Realistic Aliens, an Oxymoron?

cinemalover

Realistic Aliens, an Oxymoron?

Post by cinemalover »

I just watched E.T. with my kids last night, a film that I hadn't revisited in probably close to 20 years. The job they did with the design and mannerisms of E.T. was more intelligent than the average portrayal of alien lifeforms. But, what I would like to know is, in your opinion what alien representation on the screen, big or small, comes closest to what you imagine alien life would be?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

>>in your opinion what alien representation on the screen, big or small, comes closest to what you imagine alien life would be?

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS..."we have met the aliens and they are us!"
nightwalker

Post by nightwalker »

I think that inhabitants of other worlds (if there were any) would look something like us, and so, for that reason, Michael Rennie as Klaatu in THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL gets my vote.

A close second: Jeff Morrow as Exeter in THIS ISLAND EARTH.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

nightwalker wrote:I think that inhabitants of other worlds (if there were any) would look something like us, and so, for that reason, Michael Rennie as Klaatu in THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL gets my vote.

A close second: Jeff Morrow as Exeter in THIS ISLAND EARTH.
I cast a resounding AYE vote for Jeff Morrow. He's the best thing in that movie, like an extraterrestrial Abe Lincoln.

Michael Rennie is also a very comforting presence as an offworlder. We could use more like him.

Also Tom Tryon as the compassionate "monster from outer space" who marries the nice suburban girl.

On TV, I'm very partial to the Bajorans of Star Trek: DS9. They're so spiritual. A far cry from the most of the "blast 'em away" cinema aliens I grew up seeing.

My all-time favorite would have to be Jonathan Winters as Mirth From Earth, Mork and Mindy's son. I like the idea of a free-riffing alien among us, and I've often thought Winters might be a little more than he seems to we Earthers. Hmmm. . . . . I wonder.