The Legend of Hell House (1973)

moira finnie
Administrator

The Legend of Hell House (1973)

Post by moira finnie »

The Legend of Hell House (1973), in the same mold as Robert Wise's great adaptation of Shirley Jackson's story in the fine The Haunting (1960), was on TCM Underground last night. The film, featuring Clive Revill, Roddy McDowall, Pamela Franklin, and Gayle Hunnicutt, approaches Richard Matheson's story without indulging too much in blood or gore, though the fish eye lens use, the quick edits and the spinning camera techniques almost made me hunt for the dramamine a couple of times.

The clash of egos among the ghost hunters is center stage, with Reville (an actor who always looks to me like Spencer Tracy's long lost short son) as the scientist looking to apply some practical physics to the spooks, McDowall, is a "physical medium" and the veteran of an earlier, disastrous visit to the notorious Emeric Belasco house featured in the film, Franklin, a "psychic medium" who gets to strut her stuff the most of any of the actors, and the lovely Gayle Hunnicutt as Reville's wife who is along for the bumpy ride to provide moral support (and a nice bod for an entity in the house to possess).
The hair and eyeglass styles in the '70s were as scary as anything paranormal in the movies to me. McDowell's aviators and Gayle Hunnicutt's bicycle pumped hair can't match Clive Reville's intense look, though, can they?

I can't say that I was really scared, except when a black cat up to no good appears in Franklin's room, when Franklin is discovered after a booty call from a spook, and when Roddy McDowall, normally an excellent actor, (even in much schlockier movies than this), pulls out all the stops having a conniption or two. Of course, no one behaves very logically, except Mr. Arrogant Physicist (Reville)--much to his regret. Nor do they have the good sense to bunk together for safety, and as usual, they are often alone and isolated in the house, even though Roddy keeps telling the girls to take a hike--though he will be staying to collect some dough from a zillionaire (Roland Culver) funding this "research project." Much better than most ghost stories, but overall, not as genuinely memorable as the original version of The Haunting.
Check out that flying '70s collar on Pamela Franklin's shirt. Now, that's scary.

Did anyone else see this one?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MikeBSG

Re: The Legend of Hell House (1973)

Post by MikeBSG »

while I like horror movies, haunted house movies are a subgenre that usually leaves me cold. I suppose I think that Dracula/the Wolf man could follow somebody wherever they went, but that only a fool would stay in a haunted house.

I saw "the Legend of Hell House" when I was in high school and liked it. I also read the novel by Richard Matheson that it is based on. I watched the movie again on DVD and was not as impressed with it. It is good, and I like it better than "The haunting." However, I think they get rid of one character too soon in the movie.

To me, "The Uninvited" is the best haunted house movie ever. (I also love "The Old Dark House,' but that is a house full of maniacs and not a haunted house per se.)