This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Western Guy

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by Western Guy »

Erik, hope you give THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US a watch and share your thoughts. Interesting film. As a young'un it rather disappointed me but today it's by far my favorite of the series since it has a somewhat different subplot. Overall, I think most Gillman fans consider it the lesser of the trio - yet I find it compelling since it varies from the typical 50s format.

Plus: JEFF MORROW!! And Leigh Snowden ain't half bad, either.

Anyhoo, let us know what you think.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Western Guy, I went to a BBQ yesterday and when I got there - I forgot to record that movie on my DVR and failed to do so. Sorry.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

So, SHADOW OF THE CAT is on next week. Is this one I haven't seen? Or have I merely forgotten it? What is it like?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Red, it has been on Svengoolie before. It has a good, Hammer-type cast but is basically the story of a cat inheriting dough--which is not exactly a thrill a minute--but maybe Sug would find the cat stimulating? You can see the movie here if impatient for Saturday night:

[vimeo][/vimeo]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Sugar might want a raise in her allowance!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Had a busy weekend. Didn't see much of SHADOW OF THE CAT. What I saw looked interesting. Quirky, to say the least! I wouldn't mind watching the whole thing someday.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oooh, director Robert Siodmak's Son of Dracula (1943) aka "Vamping Around the Bayou" arrives on Svengoolie tonight on Me-TV. We had quite a lot to say about this occasionally chilling one last year:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... a+#p152189

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This is one of the good ones!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

THE RAVEN

[youtube][/youtube]

I'm not missing this!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I really enjoyed THE KISS OF THE VAMPIRE! It's colorful, creepy, literate. Not sure I'd seen it before. This is top notch Hammer horror.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Erik, if you've never before seen THE RAVEN I recommend it highly. It's fast-moving, over-the-top, high camp fun with one of Bela's most enjoyable performances. Within the short running time Bela transforms from romantic if slightly obsessed surgeon into a full-blown psycho sadist. And it also showcases him in a role where for once he completely overshadows Karloff (despite the billing). An interesting side note: While Lugosi enjoys almost double the screen time than his co-player his salary was exactly half of what Karloff earned for the film.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Western Guy wrote:Erik, if you've never before seen THE RAVEN I recommend it highly. It's fast-moving, over-the-top, high camp fun with one of Bela's most enjoyable performances. Within the short running time Bela transforms from romantic if slightly obsessed surgeon into a full-blown psycho sadist. And it also showcases him in a role where for once he completely overshadows Karloff (despite the billing). An interesting side note: While Lugosi enjoys almost double the screen time than his co-player his salary was exactly half of what Karloff earned for the film.

Thanks for the quick review - I heard about this film but never got around seeing it. This will be my 1st time Stone! :)
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE

[youtube][/youtube]

This movie is coming up on SVENGOOLIE this Saturday
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Missed THE THING THAT COULDN'T DIE last night. Have I seen it before? With movies such as this, it's hard to tell! Hell, I may even own a copy! But I don't think so. This one doesn't sound familiar. I'm willing to bet Svengoolie suggested he should have quit while he was a head!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Well, yes, I see your point. But professionally he might just have wanted to get a head in the game . . .