Love Affair or An Affair to Remember?

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

They all had it, the actors of the Golden Age, that ability to say volumes with just a look. Very few of today's young actors have it.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I don't mean to turn this into a Cary Grant thread, but this CG tribute on YouTube has Vic Damone singing the theme to An Affair to Remember, and -- Cary and Vic in the same place -- well, it's just too much to resist.
[youtube][/youtube]
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

WOW! :shock: What a way to start the day! Vic and Cary....a lethal combination for this old heart..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Can you think of any other movie star that aged as gracefully as Cary Grant? I can't either!

Thanks for kick-starting my day, Judith.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

jdb1 wrote:I don't mean to turn this into a Cary Grant thread, but this CG tribute on YouTube has Vic Damone singing the theme to An Affair to Remember, and -- Cary and Vic in the same place -- well, it's just too much to resist.
Thanks for posting that. I concur, Cary Grant was (and still is) just the best. That man was talented (stating the obvious) and was good looking and charming until the day he passed away (again, I state the obvious).

A great way to start the morning!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

mrsl wrote:They all had it, the actors of the Golden Age, that ability to say volumes with just a look. Very few of today's young actors have it.

Anne
Anne, the sad thing is I can't think of an actor today who does have it.

Cary Grant, sigh, he really did have it. Never so much as in his screwball comedy phase. A tad too orange for me in his later years. Very good looking though.

I remember on a previous board I posted on that a member had said that her mother had seen Cary in the flesh and he was stunning. How jealous I am.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Vienna

Re: Love Affair or An Affair to Remember?

Post by Vienna »

Don't normally like remakes, but prefer An Affair to Remember, mainly because I'm not a fan of Charles Boyer.
Would have loved Grant and Dunne together. I agree Cary can convey so much with his facial expressions. He is so moving too in the scene where he touches the chairs where Deborah Kerr and Cathleen Nesbitt have sat. You feel his pain.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh I definitely like Love Affair better, it's got such a light touch, and Boyer.... ooh la la! He and Dunne have such chemistry.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I prefer LOVE AFFAIR over AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER because of the Charm of BOYER and the Beauty and Grace of DUNNE.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I dragged this older thread up to point out a couple of different impressions.

1. This is one of those movies that I have watched countless (and I mean literally countless) times. I watched them over and over usually simply because I love the storyline, such as Casablanca and Steel Magnolias. I used two movies from different generations because for Steel Magnolias, a terrific cast, good story, and great director all combined to make a memorable film, as had been done during the 40's and 50's. In the 13 years since the turn of the century, there have only been a handful of movies that I have enjoyed several times and will try to purchase when they go on the $5.00 rack, two of them being, We Bought a Zoo, and The Holiday ( where about one quarter of the film is spent in talking about classic movies. Very few recent films have the charm and lasting impressions of the earlier eras.

2. As many time as I've seen An Affair to Remember (the first time when I was about 14, more than a half century ago), it only occurred to me today watching it on another cable channel that we never see Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr in a kissing scene. Oh, they do a lot of quick pecks on the cheek, but never any real embraces. Even at the very end they don't kiss, it's just a big hug and drying each other's tears.

3. Having discovered another new channel INSP, I'm watching Little House on the Prairie again. A program which again, I have seen many episodes 3 and 4 times, but never tire of them.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Love Affair, 88 minutes, featured pot bellied actor Charles Boyer, complete with receding hairline, and a magnetism to Irene Dunne which could be seen and felt throughout the entire show. Add to this the performance of the great Maria Ouspenskaya and we have a truly great film. The film received six Oscar nominations, four for the movie, for Irene , Best actress, and for Maria best supporting actress.

An Affair To Remember,119 minutes. A colour movie, and a good movie, great to watch receiving four Oscar nominations for the movie, and no nominations for the wooden stars, Cary Grant , Deborah Kerr (even if she is one of the loveliest actresses of all time) and Cathleen Nesbitt.

As one would expect, sound, visual clarity, and colour improved greatly in the eighteen years between the movies. Nevertheless my preference is definitely for the original.

The movie was updated and remade again in 1994 with Warren Beatty , Annette Bening and Katherine Hepburn, but I have not seen this show.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my Fossy, you are pretty straightforward here, good luck with the responses! Some people are really crazy about the Grant film. Nevertheless, I agree with you about Love Affair, I really find it more to my taste than the other one, though I find myself watching either when they are on TCM.

Even if I were to admit that Boyer had a belly, I'd still say he was one of the sexiest men who ever graced the screen. :D
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Wooden stars? :evil: I enjoy both movies but lean toward the remake because of Grant. I watched, but never cared for, the Beatty/Bening version.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Lomm, Grant is marvelous, and there is NOTHING better in this world than Grant in a European setting. MAYBE Boyer in a European setting. :D :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I say it a thousand times ... the team of BOYER and DUNNE is hard to beat and I find that Charles Boyer's charm too irresistible to pass up and when you add the grace and the beauty of Irene Dunne ... this pairing is a sure fire thing. I rather watch LOVE AFFAIR over AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER any day of the week. I love AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER ... but not as good as LOVE AFFAIR elegance and romance that both Boyer and Dunne brings.