Hunt for new Doctor Who

stuart.uk

Hunt for new Doctor Who

Post by stuart.uk »

Last week David Tennant announced he's leaving Doctor Who at the end of the next series. Mind you, though nobody has suggested it, but he might return, because he was cloned into a part human part Time Lord in the last episode of the last series. So even if he's killed off, his human self, who can't regenerate could still potentially appear as a guest.

I know many fans, particulary in the U.S will disagree, but IMHO Tennent is the best Doctor to date.

So the Beeb are looking for a new Doctor. However, what's going to happen. The next Doctor will be number 11 and he only has 12 lives. How are the writers going to work that out. Both the son's of past Doctors Patrick Throughton and Jon Pertwee have been mentioned, but I think that's unlikely.

I did wonder if the girl, who appeared in The Doctor's Daughter, might take over.

We still have Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Mysteries.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Robert Carlyle is the most famous actor to be on the betting list for the role. A few would like to see a female Doctor and Joanna Lumley has for the last 20-yrs been thought of as a possible candidate, if that was ever to be the case.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Bring back Tom Baker and the cheesy but amusing production values of yesteryear.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Moira, I suspect you're last post was a little tonge in cheek as Tom Baker is now a short grey haired old man, carrying a few pounds extra, compared to the lean youngish figure he potrayed in Doctor Who. Remember he was killed of and regenerated into Peter Davidson, who to be fair has retained some of his youthful looks from his own stint as The Doctor, but I don't know if something like The Five Doctors that had William Hartnell, Patrick Throughton, Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker all appearing, would now be pratical.

I think too that modern day audiences would and expect the show to continue its high production values with great special effects.

However, I think it was tribute Tom Baker's Doctor that the last 3 episodes of David Tennant's last series was a direct sequel to Genesis Of The Daleks, argueably his best storyline. As well as the return of Dalek creator Davros was the inclusion of Elsabeth Sladen's Sarah Jane, who was Baker's assistant in the original story and reprised her role this time as companion of Tennant, along with John Barrowman (Torchwood) Billie Piper and Catherine Tate.

The recent show reminded me of Intependance Day and it's lavish production
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

On BBC 1s charity show Children In Need we got a big clue as to who the new Doctor might be, as they showed a two minute preview of the up coming Christmas special The Return Of The Cybermen.

David Tennant's Doctor arrives on Earth 1850, where he hears a girl cry out Doctor. When he gets to her she asks Who are you, to which he replies The Doctor No you're not, you don't even look like him, she answers.

The an actor in period costume runs up and Tennant asks Who Are You, to which he replies The Doctor, the one and only.

The actor is David Morrissey. It's seems what they've done is have Tennant and his next regeneration accidently bump into each other while travelling in time. However, if that's the case, the change over won't take place until after Tennant films the next series
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Spoiler Alert

It seems we can discount David Morrisey as the new Doctor Who. It looks like producer Russell Davies through in a red herring in the Christmas Special The Next Doctor The Return Of The Cybermen. , because Morrisey's character due to a blunder by The Cybermen, believed he really was the Doctor and it took current Doctor David Tennant, who originally though he was a regeneration, to work out he actually wasn't.

So maybe recent leaks might be true, a female Doctor might be a possiblity. Lesley Sharp and Catherine Zeta Jones have been mentioned. I wonder if British born Amanda Tapping might be interested, after great performances in Stargate SGI and Sanctuary