FORTUNES COOKIE

mrsl

FORTUNES COOKIE

Post by mrsl »

.Fortune's Cookie

I watched a different kind of movie yesterday that I'm not sure how to classify. It's not really either comedy or drama. Aunt Cookie commits suicide, but her prim and proper sister can't let the town know it was suicide, so she sets it up to look like murder, and eventually, the black man who helped around the house becomes the No. 1 suspect. As I said, it wasn't funny, but it wasn't dramatic either. It's from 1999 and so full of stereotypes it's almost embarrassing to watch. Patricia Neal is Aunt Cookie - it took me at least a half hour to figure out who she was. I knew the voice like my own, but couldn't fit the face until I looked it up in the cast and crew section of IMDb. The prim and proper sister was Glenn Close as a real Mad Hatter character with daughter Joanna Moore like some sort of zombie just 'yes momma-ing' to everything. Finally we have Liv Tyler as a wacky twenty something teen aged tomboy - another one that made me put on my thinking cap since I haven't seen her lately. When NCIS Los Angeles started, I didn't know who Chris O'Donnel was, but there he is looking fine but playing a drip. After 4 or 5 Joel McCrea's, I had to look at something else and chose this ding-a-ling movie. Of course the stereotyping comes in with the weird characters like Glenn Close' trying to keep up the pretense since "Daddy lost everything". Then the 'no backbone' overage debutante of Joanna Moore, Also I've explained Liv Tyler, and the "uncle" who seemingly shuffles around but really is the only one in the movie who has any smarts or sense about him. I guess it is fun though if you have someone there to laugh with you. Try it, you might like it.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************