Sci-Fi in the 60's

cinemalover

Sci-Fi in the 60's

Post by cinemalover »

The 1960's gave us Sci-Fi films ranging from excellent to completely laughable. Some still champion the merits of 2001:a Space Odyssey (1968), others may prefer the sexy goofiness of Barbarella (1967). You may remember the laugh-fest that was The Slime People (1963) or you may prefer to watch Charlton Heston scream at apes in Planet of the Apes (1968). What are some of the Sci-Fi films made in the 60's that stand out in your memory for good or bad reasons?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

JohnM,
Out of curiosity, do you remember how old you were when you first saw 2001? I was about 9 when it came out and I saw in at a Cinerama theatre. I absolutely loved the first 80% of the movie, but the ending was just beyond my comprehension at that age and spoiled the rest of the movie for me. I don't know if anyone else had that experience, or if I was just a dense kid.
Chris

Dewey1960

60s Sci-Fi

Post by Dewey1960 »

As with so many folks, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY bores me silly. I was 21 when I saw it on the big Cinerama screen in downtown Detroit and I couldn't wait for it to be over. The pretentiousness of it all was a bit unbearable for me and I longed to be back in my own living room watching INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS or EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS. I've watched 2001 a few times since and have never enjoyed it, although I do enjoy many of Kubrick's other films.
One particular science fiction film from the early 60s that really stands out for me is THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE, a black & white British film directed by Val Guest. In it, the Earth has been shifted slightly off its axis by prolonged nuclear testing and, as a result is hurtling toward the sun. The action is centered in a London newspaper office and the suspense is unrelenting! A great cast, too: Edward Judd, Janet Munro and Leo McKern. Highly recommended! I also like VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED and CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED. There was a third "Damned" film, in 1965, called THESE ARE THE DAMNED (original UK title was simply THE DAMNED) but it bore no relation to the other two. It was directed by Joseph Losey and starred MacDonald Carey, Oliver Reed and Shirley Ann Field. It starts out with American tourists being terrorized by a biker gang (led by Oliver Reed) but soon drifts off into "Outer Limits" territory. Quite an interesting film and it's coming to TCM in July!!
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Did anyone else enjoy the Planet of the Apes series? I remember my parents taking me to see it at a drive-in way back when. I absolutely loved it. I thought the ape suits were incredible at that time! As each sequel came out, even though they went downhill, my friends and I would go as a group to see each of them on opening week-end. The scene with the Statue of Liberty at the end of the original was pretty shocking. It inspired me to run out and read the book (which was wonderful).
Chris

SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

cinemalover wrote:Did anyone else enjoy the Planet of the Apes series? I remember my parents taking me to see it at a drive-in way back when. I absolutely loved it. I thought the ape suits were incredible at that time! As each sequel came out, even though they went downhill, my friends and I would go as a group to see each of them on opening week-end. The scene with the Statue of Liberty at the end of the original was pretty shocking. It inspired me to run out and read the book (which was wonderful).
I love the PotA movies, although it's difficult to watch the first one anymore since the Simpsons episode where Troy McClure stars in Planet of the Apes -- The Musical (I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-A to chimpan-Z, you'll never make a monkey out of me -- Oh God I was wrong, it was Earth all along, you finally made a monkey out of meeeee).

The first time I saw that I literally fell off the couch from laughing.
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

JohnM wrote:Village of the Damned is, by far, my favorite; and 2001 is, by far, my least favorite.
Both great movies IMHO. The 70s was a much better decade for sci-fi, until George Lucas came along.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

dfordoom wrote:
JohnM wrote:Village of the Damned is, by far, my favorite; and 2001 is, by far, my least favorite.
Both great movies IMHO. The 70s was a much better decade for sci-fi, until George Lucas came along.
I love Village, but 2001 is my least favorite of Kubrick's movies. I thought it was quite good when I saw it for the first time in the 1970's, but I was ... err... impaired at the time. Seeing it later I found it overlong and boring, like watching the infamous "tour of the Enterprise" scene from Star Trek: The Motion Picture stretched out to feature length.
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

jondaris wrote:I love Village, but 2001 is my least favorite of Kubrick's movies. I thought it was quite good when I saw it for the first time in the 1970's, but I was ... err... impaired at the time.
I saw it in an....impaired state back then as well. Being impaired does add to one's enjoyment of it.
nightwalker

Post by nightwalker »

I've seen 2001 in a widescreen theater, at home on TV and via cable and video and I have to say that IMO it's the most overrated sci-fi film ever.

I found it cold, sterile, pretentious and boring.

POTA movies were lots more fun.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

This is one of my favorite films of the 60's. A film that went along way towards making me a life-long sci-fi fan. I can still vividly remember my reaction to the final shot, almost 40 years later.

Date watched:6/19/2007
Title: Planet of the Apes Made: 1968
Genre: Sci-Fi Studio: 20th Century Fox
Format: DVD Extras: Non-anamorphic WS, Trailer, Photo gallery.
# of times viewed: 4

Stars:
Charlton Heston--George Taylor
Roddy McDowell--Cornelius
Kim Hunter--Zira
Maurice Evans--Dr. Zaius
James Whitmore--President of Assembly
James Daly--Dr. Honorious
Linda Harrison--Nova
Robert Gunner--Landan
Lou Wagner--Lucious
Woodrow Parfrey--Dr. Maximus
Wright King--Dr. Galen

Tagline: Somewhere in the universe, there must be something better than man!

Plot: Four Astronauts are launched in suspended animation to explore the future. When they land it is the year 3878 A.D. One of them has died in flight due to a cracked sleeping chamber, the other three disembark and begin to explore the planet.

Taylor (Heston) to his crew, "We've been away from Earth for two thousand years, give or take a decade."

The part of the planet they land on is barren desert, so it takes them awhile to find the planet's natives. Just as the three astronauts discover what appears to be a very primitive human culture they are attacked by ape hunters, many riding horses and using rifles. It is a very startling sequence, well handled and emphasized by a rousing Jerry Goldsmith score. I can still remember seeing this movie for the first time when my parents took me to see it at a drive-in in 1968. This first appearance of the apes is 32 minutes into the film, so we had just been getting comfortable with our human heroes when the entire movie is tossed into high gear. The timing and leisurely set up of the bizarre situation makes it all the more effective when it arrives.

One of the classic shots from the sequence is when an ape is taking a picture of three of his ape buddies with a stack of human bodies stacked at their feet (the hunters with their prey). Priceless.

During the round-up Taylor is shot in the throat and cannot speak. The primitive humans are all mute so if Taylor had been able to speak they would have immediately known he was different. The apes that are sympathetic to the treatment of humans are Zira (Hunter) and Cornelius (McDowell) and they nickname Taylor "Brighteyes" because he looks brighter than the rest of the group.

Dr. Zaius (Evans) shares the ape philosophy of humans, "Man has no understanding! He can be taught a few simple tricks, nothing more!'

"The sooner he (man) is exterminated the better. It's a matter of simian survival!"

When Taylor overhears that he is going to be "gelded" he frantically attempts an escape. His run through ape village to find a way out is very suspenseful. When he is recaptured the apes are stupefied to hear him speak for the first time.
Taylor, "Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape!"

Taylor is put on trial before the three judge ape tribunal. As soon as Zira starts to explain her theories about humans and their potential intelligence one judge covers his eyes, the next covers his ears and the third covers his mouth. No evil explanations will be recognized by this tribunal.

The existence of an intelligent human is a threat to the ape's societal image of their own superiority. Dr. Zaius is determined to destroy Taylor and any remnants of him.

Zira takes Taylor and his female companion Nova (Harrison) out of the cages to save him from being lobotomized. They attempt to get out of ape city without being caught.
Zira, "Taylor, remember, all men look alike to most apes. So put it on (ragged clothing), keep quiet, and we may just get away with this."

The conclusion is thought-provoking and shocking when you see it for the first time. The movie cleverly uses an ape society to comment on racism, stereotyping and religion. Using a fictional setting and society in a sci-fi film allows the filmmakers to comment on some of the short-comings of our society without raising political eyebrows.

The ape make-up was ground-breaking for the time and still looks good today. Heston is outstanding as a man facing the madness of an inexplicable situation. McDowell, Hunter and Evans bring real emotion to the ape parts they play. Without their acting prowess a film like this could have been laughed out of the theatres. Instead, it is a true classic film.

9* (out of 10) Simply outstanding! The film grips your attention from the opening shots and never lets go. This film lead to several sequels, most of them interesting, but none as good as this one.
Chris