Eureka and Warehouse 13

mrsl

Eureka and Warehouse 13

Post by mrsl »

Since this returned this week to the Sy-Fy channel, and although there are not a lot of sci-fi fans around here, I thought we might like to discuss it occasionally. The robot sheriff was a kick, and I loved the whole casts reaction to him. I'll be back later tonight to add a few comments, but if you're interested, please join in with me.

Anne
Last edited by mrsl on July 10th, 2010, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Re: Eureka

Post by mrsl »

I am surprised that not even one of the five of you who viewed had anything to say. I think the main reason I like this show is that it is just about the epitome' of science fiction. My definition of sci-fi is; 'an entertaining/interesting story based on one tiny iota of possible truth'. The original Star Trek had it, as did all of the following trek shows. Stargate-sg1 also had it with the terrific analogy of the ancient Egyptians actually being creatures from another planet. I don't know about you, but I would not have wanted to take any driving vacations across the desert when I was about 8 or 9 when all of those wonderful creatures were digging out of the sand after being transformed by those atomic blasts, like Them, and several others that wrecked Los Angeles, and Albequerque, New Mexico. As a kid I couldn't help thinking, to myself, "hmmm, could it be?", "is it possible?" Sure they were just movies, but they were enough to scare the bejesus out of me without seeing one drop of blood. But that was my generation, and now kids can watch this show with no worry that they will see anything they shouldn't. The whole thing is done in fun, and yet most definitely is an adult show. There is no way to follow, or understand the scientific explanations (not that I know of), but sometimes, they are as funny as the dilemna the leads get themselves into.

Now I can only hope that when it returns, Jericho will not be on at the same time, and day of the week, which would be my luck.

Anne
Anne

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Anne, I am so happy to have Eureka back.

I don't follow all the scientific stuff that flies by on this show, and I have no way of knowing how much of what they say is real, and how much is the "fiction" part, but I don't think it matters. It's wonderful to see a TV program that celebrates intelligence, and where most of the intelligent characters are real, attractive and interesting people, not just weirdos and nerds (although even in the town of Eureka there are some of those). This is, I think, one of the points of Eureka -- where everyone is really smart, the average Joes are the ones who stand out. And our dear Sheriff Carter is learning something about himself -- that he's not quite as average as he thought he was.

This program is a pleasure to watch. The ensemble cast gets better with each new episode, and their tongues are most firmly set in their cheeks.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

jdb1:

This past Friday was an 'electrifying' episode. I had no idea what was going on through most of it because I HAD to answer the phone and I missed the part where Carter and the lady got googled. I see on the Eureka section of the Sy-fy boards they think the signal might be Roger. I certainly hope not, because I never liked him at all. I caught the re-run later at 11:00 pm and saw what I missed earlier. That's one thing about the cable channels, they practically all repeat, if not later in the night, then usually some time later in the week. My poor DVR would go nuts on Monday and Friday if not for that.

Anne
Anne

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

This week's Eureka was a bit different. As usual poor Fargo was the comedy relief, but the thing that was built out on the edge of town reminded me of the Devil's Tower that Dreyfuss built in Close Encounters using anything he could find in and out of the house. The difference here was that most of it was all fitted together as if it was planned. I kind of like the way Sheriff Carter basically accepts it now when something crazy happens, even when his daughter is involved. For some reason, I don't like this new lady scientist friend. Hopefully she turns out to be nice, but until two or three episodes pass, I won't trust her.

Anne
Anne

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I can certainly agree about the new female character: she is pretty obnoxious. Actually brings to mind early Barbra Streisand. I hope she settles in -- and what happened to Frances Farmer? She lent a real edge to the proceedings. Maybe she'll come back later in the season (we hope).

I'm also leaning toward the idea that Roger will come back, once Allison has their baby. After all, he only disappeared into the mists; we don't know for certain that he's dead. Maybe they'll bring in Tori Spelling's husband, who looks just like the Roger actor, since I think that other actor is now on another show. By the way, what has become of Allison's spooky young son? He seems to have been written out.

I'm also glad they seem to be playing down Zoe Carter's resemblance to Lindsay Lohan. Ugh.

Is something going to be made of the fact that the young scientist introduced last week is named Sueňos (dreams)?

The plot line last week involving Fargo and his cavalier treatment of his talking (female) car was, I thought, a good one for the younger viewers, emphasizing as it did the epiphany Fargo had about his shoddy treatment of his "girl."

I'd have a very hard time picking a favorite between Colin Ferguson and Joe Morton. They are both so cute in different ways. We already know Joe Morton's credentials, but Ferguson is a real up and comer -- he is very good; a kind of Canadian Henry Fonda/Jimmy Stewart type.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

jdb1:

A few queries back to you. This new character looks like she will be having a 'go' at Carter, but I wonder if she is a replacement for Francis Farmer as the vinegar in the sweet salad. Seeing some of the quick clips from future episodes, I did see one or two with Carter and the redhead in a clinch.

Great minds again working - I meant to ask if you had heard about Allison's son and maybe I missed it. It's amazing how people just disappear in some of these shows with no explanation.

You may know who Joe Morton is, but I don't recognize him at all. Either Colin Ferguson has one of those faces that always looks familiar, or I caught sight of him in two of the things he was in, that are listed in his filmography, of which there is quite a list, but I never saw any of them but two.

I love all the characters and as soon as I think I favor one over the others, something happens to make me want to see more of one of the others. Sure wish we could get more folks into this.

Anne
Anne

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Anne, Joe Morton is a well-regarded, New York-born stage and screen actor, who got his start on Broadway in the early 1970s. He was in Hair, and he was also in the musical version of A Raisin in the Sun (which was called simply Raisin). He starred in John Sayles' lovely indie fantasy film The Brother from Outer Space, which I recommend to you. It is shown on cable from time to time. Morton's most noticeable screen time is probably from being in Terminator 2, where he played the scientist who nobly sacrifices himself to help the main characters. He is also the guest star in one of my favorite X Files episodes, one about living an event over and over. He has done a lot of TV, and now that you know him, you'll probably pick him out in many reruns. I believe that Morton's wife is Canadian, which is probably how he wound up on Eureka.

I don't know very much about Colin Ferguson, except that I remember reading that his background is in comedy, which seems apparent from his performance on Eureka. The only other thing I've ever seen him in is the TV movie Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber, with Jennifer Love Hewitt. This little comedy is a lot better than its title, and the two have a very nice chemistry in it.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Now I understand, naturally not knowing anything much about Broadway, he would not be recognizable from that, and the movie you mentioned, I've never heard of, and finally, I watched one episode of X-Files, took an instant total dislike to the woman star, and have never seen a second episode. Of course I know the premise of X-Files and have seen little clips from time to time, but that girl just turns me off like a water faucet. However, one of my favorite newer movies is a little romantic story called Return to Me, starring David Duchovny.

Anne
Anne

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well, now that Eureka is over for a few months, my Friday nights are going to be filled with Jennifer Love Hewitt and Patricia Arquette on CBS. Even Warehouse 13 is actually on on Tuesday night.

I was surprised however, how Eureka ended the season, it's the first time in years that I saw a show not end on some kind of a cliff hanger. I hope they're not playing any tricks on us and cancelling the show. The redhead is leaving, Allison is already gone supposedly taking care of her baby, but not on the final show (?), Zoe is on her way to college across the U.S., hhhmmmmmm. Hopefully they'll just introduce us to a whole new cast, in the Fall.
Anne

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Anne, I think the ending was a cliffhanger of sorts -- it's evident that the sheriff still hasn't decided whether he wants the goofy redhead, or the sultry brunette. In a bit of empty-nesting, he seriously considers leaving Eureka to accompany goofy to Australia, but at the closing moments of the episode, he gets a phone call from sultry. "I was just going to call you," he says. Was he going to tell her he's leaving? Maybe. Will she talk him out of it? I sincerely hope so. My money's on his strong feelings for sultry Allison.

I imagine Ever Carradine will be back with her adventurer boyfriend and their twins. Her New Age, crystal-wearing proclivities are a nice counterpoint to the high-tech activities in Eureka. And there will probably be more of Fargo's new relationship. Actually, I think they have reached something of a dead end with the current storylines, and need to branch out. Despite all the fancy special effects, the show is really very small-scale (I guess they spend all their budget on those effects), and needs to expand its borders a little. I'll be really disappointed if there isn't another season of this sci-fi/screwball comedy.

And, btw, I would also love to see Colin Ferguson in some of these throw-away comedy/romance movies crowding the scene these days. He is worlds better than most of the young actors in them. Not many can look so appealing and sexy and perplexed and capable, all at the same time.
mrsl

Re: Eureka and Warehouse 13

Post by mrsl »

Well, they're finally here. After all the worries about them being cut, and their time changing, and trying to find them on their new day and time - The season premieres finally appeared.

Warehouse 13 - Jeez, first they killed everyone off, then brought them back again. I'm so glad to see Claudia back, and I can't believe I accepted a female H.G. Wells. But in the world of Sci-fi, you can learn to accept anything right? But with a mind like Wells had, to write some of the greatest sci-fi stories ever, what kind of mayhem can we expect this season? I, for one, am looking very much forward to it. But I do hope they don't dwell on Wells alone, and they continue to bring new items every week.

Eureka - At first I was afraid we were going to spend the whole season back in 1947, which might not have been too bad, but not great either. Like the Dashell Hammett episodes of Star Trek: TNG were fun every now and then to see new scenery and James Darren singing with the band. This looks like fun though with a couple of changes of personality and marital status. Odd how Allisons son just suddenly re-appeared, like he had a long winter's nap or something. Oh, well, like I said, anything can happen in sci-fi.

What do you guys think?
Anne

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I haven't been able to get very deeply into Warehouse 13. I don't like the two young stars very much -- they just don't hold my attention. I'd like to see lots more of Saul Rubinek.

I did enjoy the new Eureka, which had its customary sharp script, and which now sets up some very interesting situations. That kiss between Carter and Allison was a long time coming and really sigh-inducing. I was disappointed at the reappearance of Carter's other love interest, the beyond perky and snarky redhead, who I believe is supposed to be a bit on the obnoxious side anyway. She makes those little "ain't I naughty and adorable" faces that make me want to slap her. Too bad her Witches of Eastwick series got cancelled last season and she was brought back to Eureka. I could do without her.

Now I'm wondering how they are going to develop this "changes in the past have affected the present" scenario. We have so much not very great Canadian programming on TV, especially on Sy-Fy -- it's nice to see a couple from the Great White North that get it right.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Hey Anne,

I finally got to see the season premiere of Warehouse 13 yesterday afternoon in between the Monument Valley films. I watched Fort Apache and before settling into an evening of Monument Valley westerns on TCM, took a break and instead of the sci-fi film they were showing, watched the Scyfy (or however they spell their silly logo now) show instead.

I was glad to see that everyone, especially Artie was okay and glad that everyone is back together. Sorry to see Roger Rees go out as the bad guy because I was enjoying him in the role.

Wrapping my brain around a female HG Welles took some doing and like you, I hope that not every episode is devoted to her. She obviously has some important and powerful artifacts in her possession but I don't want to see her every week.

I've never gotten into Eureka probably because I have been watching that other Canadian show, Flashpoint (I love Hugh Dillion and Enrico) on Friday nights in the summer.

I'm having fun with all the enjoyable summer series that are on the air right now (and they are all, with the exception of Flashpoint on USA, TNT and Scfy and looking forward to the return of my beloved Mad Men in a few weeks!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

I know you have hundreds of other things to do, but sometime soon, check out your FREE ON DEMAND for Network TV and syfy (that is so stupid isn't it?) I believe they run two shows back each week of Eureka. Trust me, as a writing connoisseur, like you often are, you will love this program with it's wit and quick lines.
Anne