Seven Women

stuart.uk

Seven Women

Post by stuart.uk »

Spoiler Alert

7 Women was John Ford's last film as a director and not a bad effort at that. It was about 7 women Missionaries working in the field

I don't want to cause any offence by suggesting Anne Bancroft played a masculine type heroine, but she played a much stronger character than Eddie Abert's only male character in the mission, who appeared a weak man at the begining of the film. To be fair to Albert's character however, he did redeem himself, sacrificing his life in attempt to save the 7 women from a Mongolian War Lord.

It was left to Bancroft's athiest Doctor, to try and save the situation by sleeping with the War lord, in an attempt to keep everyone alive. Then when she managed to get them released, she poisened the War Lord, before committing suicide, drinking the same substance.

One of the interesting aspects of the film was Bancroft's relationship with mission leader Margaret Leighton. Leighton totally disapproved Bancroft's live style, such as smoking and drinking. Leighton cracked up during the siege, but that didn't stop her being judgemental about Bancroft's behaviour, even though it was keeping her and her fellow missionaries alive. Even when she learned of Bancroft's suicide Leighton continued to be critical, until a fellow missionary told her to shut up
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

I thought the movie was excellent. Bancroft is so much fun in the film, and it's a tight, exciting movie.

My only complaint was how absolutely annoying Eddie Albert's wife was. She was always shrieking about something.

It's a shame it's never been brought out on VHS or DVD, it's one of my favorite John Ford films.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Howdy Stuart!

I appreciate 7 Women the more I see it. Some scenes feel a little weak, but then the Old Man was running low on gas at that point. But the strong scenes are excellent, particularly Bancroft's and Leighton's. Pappy was beginning to explore some interesting territory, obviously intrigued by how women would interrelate and handle a situation that in most movies would have been written for male roles in mind. I like his guts, no swinging-on-the-porch movies for that wild colonial boy in his sunset years.

It's not a perfect movie at all, but it is quite remarkable for a finale and not at all what people would have expected from him, I'm sure. And he liked it that way---giving people what they least expected.

Stuart---can you refresh my memory as to who was ORIGINALLY cast in Bancroft's role? I know she was a somewhat late replacement but I forget for whom (or is it "who"?).
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Hi there Miss G

I had to check it out, but it was Patricia Neal who was the original choice for the role. Sadly she had to withdraw because of a stroke.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Pat Neal, that's right! How could I have forgotten. Thank you mon ami.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers