GRIMM

mrsl

GRIMM

Post by mrsl »

I'm wondering if anyone else has been captured by this TV show like I have. Because of the structure of the show, although it is a different story each week, some thing carries over from one week to the next, so for that reason, I DVR each week and watch it about ever third week, as I did this morning. First off, I love Monroe and the comments he makes, whether when he's in trouble, or when he learns another fairy tale character is lurking around. I'm not saying its well acted, well written, or has top camera and lighting work. I AM saying it is a fun hour at the end of each week on Friday night. Many scenes are kind of ghoulish and not for children (at least to my old fashioned way of thinking), and you're not going to do a lot of laughing, except at Monroe, but when it's over you're left with a kind of eased and contented mind. I'm probably using the wrong words, but it's a feel good show because good always overcomes evil I guess.

I also watch Once Upon a Time, but I'm three weeks behind in that so it's for another time.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: GRIMM

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I really like the show and the growing friendship between the young Grimm hero, Nick, and Munroe, who happens to be a reformed werewolf but who holds much of the knowledge that Nick needs to be able to combat the supernatural creatures that pass themselves off as human.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

Thanks for the explanation of Munroe. You did it so succinctly in a few words where it would have taken me at least a paragraph, if not more.
Anne

mrsl

Re: GRIMM and Once Upon a Time

Post by mrsl »

I'm now completely caught up with GRIMM and still like it. I still don't feel it's for children but I have to give credit to the writers of this show and also for the writers of Once Upon a Time. The way they interweave old fairy tales with modern day themes is amazing. It took me a while to distinguish the bad Queen/Rich lady from the girl who plays Snow White/Mary Margaret. One second you're watching Prince Charming riding across a field and the next, he's driving through town in a convertible. That's rare but that is how it is written. It's a lot of fun trying to figure out what's happening each week, although the main characters stay in place with every episode, thus far. The writers have written in King Midas with his golden touch, Red Riding Hood and a few others that might give you a reason to think a little. If you have a TV system with In Demand, you should check it out just for the fun of it.

As for Grimm, the main character Nick, is really getting himself into some messes. He is a cop and his partner can't figure out what the heck is going on and why he knows, ahead of time that some things are going to happen. Monroe has now met Nick's girlfriend, and his partner so I think we're going to get some confessions soon. Trust me, I'm not giving away any secrets, just little things that will help you understand what is going on. Again, I urge you to "try it, you'll like it".
Anne

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well folks, here I am again talking about Grimm. I have liked this show since it began, but last season I tried something that worked out just fine for me. I DVD the show each week, and wait until I have a collection of at least 5 or 6 saved before watching them. Then I put on my own little marathon, usually on a weekend day (Saturday or Sunday). Not only do I not have to contend with commercials, but neither do I have to wait for the result of an ending nail biter. I've done this with a couple of other shows and find I enjoy the stories more with no weeks time lag interruption.

What ever happens with me, I still urge you to try to rent the first couple of seasons to do some catch up work on it. This past season the writers branched out a little and allowed Nick (the hero), to explain his unusual talent to his police partner which certainly helps him in situations where otherwise he would look completely foolish in trying to cover up what he saw. (Being a Grimm, he can see the monsters when they turn into their true selves. Other non-Grimm folk cannot see this unless the monster wants him/her to see). By now, the 3rd season ending, Nick has a nice sized little group all backing him up and this should open the door to even more interesting calamities for him.

Girls, this may not be your idea of a good way to spend Tuesday night, but guys, for once, trust me when I say this show will give you some hearty laughs as well as more than you will get from something like How to live with your parents for the rest of your Life.
Anne