Curtis Harrington RIP

MikeBSG

Curtis Harrington RIP

Post by MikeBSG »

The director Curtis Harrington died earlier in May.

His heyday was the early Seventies, and he is most famous for "What's The matter With Helen?" which starred Debbie Reynolds and Shelley Winters. Reynolds is terrific here, but I think the film is more neo-noir than horror. "Who Slew Auntie Roo?" came out around the same time. This is a movie far more clever than its title. It updates Hansel and Gretel and stars Winters again. I think it is Harrington's best film.

He did a number of films for TV. Perhaps the best of these was "The Cat Creature," which had a screenplay by Robert Bloch and recaptured some Val lewton atmosphere.

Harrington is also supposedly the person who saved "The Old Dark House" from becoming a lost film.
benwhowell

Post by benwhowell »

Curtis Harrington is another one of my favorite filmmakers. He began making films as a teenager and later attended UCLA.
I would love to see his first (short) film from 1946, "Fragment Of Seeking-"about a young man exploring his sexuality.
I've never been unsatisfied with his psychological thrillers and his brilliant use of color.
All of his films (theatrical and TV) have amazing casts-giving their best performances...
"Games" with Simone Signoret, James Caan and Katharine Ross
"What's The Matter With Helen?" with Shelley Winters, Debbie Reynolds and Agnes Moorehead
Mike already praised "Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?" with Shelley Winters and a great British cast
His TV work was great too...
"Killer Bees" with Gloria Swanson!
"The Dead Don't Die" with Ray Milland and Joan Blondell
"How Awful About Allan" with Anthony Perkins, Julie Harris and Joan Hackett
And episodes of "Wonder Woman," "Baretta," "Charlie's Angels" and "Dynasty."
He can also be seen in "Gods And Monsters-" as a guest at George Cukor's party.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

He was also responsible for the wonderful black & white low-budget mermaid fantasy NIGHT TIDE from 1961 which starred Dennis Hopper. I think it might have been Harrington's first film as a director. He will be missed.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Re: Curtis Harrington RIP

Post by SSO Admins »

MikeBSG wrote:Harrington is also supposedly the person who saved "The Old Dark House" from becoming a lost film.
For that alone he deserves credit.