History Is Made At Night (1937)

Fossy

Post by Fossy »

History Is made At Night (1937)

Irene—Jean Arthur
Paul-A Waiter—Charles Boyer
Cesare—A Chef—Leo Carillo
Bruce Vail—Irene`s insanely jealous husband.

Bruce believes that the faithful Irene has another man. She flees and divorces him. Bruce will not accept that he is being divorced and pursues her to Paris. She must not be compromised while awaiting her final decree, so Bruce arranges for the chauffeur to be caught with her.

Paul, in an adjoining unit hears the commotion, sees her being manhandled and comes to her rescue. Enter Bruce and a witness, Paul produces a gun, robs and kidnaps Irene. Paul returns her jewels, they go to a nightclub where they dance all night, and fall in love.

Irene goes home, having arranged to meet Paul at 5:00pm. The police are at her flat, where the butler has been bashed to death by Bruce. Now the police are looking for Paul, but if Irene sails with Bruce at 3:00pm he will arrange for Paul not to be charged.

She sails with Bruce. Paul is distraught and not knowing of the murder, sets off in pursuit. Eventually he finds her in New York and she tries to persuade him to flee with her to Tahiti, but an innocent man has been charged, so the couple set out for Paris on board Bruce`s new liner “Princess Irene”. Meantime the innocent man has been released, and, unknown to Paul, it has been established that he could not have committed the crime.

Bruce wants to set a new record for the Atlantic crossing and orders the Captain to go full steam ahead. The ship crashes into an iceberg and is sinking, but Irene does not want to live without Paul and refuses to get into the lifeboat.

Meanwhile Bruce hears of the tragedy, and that thousands of passengers will die. He writes a confession and tops himself.

The ship does not sink, the passengers will be saved, and Paul and Irene are in one another`s arms.
Last edited by Fossy on December 11th, 2013, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vienna

Re: History Is Made At Night (1937)

Post by Vienna »

I'm not sure of the purpose of your post - is it to make fun of the movie? Personally I love it and wish we could get a DVD release. It is one of the very few dramas Jean Arthur did and I think she is wonderful.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

It is one of Charles Boyer and Jean Arthur's most enduring dramas ever made and I for one, enjoyed this film immensely and it's has a charm of its own rights. And, I always :) when I get a chance to watch it on television.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Jean Arthur is pretty much brilliant in everything she does and is perfect foil to every leading man she worked with, Boyer really gets to her romantic side and she with him. I'm a big fan, it's a perfect love story however far fetched. I'm not sure of the point of the original post, it doesn't do the film justice, perhaps in lesser hands it would have seemed funny but with such seasoned performers it's a film to remember.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oooh, This is one of my favorite Boyer films - you are so right about his bringing Jean out romantically. She's very soft and lovely here. This is just about my favorite Borzage movie. He convinces you of the lighter side at the beginning, and of the darker side at the end. I totally buy it, even though if you told me the story, play by play, I would never think it could work...I don't think the OP was making fun, just relating the story.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Vienna said--I'm not sure of the purpose of your post - is it to make fun of the movie? Personally I love it and wish we could get a DVD release. It is one of the very few dramas Jean Arthur did and I think she is wonderful.

Charliechaplinfan said] (in part) it doesn't do the film justice,

JackFavell said (in part) I don't think the OP was making fun, just relating the story.

The comment by JackFavell is 100% correct. The comment by Charliechaplinfan is also probably correct. Having read and reread my posting a number of times, I can see perhaps a tendency to understatement. Had I thought that the movie was funny I would have posted it in the comedy section.

Bruce displayed insane passion for his wife, even to the point of bashing his chauffeur to death and blaming it on the man he believed to be his wife`s lover (Paul). Nothing funny about that.

The first time Paul and Irene looked into each other`s eyes, nothing was said, but love at first sight was obvious. When Irene was being forced into the lifeboat, she battled with all who tried to restrain her. If Paul was to die when the ship went down she was going to die with him and nothing was going to stop her. These two scenes were as romantic as any I have seen in any movie. Nothing funny about that.

This movie must be on DVD because I have it.

Jean Arthur made 96 movies in a 31 year career. Of these 15 were shorts or uncredited. Of the 81 remaining she was listed as the star 13 times and listed second 45 times. About half her movies were silents. I have 22 of her movies, the earliest being Danger Lights (1930) and the latest A Foreign Affair (1948). I have a lot of time for Jean Arthur.
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

So sorry,Fossy. I did not mean to offend. I just didnt know what you thought of this movie .I'm so glad you like it.
I do have a copy ,from Tv many years ago.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I do remember the first time I watched it, when they were sat waiting to drown I did think it was getting far into the realms of being far fetched but Borzage's best films have always been in the realm of fantasy, you've just got to go along for the ride with this one and for us females wish we were in Jean Arthur's shoes.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I saw this movie and was surprised and enchanted by it. My gosh, it took twists and turns didn't it. The idea of Colin Clive destroying an entire ocean liner just to kill his wife and her lover is fascinatingly over-the-top. A mad man...I love it. And the romance of Boyer and Arthur...sigh!!! Love it.

Borzage is reelin' in this Maven.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com