GWTW: 70 Years Old & Still The Belle Of The Ball

MissGoddess

GWTW: 70 Years Old & Still The Belle Of The Ball

Post by MissGoddess »

Hello again!

Well I'm back from seeing Gone with the Wind in just about the best way imaginable:
in Atlanta, in the Fox Theater and in the company of almost 5,000 die-hard fans (the
majority of whom were, of course, southerners :D ).

After 70 years, Scarlett is still the cutest little trick in shoe leather.

The Fox Theater really lives up to the name "movie palace" and we were treated
to a little taste of what seeing a movie like GWTW must have been like back in the
day. The theater was built to mimic an Egyptian palace, complete with all the trimmings
including a ceiling that really does look like the deep, velvety night sky over Cairo filled
with twinkling stars and floating gossamer clouds. Being designed for live performances
as well as film showings, there is a real proscinium stage and a full size orchestra pit. I
got a sneak peak back stage and I swear it gave me chills---the smell of the old wood,
seeing the curtain pulls and the ropes hanging and then a spot light---I almost felt
like Ginger Rogers for a whole minute!

The theater also boasts a beautiful, custom made and ornately gilded Moller organ they
affectionately dubbed "Mighty Mo" and before the movie started, it rose from the orchestra
pit and was played by Larry Douglas Embury who is their organist "in residence". It was a
lot of fun and all very theatrical, even the audience members go in the act: there were three
couples dressed in Southern attire of the period. They were seated in the row just in front
of mine so I got a close look at the costumes and they looked very authentic, right
down to the ear-bobs and shoe buttons.

Then, Robert Osborne came on stage where he was joined by authors Molly Haskell
(Frankly My Dear) and Michael Sragow (Victor Fleming: An American
Master)
and they proceeded to answer previously submitted audience questions
about the epic. Robert Osborne finished up by relating a telephone conversation
he had just shared with Olivia de Havilland, who asked he extend her pleasure
at knowing the movie still attracted so much love and attention (and box office), which she
added was a testament to the talents of Margaret Mitchell and David O. Selznick.

As you can imgine, that went down very well with us in the audience!

Still, as fun as the preliminaries were, you just can't compare them to the goose
pimples I think many of us felt as that ornately embroidered curtain was raised in
state to the opening bells tolling their fanfare to the Selznick logo. It sparked the first of
MANY bursts of applause and cheers. (To say Atlanta is receptive to this movie
after 70 years is an understatement of almost offensive proportions.) I thought
NYC was vocal and excited at the screening I saw recently, but after all, this
was HOME for Scarlett and Rhett.

I've never seen this film on such an enormous screen, and together with the
unique acoustics of such a theater it made for a heady experience I'll never
forget. People were taking photos of the movie screen during certain scenes,
which was a little excessive, ha! I think one of the biggest rounds of
applause came for the scene when Scarlett shoots the Yankee! It
was Atlanta, after all.

Outside the theater there were parked two cars: a beautiful creme colored
sedan and a navy blue roadster, both circa 1939 and which were
in the Atlanta motorcade for the movie premiere (the cream one
charioted Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh, as well as one of the last living
Confederate veterans). Those were pretty cool. I almost expected
to see Norma Desmond step right out of one of them.

All in all, it was a glorious way to personally cap off one of
the most exciting and meaningful of weeks, and for which I'm
extremely grateful to have participated.

P.S. Here is a link to the website for the theater, which tells a little
about its history and has a few pictures. This was not the
theater that hosted the premiere for Gone with the Wind. That
was the Loews Grand (pictured below), which sadly was torn down.
The Fox nearly suffered the same fate.

http://www.foxtheatre.org/history.htm

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Re: GWTW: 70 Years Old & Still The Belle Of The Ball

Post by mrsl »

Miss Goddess:

It's so sad that people have no respect or admiration for tradition or antiquities. Chicago had several movie theaters like you describe and I know many other cities also have them, but shamefully, many of them have been renovated to become 4 or 6 plex. On the day before my 16th birthday, my best friend, her boyfriend, and my first boyfriend went to see GWTW downtown at one of the movie palaces, and although I don't recall the place, I do recall the splendor and spectacular look of the movie. It's so sad that so many young people will never have such an experience.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

April, the whole experience sounds so wonderful -- how lucky you were to be there.

I can remember my own GWTW theater experience, it must be close to 40 years ago, seeing the film in color for the first time, seeing it on a big screen for the first time, the rush of recognition when the theme song was first heard, since we all knew it from TV's "Million Dollar Movie" -- and what I remember most: the gasp from the entire audience the first time Clark Gable's face appeared on the screen. And this was in Brooklyn, not Atlanta! You're right, Anne -- there's nothing to compare with a classic movie in a theater.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I saw GWTW ten years ago when the new multiplex opened it showed GWTW. There were cheers there too, especially when Clark Gabel appeared. It must have been amazing to see it in Atlanta. Thanks for sharing.

Clark Gable was really sexy as Rhett, wasn't he :D . Clark and the Rhett were perfect casting, as were Vivien and Scarlett. That's something that is really difficult to achieve when so many have read the book and have definite ideas about it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi everyone,

This was my first experience seeing a movie in one of those "palaces" of the era,
and it completely spoiled me. I now wish I could find one and buy it and restore
it myself. Big dreams!

I find the normal movie theaters so banal, so blah now.

My first vieiwng of GWTW on the big screen was with my Mother in Dallas when
I was little. I never forgot what a new experience it was to see a movie with
an "intermission"!

I also got to visit the Margaret Mitchell house and museum, which was wonderful,
and it inspired me to look up another biography on her. I haven't read one since
I was a teen. I may start with the one that's mostly a collection of several of
her letters.

Her rooms reminded me so much of the old Victorian house I grew up in.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I don't have a copy of the book around here right now, but if you look up the bar-B-Q at Twelve Oaks and find the description of Rhett there at the bottom of the stairs where Scarlett sees him for the first time, it's a pure description of Clark Gable as far as I read it.

Vivien is another story. Somehow she never quite filled the part for me. She always seemed to be missing something. In the book you laughed at her coy little 'belle' ways, always flirting, and being the typical Southern belle as pictured. You felt sorry for her being 'used' by Ashley at first. You also understood her unhappiness at having to be a widow at so young an age, and wearing that awful black. As the book goes on, you laugh with her, love with her, get jealous with her, and all the other emotions she goes through, until that terrible moment at the end as you and she watch Rhett walk away.

I felt those emotions with Jane Wyman as she showed them in Johnny Belinda, and Norma Shearer as Mary in The Women, and so many other actresses who took charge of their characters and made them real people to the audience. Vivien never did that for me. I disliked Scarlett throughout the movie, yet while reading the book, I liked her and found excuses for her bad behavior, Vivien played her as a self-absorbed, jealous, spoiled brat who never grew up emotionally. I always wished Paulette Goddard had gotten the part. She goes through a lot of that in Reap the Wild Wind, even as a southern belle.

Even feeling like this, I still love the movie :!: :!: :!:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************