Lee Remick in The Days Of Wine And Roses

stuart.uk

Lee Remick in The Days Of Wine And Roses

Post by stuart.uk »

i don't know if it was meant or not, but it certainly enhanced the film. Lee Remick looked stunningly beautiful at the begining of the film about a tee-total young woman who falls for hard drinking Jack Lemen, who persuades her to have a drink with him an join in the fun. as the film progresses we see the once beautiful, but now alcholic Remick on a downward spiral as her husband Lemon stops drinking
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I never would have put Lee Remick on my list of 10 favorite actresses, or even my list of 25 favorite actresses. However, she is very good in "Days of Wine and Roses" and "Experiment in Terror" and everything else I've seen her in. However, I never watched a movie because she was in it.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I agree about Remick, Mike. I think she's beautiful, but in a cold and distant way, which does not comport with the types of characters she plays. I feel the same about Jane Fonda -- there is some necessary connection to the audience that is missing.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Stuart!

Lee is definitely one of my favorites now (I used to be cold on her myself but no more), however this movie is too painful to watch because of how her character ends up. That's how good she is, though.

What a beautiful song came out of it, by Mancini & Mercer.

Lee with co-star Jack Lemmon.

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Hi Miss G

hope you didn't mind all that stuff i sent to you. i don't know if you so any of it, but if you did i hope you enjoyed it. i got a bit carried away and wanted to share some of my cinematic pleasures

trying to find without any success one of Lee's great performances when she played Winston Churchill's American mother in Jennie: Lady Randolph Churchill in her hit UK tv series
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I did appreciate what you sent, Stuart. Any more word on your stories?

I want to see Jennie, too. Lee got good notices for that.
-- Will Rogers
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Miss. G

i did sent two months ago two different sample chapters of to the publisher who published JK Rowling's Harry Potters books, but nothing back so far. it doesn't look to good. i'm pretty close to finishing a story about an actress of the silent era, who is still able to give the likes of Julie Christie a run for her money in the flamour stakes in the mid 1960s

i was wondering what you thought of some of the stuff i sent you, the doc about The Sweeney, Lulu singing Shout, the clip from Ice Cold In Alex and Hobson's Choice
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I found the clips very interesting; I have Ice Cold in Alex in my rental queue but it says there is an indefinite wait so I don't know when I may receive it.

As for the Sweeney, like I've said, I don't care for it like I do Inspector Morse, it's far too gritty and not my style, but it was nice to see in the doc how everyone thought so highly of Thaw.
-- Will Rogers
bettyjoan

Lee Remick

Post by bettyjoan »

My husband adored Lee Remick. Class and a quiet loveliness. (Then why did he marry me?)

Days of Wine and Roses was so fine. Her subtle performance was a perfect foil for Lemon's ofttimes over-the-top manic performances. - It is too bad that she didn't get to do Wait Until Dark. I think Audrey's performance was hysterical insofar as she's supposedly flat blind but she's wearing scads of makeup including false eyelashes; hard enough to apply when you are a seeing person. Audrey wasn't able to be natural and drop the glamour. Lee would have been a natural.

Another fine performance is Lee's slutty wife in Anatomy of a Murder. She is quite seductive and you can feel the chemistry between her and a much-befuddled but attracted Jimmy Stewart.

I think the reason why I'm beginning to like her more and more is cause she didn't do that cooing, cuddle-me Professional Blonde act. She didn't try to make love to the audience. Maybe that subdued her 'star power' status, but I think she was the kind of real artist that shunned that. Had she lived, I'm sure she would have been one of our finest older actresses.
MissGoddess

Re: Lee Remick

Post by MissGoddess »

bettyjoan wrote:My husband adored Lee Remick. Class and a quiet loveliness. (Then why did he marry me?)

Days of Wine and Roses was so fine. Her subtle performance was a perfect foil for Lemon's ofttimes over-the-top manic performances. - It is too bad that she didn't get to do Wait Until Dark. I think Audrey's performance was hysterical insofar as she's supposedly flat blind but she's wearing scads of makeup including false eyelashes; hard enough to apply when you are a seeing person. Audrey wasn't able to be natural and drop the glamour. Lee would have been a natural.

Another fine performance is Lee's slutty wife in Anatomy of a Murder. She is quite seductive and you can feel the chemistry between her and a much-befuddled but attracted Jimmy Stewart.

I think the reason why I'm beginning to like her more and more is cause she didn't do that cooing, cuddle-me Professional Blonde act. She didn't try to make love to the audience. Maybe that subdued her 'star power' status, but I think she was the kind of real artist that shunned that. Had she lived, I'm sure she would have been one of our finest older actresses.
Hi Bettyjoan! Thank you for your appreciative comments about one of my favorite actresses. It's true that she wasn't a "showy" actress by nature, and also by the serendipity of when she was born...just at the tail end of the studio system (which I love). It makes her appealing to me in that she has the individuality and charisma of a studio era "star", yet she is also timeless.

She is also one of the few blonde starlets who could be "classy" or seductive onscreen. Usually, you were one or the other.
-- Will Rogers
bettyjoan

Lee Remick

Post by bettyjoan »

There was a wonderful, unique magazine in days of yore, called 'Horizon' -but it wasn't exactly a magazine: it was a hardcover, slim publication that featured arts and culture of the highest order. - The one Hollywood actress they featured was Lee. Quite a compliment.

I haven't seen The Omen. - Since I'm just joining your forum I think y'all better know that I have dropped out big-time from movie-going since the late 70's. I saw what direction 'cinema' was taking. (I was also a young, classically trained actress that thought she was gonna do Shakespeare and then discovered that since I had no connections, not only was I never gonna get a job, but even the ones that did - Hanoi Jane, for instance, had to get naked, invariably. Even on the stage.)

Is The Omen something I should check out?
MissGoddess

Re: Lee Remick

Post by MissGoddess »

bettyjoan wrote:There was a wonderful, unique magazine in days of yore, called 'Horizon' -but it wasn't exactly a magazine: it was a hardcover, slim publication that featured arts and culture of the highest order. - The one Hollywood actress they featured was Lee. Quite a compliment.

I haven't seen The Omen. - Since I'm just joining your forum I think y'all better know that I have dropped out big-time from movie-going since the late 70's. I saw what direction 'cinema' was taking. (I was also a young, classically trained actress that thought she was gonna do Shakespeare and then discovered that since I had no connections, not only was I never gonna get a job, but even the ones that did - Hanoi Jane, for instance, had to get naked, invariably. Even on the stage.)

Is The Omen something I should check out?

Hi BJ! I studied and pursued acting quite seriously for a few years, too, before I changed directions. It can be TOUGH!! I know what you mean about the challenges to your values.

The Omen is not going to give you an amazing Lee Remick performance (or a durable one---be warned she doesn't last to the end). I don't like horror movies like that much but the one good thing is seeing Lee working with Greg Peck. I think they made a wonderful couple. ALMOST as good as Lee was with Frank Sinatra (in The Detective). Too bad they didn't do another movie together.

There are other, better Lee Remick performances out there besides The Omen.
-- Will Rogers
bettyjoan

Lee Remick

Post by bettyjoan »

Thanks for your feedback. - I never saw The Detective either, but you know, it seems ol' blue eyes got better as he got older. - Could have become a serious actor. (Finally became a little of a serious person after his maturing marriage to Barbara Marx.)

Can you recommend some of those cool-seeming, really dated (thankfully) 60's movies that Frankie did? I would love to bone up on some of those. They froze the actual pre-Beatles 60's for all time.

Hmmm - Mr. Peck. Now that is another discourse. I could love him or leave him. His rose-colored political glasses really colored his choice of roles and performances.