What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Joe Macclesfield

Re: What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Post by Joe Macclesfield »

RedRiver wrote:Actually though, it isn't bad

It certainly isn't! Production values aren't much. It's not exactly intellectual. But it's fun, exciting, silly in a good way. I like it. I've rarely seen Lon in something I didn't enjoy. Don't even get me going on THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE. That's terrifying!
I've not seen The Alligator People Red. I'll have my own PC in a few days (a first for me!), and I'll catch it then. Someone posted a documentary on Lon, on Youtube, which I shall also enjoy seeing. The opening portion includes a clip from the movie, where Lon belts a girl, after he's told her he just wants her to be nice to him!
"...Then as a bee, which among weeds doth fall,
Which seem sweet floures with lustre fresh and gay,
She lights on that, and this, and tasteth all,
But pleasd with none doth rise and sore away..."
Joe Macclesfield

Post by Joe Macclesfield »

It's many years since I read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I liked the fact that it is actually set in the 18th Century (I have a fondness for the 18th and 17th Centuries). However, it's least convincing conceit (apart from the main premise) is the eloquence attained by the monster while hiding-out. This, for example: "...my food is not that of man, I do not destroy the lamb and the kid to glut my appetite; acorns and berries afford my sufficient nourishment." Tinned tomatoes on toast is a pleasure he missed!
"...Then as a bee, which among weeds doth fall,
Which seem sweet floures with lustre fresh and gay,
She lights on that, and this, and tasteth all,
But pleasd with none doth rise and sore away..."
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

While as a bonafide Monsterkid I'm naturally indebted to Mary Shelley's tale, I always had problems with the book. Chiefly, how the creature learns to speak (as you say, Joe) so eloquently merely by overhearing a peasant teaching an Arabian nobelwoman the English language, coming to converse (or debate) on a level equal to his brilliant creator - and often with an existential credo.

Personally I prefer: "Friend good. Fire no good."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The Tarzan books offer an impressive feat of language as well. The man is raised by monkeys, meets one Frenchman, and VOILA! Professor Greystoke, I presume?
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Right. Good call, R.R. A far cry from Weismuller's "Me Tarzan. You Jane" interpretation - which I also prefer to its literary inspiration.

I also like how Frankenstein's creature is able to both read and absorb Paradise Lost. Heck, with his rapid intelligence maybe he should have been the creator and Frankenstein his experimental subject.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

And he didn't even have CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

You know what? I can't remember if I've seen William Castle's MACABRE! It just came up on another site. I said I'd seen it. Now I'm not so sure. The notion of Jim Backus as main character sounds familiar. (It's not something you'd easily forget!) But I sure don't remember much, if anything.

If I haven't seen it, it is now at the top of my list. You can't go wrong with Big Bill Castle!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I saw a slew of SCI-FI movies today on TCM ...

Cosmic Monsters, The (1958)
Giant Behemoth, The (1959)
X The Unknown (1956)
Satellite in the Sky (1956)

All pretty good, but I like X The Unknown the best ... followed by The Cosmic Monsters, The Giant Behemoth, and then Satellite in the Sky was okay but bit corny in a way - that's the first time I've seen it.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I have seen 5 Godzilla Movies featuring Mechagodzilla and I ranked each of the 5 movies that I saw over the past two week on my TV.

Rankings of Movies

1. 1974 Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
2. 2002 Godzilla against Mechagodzilla
3. 1975 Terror of Mechagodzilla
4. 1993 Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II
5. 2003 Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S.