Star Trek as a future designer

mrsl

Star Trek as a future designer

Post by mrsl »

Naturally all 6 of the original cast Star Trek movies are favorites of mine, but the best is the one with the whales, except until that came out, it was the Revenge of Khan[/i]. Ricardo Montalban was fabulous, and the ending with Spock makes me cry even after 30-some years. Anyway, I watched it last night for the first time in probably 10 years or so and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Several years ago I saw a show on Sci-Fi that explained how many of the things used in the Star Trek TV show, and movies were actually being inspected and attempts were being made to dupicate the usage. As often as I've seen the movie, last night it struck me how in 1982 the cadet handed Admiral Kirk a thing which he clicked with his finger, changing the screen, then approving it with his signature. If I didn't know the year of the movie, I would have sworn he was handed a Kindle.

If you have a little ball (can't think of the name of it), on top of your computer, you can see the person you're talking to, just like they do, as long as the other person has a ball too. Then there's the thing we sign when UPS delivers something to our home for verification it was received. I, for one, no longer carry a purse, I just stick my drivers license and my ATM card in my pockets and off I go. I never have cash money on me any longer. Everything I do is on my ATM card. I know some banks are threatening to start charging, but my bank made it through the bank catastophe with never adding any extra charges or anything, so I doubt if they will do something so stupid, knowing most people will just change banks, or start using those dispensible ones.

Are there any other things you can think of that you saw on old Sci-Fi shows that we now use without thinking unusual at all in our daily lives?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************