THEM! (1954) on TCM Sat Feb 2

ken123

Post by ken123 »

Bug exterminator makes me think of former GOP House Leader Tom Delay ( Mr. Delay was in the exterminating business before before being elected to Congress in 1984 ) and the right wing and tempts to to something nasty, but I won't . :lol:
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Brilliant discussion about an amazing film. All I can add is that the first time my brother and I watched Them! was on Creature Features on a Saturday night. We’d convinced my grandparents that our bedtime was later then it really was, and they (foolishly) let us stay up to watch it. Not only were we up all night, the next day neither one of us would stop singing, “Make me a sergeant, give me the booze.”

Ken123:

Had no idea Delay was an exterminator. Explains a lot....
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
ken123

Re: THEM! (1954) on TCM Sat Feb 2

Post by ken123 »

1230am Friday-night - Saturday morning. 3/13/10 ET :D :wink:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Set your timers if you can. This is one 1950's sci-fi that, except for the ants, is not phony. The acting, camera work, sets, etc. are all on the level. You may laugh the first time you see the ants, but from then on, the story should take over. I believe, even as an adult, what Lauren Bacall said holds true on Them; "If you've never seen this before, it will be like a brand new movie for you".
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I hope it's OK to revive this thread on my favorite "Big Monster" movie! This is my first time on SSO.

This precisely structured adventure is simply outstanding. The first couple of scenes, arguably the best in horror films, set the stage beautifully. As always, the suspense is in what MIGHT happen, what YOU KNOW is going to happen. You just don't know when. It's terrifying, and it's brilliant.

The well drawn characters have just enough depth to serve the story. We don't need Shakespearean complexity. The story needs to move quickly and efficiently. It succeeds in this, thanks to fine writing and filming. It builds steadily to an exciting climax, though, as in most adrenaline pumpers, the journey is the best part!

I envy the poster who saw the movie upon its initial release. I was born that year! I caught it on afternoon TV about ten years later. That did the trick, thank you!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver, "Them" is one of my favorites too! Nice knowing that we have another fan of this movie. I enjoyed reading your comments ... and one more thing, a big welcome to our community ... I'm happy that you've joined us!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Red,

Welcome to the SSO! Unlike TCM City, we encourage our community to revive threads that have been dormant for awhile.

Hope you have fun here!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Did anyone notice, a couple of weeks back, when TCM aired The Black Scorpion (1957), that the scorpions sounded exactly like the ants in Them? I wonder if it's just a coincidence. Although I suppose it's possible that when insects get to a certain size they all start to sound the same to our, relatively, small ears.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MichiganJ wrote:Did anyone notice, a couple of weeks back, when TCM aired The Black Scorpion (1957), that the scorpions sounded exactly like the ants in Them? I wonder if it's just a coincidence. Although I suppose it's possible that when insects get to a certain size they all start to sound the same to our, relatively, small ears.
I was thinking of the same thing!

Sound Effects between these two movies are frighteningly alike! Glad you've brought this up ...
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Giant bugs speak pretty much the same language the world over. Regional accents vary. You can always spot the ones from Boston. But, for the most part, it's universal.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

That helps explain the attitude I got from a pretty big centipede I encountered when I was visiting my brother in New Jersey (Exit 23). After almost accidentally stepping on it, it barked, "Yo pal, what sup witch yew!" and then gave me the fingers. (In Jersey, the bugs tawk.)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Watching James Whitmore in "Them!" (1954) on TCM (for the umpteenth time), I realized that I love this guy! He is the one who protects the little girl (Sandy Descher) wandering in the desert, embraces her in the hospital after she emerges from shock and starts screaming (everyone else just looks appalled) and *sob* he is the one who goes in the tunnel to save the kids from the giant ants. Great movie. Great actor...I think I watch this whenever it's on 'cause I hope it turns out differently just this once.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I watched it too ... and I never get tired of it. It's one of those rare Science Fiction Movies that never goes out of style, I love James Whitmore and that darling little girl (Sandy Descher) in a memorable role. I must have seen this movie well over a Baker's Dozen and every time I see it ... I get a very different perspective of the movie itself. This movie is a great classic science fiction movie that came out in the 1950's of where these movies are so popular back then.

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one watching ... thanks for your previous post Moira!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm violating parole in commenting about this classic. The Board of Corrections has forbidden me to ever speak of it again! This IS one of the great ones. It NEVER goes out of style. And I NEVER get tired of it. In fact, any way in which it appears old fashioned and cliched merely enhances the effect. It's the 50's. Get on board! The formatting of the story is spellbinding. Like most great thrillers, the gradual unfolding is more exciting than the climax itself.

James Whitmore brought life to everything he did. Likeable and sincere, he's a guy you care about. From THE LAW AND MR. JONES to WILL ROGERS, with the occasional conversation with God at the kitchen table, he was an actor of great depth and strength. Someone on the message board called him the poor man's Spencer Tracy. That's a fairly accurate description, and a compliment that's deserved.

An old friend calls this "the first and best of the big bug movies!" I can't swear it's the very first. But I'm pretty sure it's the best!

Hold on a second. My parole officer is calling. I have to go!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I've said it before and I don't mind saying it again, I'm with moira on this one, I will watch Them anytime, anyplace and anywhere. Years ago I taped it on a video tape an watched it over and over, considering that I am now well into my 60's, and TCM has played it at least twice a year (if not more), and I've watched it every time, I estimate that I really have seen Them at the very least 50 times so far. I also love James Whitmore in everything he does, and I also watch it always hoping against hope (and sense), that this time the ending will be different and Whitmore will make it into that tunnel after the kids. According to our host, Mr. Mankewicz, Them was the first of the big bug movies, and I've also said nobody better try to remake it. They would just be foolish and wasting money like they did with The Thing. I'll take the old black and white science based Thing any time over the colored confused mess the remake turned it into.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************