This week on SVENGOOLIE...

knitwit45

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by knitwit45 »

yeah, TCM did two different dates for SITR, I just wanted Red to know there are some really great films being brought to Movie houses by TCM. I saw Casablanca this spring, it was like seeing it for the very first time. Still hope every time I see it that Ilsa will stomp her foot and say, "I decide where and with whom I escape this place!!" :roll: :roll: :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! I know what you mean. How about:

"I'm running off with Emil the croupier. He says he's a Marquis and has an estate in the french countryside where we can be alone."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

yes!!!!!! :roll: :roll:

Holy Moly!!!!!! I was just at Imdb, reading about the lovely Marcel Dalio (Emil) and found out he was married to the beauty who played Yvonne, the jilted lover, in Casablanca!!!! AND, they LIVED the plotline of escaping France, with detours to Mexico City, where they found they had been issued fake passports, almost got sent back to occupied France,and finally were granted asylum in Canada. Talk about irony!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh! NO way! I never knew he was married to Yvonne! I really love her, she's so pretty and she makes me cry during the Marseillaise. Now I have to read up on him too. I always hated the fact that he was this big star in France, then came here and was constantly cast as a croupier or other bit parts.... that must have sucked.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

MoiraFinnie wrote:
This movie (THE BOY WHO CRIED WEREWOLF), directed by the same guy who made the original cheese classic, The Attack of the 50-Foot Woman
Once upon a time, when the Chicago Reader created "Straight Dope," written by Cecil Adams (aka Uncle Cecil), one of Uncle Cecil's multiple personalities was Dave Kehr, then the Reader's film critic, who has gone on to bigger -- but not more fun -- assignments. Something tells me that he had a hand in this week's response to a truly gigantic question.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's hilarious! Thanks for giving us pause.... or extra poundage on our thighs.

Just what we ladies need.... :roll:

:D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

ChiO!!!!!!!!!!!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I'm sorry. If I've muttered it once, I've muttered it 50 (foot) times: This movie lacks a plausible scientific basis. (Unless Nancy is standing in water, which would present a grave risk of an electricutional type given her proximity to those power lines.)

Who’s to blame? The film schools, of course. They spend way too much time on Hitchcock, Kurosawa, and Coppola while Galileo gets short shrift.

Good ol' Uncle Cecil -- fighting ignorance since 1973.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"I'm comin' Beanie ChiO boy!! And I'm bringin' Hitch, Fritz, Borzage, Ernst, Maxie and Orson with me!"

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Stein,

Thank you for inviting me to your wedding. The bride was beautiful! In recent weeks, a boy has cried werewolf, a woman has become invisible, and the forecast at the opera has called for Claude Rains. All these movies, while entertaining, invite criticism. Last night's offering is no easy target. Darkly poetic and starkly dramatic, THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN is as impressive today as it was when I was a child. The elements of threat, captivity and desperation carry the thrilling story to its inescapable climax; a rocket-like pace propelling it all the way.

Beautifully photographed and hauntingly staged, this precisely executed movie wastes not a moment. It's over much too soon! Special effects? Make up? Looks good to me! (1930-what?) Underneath the excitement, this is a story about loneliness. The driving need for a friend, expressed with tender fragility by Mr. Karloff, in the performance of his career. If you've ever felt you were alone in the world, understood by no one, this is your story. Yours can have a happy ending. This one? Well...

It's hard to watch the scene with the blind man and not think of Peter Boyle lighting his own finger in place of a cigar! But put parody aside, and you have first rate filmmaking, cinematic literature, and the finest horror film ever made. Svengoolie may be a nut case. But he has one hell of a library!
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I watched Young Frankenstein with my kids last night. Henry said, "It's going to be hard now watching the originals without thinking of these scenes."

I have to say, though, that despite the rampant silliness, the visuals they constructed in that film really put you in the "brain state" of watching a classic Universal horror film.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]Red[/u] [u]River[/u] wrote:Dear Mr. and Mrs. Stein,

Thank you for inviting me to your wedding...But put parody aside, and you have first rate filmmaking, cinematic literature, and the finest horror film ever made. Svengoolie may be a nut case. But he has one hell of a library!
Red, I gotta tell you, your thank you card above to the Steins was...well...in a word that some of the gals here use:

BRILLIANT!

...And heartfelt.

Yeah I know...that's two words. What are you, counting words now?!

...And clever.

Sheesh! Okay okay...three words! Brother! :roll:

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This week on Svengoolie, Ward Cleaver digs up more than the Rutherfords as John Agar and his archeologists unearth THE MOLE PEOPLE! Don't plan your weekend around this one.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:This week on Svengoolie, Ward Cleaver digs up more than the Rutherfords as John Agar and his archeologists unearth THE MOLE PEOPLE! Don't plan your weekend around this one.
Ha! I fell asleep intermittently during The Mole People last time it was on, but I liked some aspects of it. I set it to record this time.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

DR. CYCLOPS, report to ME TV! DR. CYCLOPS to ME TV! Stat. (The doctor sees patients on Saturday night, 9:00 CST.)