The Brave Little Toaster

MikeBSG

The Brave Little Toaster

Post by MikeBSG »

I'm starting this thread in memory of Thomas M. Disch, who died July 4th.

Disch was one of the "New Wave" science fiction authors of the 1960s. In 1980, he published "The Brave Little Toaster," in which appliances make a cross-country trip to find the people who have left them behind in a summer cabin. (It is a parody of "The Incredible Journey" in which pets make such a trip. IJ has been filmed twice, once realistically in the Sixties, and with animals talking in the 90s by Disney.)

"Brave Little Toaster" is far sunnier than most of Disch's work.

"The Brave Little Toaster" became an animated film around 1990. Some of the people involved went on to make "Toy Story." I don't think BLT got much theatrical release, but it did well enough on video to spawn two direct to video sequels, "Brave Little Toaster to the Rescue" and "Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars."

The three were fun movies, and my children liked them a lot. Sometimes we still say "Good morning, toaster."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I remember seeing The Brave When Little Toaster when it was released. My memory is a little hazy but I remember enjoying it and thinking it was done rather cleverly and with a pinch of flair.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

So it actually was in theaters? What city was this?
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi Mike,
I'm in Seattle.

I believe that I caught it at a film festival (of which we have several annually). So I don't know if it received a wide general release or not.

This was back in the days before having kids so I was able to haunt the local festivals and drink my fill of obscure films.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.