The Event

mrsl

The Event

Post by mrsl »

When this one started last year, there were so many others similar to it that I couldn't keep track. I was immediately grabbed by Haven and Warehouse 13, and started to get into Fringe, but that died quickly for some reason -- it was a little too far out for me. So this year when The Event started again, I DVR'd it from the 2 hour season opener until last week which made 4 episodes on the disc. Today I sat and watched all 5 hours, including tonights episode. It's a lot easier to follow this year because it's more people oriented than last year. We still don't know exactly what goes with this other life form other than they were supposedly here on Earth before we were, but now their planet is dying and they are on their way here to take back 'their' planet. This started at the same time as "V" and I quickly found "V" was just a revamp of the old one from about 20 years ago.

The Event was the first load of people coming here but crash landed and as usual, were taken prisoners by our govenment and held. It's now 66 years later and the people have barely aged at all, but although at one time they were all loyal to one lady, now her son is trying to take over from her and its turning into a war of strength between them as well as against the U.S. Government.

I find I like watching 4 or 5 episodes at one time and fast forwarding commercials, so I'm going to again DVR the next few weeks. Much as I hate to admit my failings, I have to say I'be been known to read the last page of a mystery novel, so if future events are mentioned, it won't ruin the show for me, and I would like to know if anyone else is following this particular show.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Re: The Event

Post by mrsl »

It seems as if nobody else is watching this show except me, but anyway, I'm here to say that's too bad. During the initial 5 episodes, it got much better but I held myself in check and continued running a weekly DVR until today when I caught up again. The second half of the season has been much more exciting than the first and once I got all the people straight in my mind, it's kept me quite interested. Blair Underwood as the U.S. President was nearly killed and during his illness and recovery, naturally the bad guys took over, and we are now at the hump. I find that next week is the season finale so I'm looking forward to that. Too late for me to give any rundown, but those who belong to Netflix, and are Sci-Fi fans, might consider renting this season for some long evening, if it is offered yet. I think you'll like it, and watch next year if it's renewed.
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I watched the series last fall and it just got so convoluted before the winter finale and the dialog in the script (and the lead actress) so bad that I gave up on it and started watching The Chicago Code on Fox which also aired at 9:00 on Mondays. I really liked it especially Jason Clarke, Jennifer Beals and Delroy Lindo.

Unfortunately, Fox included Chicago Code last Tuesday night as part of their pre-Fall announcement massacre. Which is too bad because last night's eppy was great and the now final episode looks really kick butt, too.

The Season/Series finales have all been hit and miss for me this year with Justified at the top of the pyramid and CSI:NY and CSI (original recipe), Hawaii-Five 0 in the middle and Blue Bloods near the bottom. I am not thrilled at how they wrapped up the Templar story and worry it bodes badly for next fall.

Of course, NCIS, The Good Wife and Bones all wrap up with season finales this week as does The Mentalist so my list may change.

Good news, Leverage and Memphis Beat both return next month with Warehouse 13, Rizzoli and Isles and The Closer return in July!

Oh, as do True Blood and Breaking Bad and USA network's Burn Notice and White Collar and, I think, Royal Pains.

Who needs the networks in the summer when you have TNT, USA and other non-network channels!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

I'm with you on the Blue Bloods/Templar ending, kind of as an afterthought. But as I said with The Event, if I'm thinking of the correct woman, she was killed off about three weeks ago. Did you mean the lady with the long dark hair? Or do you mean Laura Innes from ER? I also wonder about the little China doll being mixed up in Steve's trouble - for some reason somebody seems to want her gone, and I was really shocked when the Governor was killed, mainly because I like Jean Smart and wish she could find a nice little niche for herself on some good show, but 5-0 holds me every week.

I'll be settled in tonight to watch The Mentalist, but Robin Tunney has never grabbed me. She's cute but doesn't seem tough enough to be the captain of the squad. Have you heard anything about In Plain Sight? That's my favorite out of all of them. I'm also with you on the non-network shows, some are much better than ABC, NBC, and CBS.
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I was actually appalled at the acting ability of the young blonde actress playing the female love interest (Jason Ritter's girl friend). I wish show runners wouldn't hire actors who can't carry the acting part of the job. While they are often easy to look at it, if they can't act, you rarely connect with their characters and it is only down-hill from there.

And I totally agree with you about Blue Bloods. I thought the Templar story line was going to be a series arc taking several seasons to be resolved. It would have been great if Len Cariou, Tom and Danny had all been involved in the Templars and had some dark secrets that they didn't want coming out, especially to their family.

But, I suspect, Tom Selleck may have balked at being less than a straight arrow Police Commissioner.

FYI, they are running some funny ads for Rizzoli and Isles on TNT.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

What you said about the blond girl and her 'amount' or 'lack' of ability to act is my complaint about nearly 90% of the acting crowd out there right now. Just because he or she made a No. 1 selling record, it does not necessarily follow that he or she can act. The same applies to an actor and whether or not he or she can sing and dance enough to carry a show, especially on Broadway. Accordingly we have these one time wonders who make a hit record then disappear, never to be heard from again. Along the same lines are those who make a C & W record because the market is smaller to get a name for themselves, then immediately switch over to rock. They are really the ones who tick me off because they do half C&W and half rock which is ruining the 'purity' of C&W. That sounds funny, but C&W has a true sound unlike any rock, but again, life goes on and things change; which I must accept. I truly watched the Oscar awards this year simply to see how many people I recognized - turned out to be very few. I don't even try to keep up with all the changes. Like referring to Fergie and Klondike telling me I could be talking about a singing group called the Black Eyed Peas. Even if I were 15 I wouldn't know them because I've always been country, though living in the city. It's like asking someone about JFK and they say he drowned in a plane crash -- ahhh generations!!!.
Anne