Prometheus

mrsl

Prometheus

Post by mrsl »

I just watched this 2012 sci-fi and can only say - "What a mess"!!! It's a complete theft of ideas from some original Star Trek episodes, Alien I and III, even believe it or not, From the Earth to the Moon, and a little bit of just about every sci-fi movie ever made. Even the monsters are straight out of Alien, and Earth to the Moon. Why in the world Charlize Theron agreed to be apart of this thing is beyond me. She is a brilliant Oscar winning actor and all I can assume is that much of her role was edited out.

It's about a dying man who claims that some ancient writings lead to the theory that aliens created us, but actually he just wants to find out if they know the secret of life and prolonging it. So he funds this huge space ship to be built to go to the planet which is over 2 years travel time away. The crew naturally travels in frozen pods (straight out of the original Khan episode on Star Trek), and WOW the robot who looks just like a human, turns out to be a bad guy (only his name is Dave not Bishop), and can talk even after his body is ripped away from his head. (Sound familiar sci-fi fans?) I THINK the old, dying man is played by Guy Pearce, but the makeup is a really good cover-up. He's the only other name I recognized. I stuck with it for the whole torturous 2 hours thinking "It's got to come into it's own story sooner or later", but I was disappointed. I'm curious about what any of the rest of you think and would welcome your comments.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MikeBSG

Re: Prometheus

Post by MikeBSG »

I have not seen "Prometheus," but I think the consensus view is that the movie is a disappointment. I know it came and went very fast last summer (at least where I live, which might not be the best index.) If you go to youtube, you will find videos by people blasting the film. I think the "Atlantic" film critic hated "Prometheus," and he showed a clip from the movie in which two people try to escape a giant rolling boulder by running in a straight line, instead of trying to veer off to the left or the right, out of the boulder's path. He seemed to think that this summed up the silliness of the movie.

The few defenses I've seen of "Prometheus" run along the lines of "Hey, it isn't a superhero movie." "Isn't it nice to see a SF film ask big questions?" "Maybe if this is a hit, Hollywood will make more serious science fiction movies." None of which really inspire me to see the film.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

For an example of a youtube review, go there and look for "Bad Movie Beatdown: Prometheus."
feaito

Post by feaito »

Anne, I liked the film, but principally because its premise thrills me. It was directed by Ridley Scott, the creator of the Alien and takes place in the same universe as the Alien films, hence the connection; in some way it explains how the "Alien" creatures came to be. I lent the film to my sister and in-laws and they did not like it; they loathed the performances. While not perfect and although I have never liked the Alien films at all, this movie suited me right in spite of its flaws.