This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Swithin

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by Swithin »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: December 10th, 2023, 9:59 am I saw part of The Raven last night, I caught some of Sven's trivia. He did mention there was some tension between Peter Lorre and Jack Nicholson. I read an interview with Nicholson where he said "Roger (Corman) gave me one direction, be as funny as Lorre, Karloff and Price. I loved those guys."

I don't know if much was mentioned about Hazel Court, who played Price's devious wife. I met her many years ago at a horror movie convention and got her autograph. I had heard that Peter Lorre constantly pinched her behind and I asked her if it was true. She laughed and said "Yessss! He was such a little devil!"

the film is one of my favorites of the 3 horror legends. Did anyone see it last night? Any other good trivia? What do you think of the film?
I saw The Raven when it came out. I was visiting my cousins in White Plains, NY, and we went to the RKO Keith's (or was it the Loew's?) on a Saturday afternoon. The three stars (Karloff, Lorre, Price) made a personal appearance. Later that evening, at dinner, my aunt said "I was walking down Main Street today, and I saw Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre, and Vincent Price walking down the street!"

I watched a bit of the film last night, what I saw was fun, but perhaps a little too slapsticky.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Swithin wrote: December 10th, 2023, 10:23 am

I saw The Raven when it came out. I was visiting my cousins in White Plains, NY, and we went to the RKO Keith's (or was it the Loew's?) on a Saturday afternoon. The three stars (Karloff, Lorre, Price) made a personal appearance. Later that evening, at dinner, my aunt said "I was walking down Main Street today, and I saw Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre, and Vincent Price walking down the street!"

I watched a bit of the film last night, what I saw was fun, but perhaps a little too slapsticky.
Wow, I would have given anything to see that, it would be like all four Beatles strolling down Main Street.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I watched the movie for awhile, I just loved Vincent Price's costumes.
But overall the movie was just too goofy for my taste, seemed like it was geared to kids a la Abbott & Costello Universals.

The over-the-top comedy made it feel a little sad/disrespectful to the real talent involved.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Another creepy thing I remember about THE NIGHT WALKER which airs tonight -- pay attention to the opening music. It sounds an awful lot like a harpsicord version of "Food Glorious Food from the four-years-later 1968 OLIVER!
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Ugh I had another narcoleptic evening where I woke up half hour into the movie.
I was surprised to see Stanwyck (had no idea what movie was broadcast) and thought she looked GORGEOUS (she was 56 when she made the film)
Without any real build up (coming in late/commercials) quickly found the movie boring, Stanwyck had one speed: hysterical.

Hopefully my work schedule will fit (evening TV viewing) better in the future & I can see it in a re-run.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 16th, 2023, 4:26 pm Another creepy thing I remember about THE NIGHT WALKER which airs tonight -- pay attention to the opening music. It sounds an awful lot like a harpsicord version of "Food Glorious Food from the four-years-later 1968 OLIVER!
By Vic Mizzy, whose 60s-era orchestrations have a very characteristic sound. He also did the music for the Don Knotts Universal pictures of the 60s, and TV series like Green Acres and The Addams Family
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Yes, the score has a Green Acres feel to it! LOL (a demented Green Acres) I watched the early part of the film, but there was something else on later so I switched. I'd seen the film several times before. I agree Stanwyck looked great. It's too bad that this turned out to be her final film. It's a bit better than the usual Castle schlock and she doesn't descend to the likes of Charlotte or Baby Jane in appearance, but it's still William Castle. The film's casting is interesting. Wonder whose decision it was to cast Taylor. And interesting that Babs agreed to it a decade or so after they divorced.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:)
was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks for that article....I love Gwengoolie & Nostalgiaferatoo and when Koz is ready to retire hope they can "take over"...but then what would the show be called?

All those demo tapes the public sent in were fun to see but just illustrates the chasm between amateurs & professional actors. I'm so glad they hired talented pros and hope Gwengoolie doesn't resort to imitating Elvira.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: December 18th, 2023, 10:44 am Yes, the score has a Green Acres feel to it! LOL (a demented Green Acres) I watched the early part of the film, but there was something else on later so I switched. I'd seen the film several times before. I agree Stanwyck looked great. It's too bad that this turned out to be her final film. It's a bit better than the usual Castle schlock and she doesn't descend to the likes of Charlotte or Baby Jane in appearance, but it's still William Castle. The film's casting is interesting. Wonder whose decision it was to cast Taylor. And interesting that Babs agreed to it a decade or so after they divorced.

Bob was the love of Missy's life. I think the reason they broke up was because of Stanwyck's workaholic ways; whenever Taylor wanted to take vacations and have a more laid-back lifestyle, Barbara enjoyed grinding out another movie. But I think they had an amicable divorce and always remained friends. It's fascinating to watch their interactions in THE NIGHT WALKER. There's a particular scene where Robert is guiding her along a hallway. He places an affectionate and protective hand around her back. It didn't seem rehearsed. Babs in turn looked into his eyes with shy smiles almost like a schoolgirl.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Yes, I had read she attended his funeral and cried though the entire service.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

I personnaly do not believe they were very friendly towards each other.Bob Taylor asked her several times to let go the 15% share of his income he had to shell out as long as she was single,it happened several times in the 60's as his earning power was diminishing and she always refused despite being very rich herself.Apparently they did not know they were playing in The Night Walker before signing the deal,another stunt by William Castle.Barbara was mad at Taylor for having strayed with others while married to her,it started early in the marriage,Taylor was dominated by his mother hence Stanwyck took over.Taylor was a confused man and found his path with Ursula Thiess in the early 50's while filming Quo Vadis in Rome.I'am waiting for many years for the part two of Stanwyck's bio ,pretty sure nothing really scandalous will emerge, she is my favorite Hollywood actress.Helen Ferguson was more important than Taylor for Barbara there is even one film with that name in the early 50's...she shared her life for something like 30 years.As far as i see it it was an arranged contract and Taylor broke it and she was resentful for the situation.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

nakanosunplaza wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 1:25 am I personnaly do not believe they were very friendly towards each other.Bob Taylor asked her several times to let go the 15% share of his income he had to shell out as long as she was single,it happened several times in the 60's as his earning power was diminishing and she always refused despite being very rich herself.Apparently they did not know they were playing in The Night Walker before signing the deal,another stunt by William Castle.Barbara was mad at Taylor for having strayed with others while married to her,it started early in the marriage,Taylor was dominated by his mother hence Stanwyck took over.Taylor was a confused man and found his path with Ursula Thiess in the early 50's while filming Quo Vadis in Rome.I'am waiting for many years for the part two of Stanwyck's bio ,pretty sure nothing really scandalous will emerge, she is my favorite Hollywood actress.Helen Ferguson was more important than Taylor for Barbara there is even one film with that name in the early 50's...she shared her life for something like 30 years.As far as i see it it was an arranged contract and Taylor broke it and she was resentful for the situation.
Who was Helen Ferguson? Yeah, what happened to that Part Two of Stanwyck's biography??? The first part must've came out a decade ago to very mixed reviews. I enjoyed it but it was way too detailed and too long. I wound up skimming through parts that didnt involve Barbara. That's interesting about the casting of Night Walker. I had not heard that. It must have been awkward for both of them working together.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 21st, 2023, 4:36 pm He places an affectionate and protective hand around her back. Babs in turn looked into his eyes with shy smiles almost like a schoolgirl.
nakanosunplaza wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 1:25 am I personally do not believe they were very friendly towards each other.
Wow I love those contrasting accounts!

I actually believe ALL that is true (or could be) because over the span of time, feelings can change between two people who love each other. Life is complicated and actors are just normal people who have weird jobs.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I had not realized how young Robert Taylor was when he died (only 58). He looked much older.