Vampyr

phil noir

Vampyr

Post by phil noir »

I rented this film and watched it last night. Directed by Carl Dreyer, it came out in 1932 but was more or less shot as a silent with the actors mouthing what little dialogue there was in French, German or English (for three separate versions) and then Dreyer creating the soundtrack in post-production.

The story involves a young student of the occult who, roaming around France, comes across evidence of vampire activity in a small village. Hmm. I'm not sure what I thought of it. Although it was only 70 minutes or so long, I did get a bit restless. I liked its dreamlike quality (the actors ran in slightly speeded up 'silent style', black gauze had been put over the lens of the camera to produce a foggy effect, shadows operated independently of any human source, doors opened and keys turned by themselves), and I liked the way that the hero was only really peripherally involved with the events, peering into clouded windows and not really sure what was going on.

Perhaps it would be truer to say that I admired it. It had an unusual texture, an unusual quality of eerieness that was partly achieved, I think, by it being shot in real locations rather than in the studio - the lighting didn't strain after Gothic effects of shadow and dread the way a contemporary Universal horror might have done. Plus because the narrative was so halting and uncertain, there wasn't the comfort of the familiar pattern of mystery, chase, solution, clinch; and this made it more disturbing and unsettling, i.e.: "What is going on?"

But I'm still unsure. Does anyone else have any strong opinions about this film?
charliechaplinfan

Re: Vampyr

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I had the same reaction to you. I didn't feel I'd really understood what was going on , I watched it late at night, perhaps that was part of the problem for me, I found it dreamy in quality, haunting too but it was a puzzlement to me. It is the only one of Dreyer's films that I hasn't completely gripped me.

Based on Dreyer's other films I've put it in the category of must watch again just to see if get more from it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I have very strong opinions about this film--I love it! Part of the cloudy dreamlike effect you are seeing was the intentional overexposure of film, which Dryer discovered by accident while looking at rushes from a day's shooting, where improperly exposed film became atmosphere and inspiration.

Vampyr was loosely based on the old vampire story of Carmilla, but Dryer just used this as a starting point and created a totally different storyline which also uses surrealism and expressionism. I can maybe explain parts of the film to you, if you want to get into particulars. Did you have some topics, or scenes you wanted to discuss or elaborate on?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I love and admire VAMPYR -- and there are four or so Dreyer films that I prefer. His ability to create horror seemingly out of nothingness is astounding. That casket closing scene.... Some credit should also be given to Rudolph Mate for his cinematography and ability to bring Dreyer's vision to fruition.

It took a second viewing for me to get into the rhythm of VAMPYR, CCF, so give it another shot. It certainly isn't a standard horror flick and not Murnau's NOSFERATU, which is more akin to what I was expecting. It does look and feel differently than his immediately preceding film, THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC, and those that followed. A couple of reasons may be that he was being influenced by Surrealism in France at the time and consciously wanted to make a surrealistic movie. There may be disagreement about the realism of his other films, but they certainly were not surrealistic. The other reason may be that he focuses on Allan Gray, a man, rather than a woman. Coming to this film after seeing THE PASSION..., DAY OF WRATH, ORDET and GERTRUD (or even his earlier movies), it can seem odd watching a DREYER movie with a male front and center.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

One reason the films' protagonist is male, is the fact that leading man Julian West financed the film. Therefore, he starred in the picture and was given top billing! When you examine the film however, the roles that stay with you (with the exception of the doctor) are primarily female.
charliechaplinfan

I will give Vampyr another shot, I hold Passion, Day of Wrath and Ordet in so much awe that I owe it to Dreyer to try again.

I felt somewhat confused by Michael after seeing Master of the House, the later film I loved, the former I felt I should have loved but missed something.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

I decided I needed to give this film another go, I put it on and discovered part of the problem I had with this film was it's appalling quality. not the washed out look or slightly distorted sound track. Here are the reviews for my disc on Amazon, a resounding, don't bother and a disgrace.

I have watched it again and got more from it but it needs a good restoration quality to truly bring it out. Any recommendations?
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Criterion has just released a brand new transfer. It's region 1, but looks great.
charliechaplinfan

There is a region 2 released by the Masters of Cinema, I've had a few of these and they are always of excellent quality.

I was drawn in by the story but it was like watching it with my eyes half closed, the beauty was gone from the film because the transfer was so cheaply done.
charliechaplinfan

Phil, I got a better copy of this film to watch than the one I had, it makes a big difference. It's a unique feeling to it and I wasn't always sure what was going on, I'm not sure that we're meant to. I didn't know what to make of it but I'm glad I've taken the time to revisit it via a better copy. It still affirms my opinion that Dreyer was a fantastic director.
phil noir

Post by phil noir »

Glad you liked it more the second time around, Alison. I'm still waiting for Ordet to come from lovefilm. Did you get the version of Vampyr with the documentary shot while he was filming Gertrud? That was interesting to me - to get an overview of Dreyer's career, since I don't know much about him.
charliechaplinfan

I still need to see Gertrud, I didn't get the version with the documentary, he is a fascinating director. Ordet is very good, I would suggest Day of Wrath too if you haven't seen it.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

For those (in the U.S. of A.) who have not seen or recorded VAMPYR, TCM is showing it on October 25 at at 2:00am EST (that's the end of TCM's October 24 programming day). For some reason, TCM's on-line schedule has it as NOT AGAINST THE FLESH, an alternative title that was unfamiliar to me -- I thought at first that TCM was showing an unknown Dreyer movie.

It follows Murnau's NOSFERATU -- all in all, not a bad late night lineup.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles