This week on SVENGOOLIE...

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by moira finnie »

Dark Passage would win against Phantom anytime with me. I know what you mean about finding it heartening when a regular tv channel deigns to show a real movie. I'd watch this movie just to catch that last scene, which my sentimental self likes to think is how Bogie is waiting for Baby somewhere. Here's my take on it a few years ago:
An absurd plot (from the talented pen of David Goodis) and the subjective camera is interesting, if odd, but somehow it works for me. Could be those San Francisco settings and nice moments such as Bogie's overhearing two lonely people striking up a friendship at a bus station, Tom d'Andrea's garrulous cabbie, and Agnes Moorehead's flamboyant character. Look for Delmer Daves' picture in the newspaper clipping showing Bacall's father and that final, idealized (non-Goodis) ending with Bogart waiting for her by the sea while the band plays "Too Marvelous for Words"
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Something about this movie puts it across, gaps in credibility and all. Ms. Moorehead's high strung intensity helps a lot.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The rest of the September schedule just in from Svengoolie! Maybe these are repeats, but they are enjoyable, while quite different.

Sept. 15
The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
[youtube][/youtube]

Sept. 22
The Mole People (1956)
[youtube][/youtube]

Sept. 29
Dr. Cyclops (1940)
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

There's life in this Saturday night program yet. Yes, we've all seen "Mrs. Frank" many times. But there's not a better horror film anywhere. It could be argued that it's even better than its format establishing predecessor. THE MOLE PEOPLE, with Ward Cleaver encountering Eddie Haskell's ancestors, was definitely on a few months ago. DR. CYCLOPS? I'm not sure I've even seen this one. There are several movies of similar theme. This might be my first visit to this doctor's office!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I feel a little bit responsible for monitoring this thread. But I didn't watch "Phantom" Saturday. And due to the holiday, the library was closed for two days. I couldn't get online! Did anybody join Svengoolie for an evening at the opera?
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Tonight...Drew Barrymore's grandfather in THE INVISIBLE WOMAN!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Well...THE INVISIBLE WOMAN is not classic comedy. But it's not flat-out bad. Virginia Bruce is adorable. The wonderful Charles Ruggles has some witty lines. I even like the mustachioed leading man. John something, I believe. He has a carefree charm that suits his spoiled but likeable character. Barrymore? Yeah. He's fine, if sleepwalking. Presumably, this is far removed from the John Barrymore who re-invented Shakespearen stage acting. That man may have been the finest actor of his generation, but sound film was not his vehicle.

It's interesting that an invisible lady still casts a shadow on the wall beside her! Today's filmmakers would spend a million dollars on a technique to compensate for that.

Next week's entry is better. BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN is one of the two greatest horror films of all time. If we could combine the two into one classic, we'd have a cinematic wonder of indescribable brilliance!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

It has always interested me that the Invisible Man movies aren't really horror movies. The 1933 one is, of course, although I have the impression that Universal marketed it more as a special effects movie (comparable to "King Kong") than as a horror film since horror films were (briefly) in bad odor at Unviersal after 1932.

"The Invisible Man Returns" (1940) with Vincent Price has the invisible man as a scientist framed for a murder who turns invisible to catch the real murderer.

"The Invisible Woman" is comedy. "The Invisible Agent" is patriotic gore, with the Invisible Man causing mayhem in Berlin (much to the displeasure of the Office of War Information, which thought this kind of movie was making WWII silly.)

I think there is one more film "Invisible Man's Revenge" from 1944 or so that sounds like it has an evil Invisible Man. Has anyone seen it?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was pleasantly surprised by The Invisible Woman, it's a very cute movie and plays well. I thought Barrymore charming in it. If you can put it out of your head that he was not what he once was, it's a fun picture. The only flaw in it is that the gorgeous woman is invisible half the time!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

RR, on October 24, TCM and Fathom productions are hosting Frank and his Bride as a double feature at selected theaters. Sounds like a great kickoff for Halloween!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can't wait to see them on the big screen!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm pretty sure I've seen INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE, but I don't remember a thing about it. INVISIBLE AGENT is downright terrible!

The only flaw in it is that the gorgeous woman is invisible half the time!

But she's naked. It's good!

Frank and his Bride as a double feature at selected theaters

Lord, I'd love to catch that! Theaters should do that more often.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love how they titillate the viewer with her undressed-ness, without ever showing anything except an outline!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Singin' in the Rain, Casablanca, The Birds, To Kill A Mockingbird, and the Frankenstein Family are or will soon be in theaters, usually for just one day. (TCM runs promos on them rather frequently)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Singing in the Rain is over with already, at least here in this part of the country. The Birds is coming on Sept. 19th!