult. But I can always watch later. Thanks for the alert. ////
Balboa Park, San Diego
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

laffite, I want your honest opinion of ALL MINE TO GIVE, good, bad or indifferent, lol. I have a lot more respect for Cameron Mitchell; watching this movie back-to-back with NO DOWN PAYMENT, it's easy to come to the conclusion that he just might have been an underrated actor.

Don't be spooked by Patty McCormack as one of the children, even though she is wearing her BAD SEED Rhoda Penmark pigtails.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 11:49 pm laffite, I want your honest opinion of ALL MINE TO GIVE, good, bad or indifferent, lol. I have a lot more respect for Cameron Mitchell; watching this movie back-to-back with NO DOWN PAYMENT, it's easy to come to the conclusion that he just might have been an underrated actor.

Don't be spooked by Patty McCormack as one of the children, even though she is wearing her BAD SEED Rhoda Penmark pigtails.
I saw this a few years back on TCM. Had never heard of it and really liked it. Didn't realize Patty was in it. A well done tear jerker.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

TCM has been showing All Mine To Give every Christmas for years. Beautiful, touching film.i always try to watch whenever it's shown.Watched again last night, that makes at least 5 times.
Rex Thompson who plays Robbie, played Tyrone Power's son in The Eddy Duchin Story a year before All Mine To Give . He was a very good child actor. I always thought all the kids in All Mine To Give gave such good performances.
Bronxgirl, I agree, Cameron Mitchell gave an excellent performance, always liked him.
Many years ago on our old TCM bds. Swithin recommended All Mine To Give, he had seen the film as a child, it was shown at his elementary school. I'm always grateful for his recommendation.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

KayFrancis wrote: April 24th, 2024, 10:29 am TCM has been showing All Mine To Give every Christmas for years. Beautiful, touching film.i always try to watch whenever it's shown.Watched again last night, that makes at least 5 times.
Rex Thompson who plays Robbie, played Tyrone Power's son in The Eddy Duchin Story a year before All Mine To Give . He was a very good child actor. I always thought all the kids in All Mine To Give gave such good performances.
Bronxgirl, I agree, Cameron Mitchell gave an excellent performance, always liked him.
Many years ago on our old TCM bds. Swithin recommended All Mine To Give, he had seen the film as a child, it was shown at his elementary school. I'm always grateful for his recommendation.
Thanks for remembering that, Kay. When I was at grade school in the Bronx, there were few controversies. We got our polio vaccines at school and saw a movie once a month. The one minor controversy was when the school showed All Mine to Give, because kids went home crying. On the surface it seems like an ideal film for kids: children as characters, pioneering America, the immigrant experience. But those final scenes did us in.

And of course it was all based on a true story written by Dale Eunson, son of Robbie, the character played by Rex Thompson. Eunson also collaborated on the screenplay.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I'm posting this to highlight how amazing Helen Mirren looks at age 78 (she'll be 79 in July).
Talk about aging graciously!

Here's a photo of young Helen Mirren:

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

KayFrancis wrote: April 24th, 2024, 10:29 am TCM has been showing All Mine To Give every Christmas for years. Beautiful, touching film.i always try to watch whenever it's shown.Watched again last night, that makes at least 5 times.

Cameron makes a funny but all too brief appearance as gangster Rojak trying to shut down King Kaiser's (Joseph Bologna) mob sketch in MY FAVORITE YEAR. Who knew he could do comedy as well?

Agree about Rex Thompson. Good also in YOUNG BESS.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

My favorite line in the original THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE, from Ben Stiller: "We had a bomb scare in the Bronx yesterday but it turned out to be a cantelope"

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE tomorrow! (Wednesday)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Ben Stiller. What a precocious kid. Just kiddin'. Pelham is a wonderful 1970s thriller.
Thrills, chills, spills, and laughs too. I was kind of hoping that Martin Balsam would
get away with it. I get a kick of the the finale, as if the sound of a sneeze would
hold up in court. Hey, it's just a movie.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 30th, 2024, 8:56 pm My favorite line in the original THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE, from Ben Stiller: "We had a bomb scare in the Bronx yesterday but it turned out to be a cantelope"

Good line alright here Bronxie, but, and while I hate to be a stickler here, I don't recall a then 9y/o BEN Stiller being in this flick at all! ;)

(...sorry, but this was just my smartassed way of saying that I think you meant to say JERRY Stiller here, my ol' friend)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

:smiley_heartbounce:
Dargo wrote: April 30th, 2024, 10:52 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 30th, 2024, 8:56 pm My favorite line in the original THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE, from Ben Stiller: "We had a bomb scare in the Bronx yesterday but it turned out to be a cantelope"

Good line alright here Bronxie, but, and while I hate to be a stickler here, I don't recall a then 9y/o BEN Stiller being in this flick at all! ;)

(...sorry, but this was just my smartassed way of saying that I think you meant to say JERRY Stiller here, my ol' friend)

Thank you dear one! Jerry of course! Please don't apologize for being a stickler as I tend to be one as well, always wanting to be as accurate as I can in my posts.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree wrote: April 30th, 2024, 10:51 pm Ben Stiller. What a precocious kid. Just kiddin'. Pelham is a wonderful 1970s thriller.
Thrills, chills, spills, and laughs too. I was kind of hoping that Martin Balsam would
get away with it. I get a kick of the the finale, as if the sound of a sneeze would
hold up in court. Hey, it's just a movie.

lol, I thought it was weird that the actor playing the NYC mayor was an Ed Koch look-a-like. He wouldn't become mayor until 1978. It should have been Abraham Beame in 1974. I realize they couldn't make fun of an actual real-life politician but as a born and bred New Yawker that definitely was Ed!