Favourite Time Travel Yarns

Joe Macclesfield

Re: Favourite Time Travel Yarns

Post by Joe Macclesfield »

In case anyone wonders why I needed to edit the next to last post "5 times", I didn't. If I click "submit" (while posting on my mobile phone) and nothing seems to happen, I cancel, and click again. Each time I do this it seems to register as another "edit". The sweet vagaries of modern technology!
"...Then as a bee, which among weeds doth fall,
Which seem sweet floures with lustre fresh and gay,
She lights on that, and this, and tasteth all,
But pleasd with none doth rise and sore away..."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

PT - Quantum Leap was my very favorite show for the few years it was on. It was like a throwback to the great early TV era. Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell were just great, and some of the storylines got really complex and serious - best were the tie-ins with other episodes, like the Vietnam era ones where Bakula would show up inside people he knew, or their loved ones, and then discover things that weren't apparent in the previous Vietnam episodes. This gave different and unique perspectives on the characters and on the suffering at war and at home.

I also really liked the humorous twists - especially when you didn't realize that Sam was with or inhabiting someone famous... then at the end of the show you'd gasp on discovering that he was hanging out with Buddy Holly!

Red - I'm glad to know someone else who loved the movie Time After TIme - I think I saw it twice too when it came out. What a great twisty film it is! Lots of humor too, which always helps. Loved the ending.

I can't remember it too well, I've only seen it once, but all this talk about presidents and newsworthy events reminds me of It Happened Tomorrow. Can't remember if time TRAVEL is actually involved, but it does use time and current events in an interesting way.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

a charming vignette with Taylor and Alan Young recreating their original roles.

I'm just glad Young didn't show up with a talking horse! Wendy, I vaguely remember IT HAPPENED TOMORROW. I believe the concept there is predicting the future. A plot very much approved in The Twilight Zone!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh well, I guess It Happened Tomorrow doesn't really fit then. That's OK, I'm sure I can come up with another time travel film.

Galaxy Quest? :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oooh, I thought of two more!

Les Visiteurs, a fairly recent french film about a knight and his lackey who are sent forward in time by a senile old wizard. They encounter modern day problems and their own descendants, who cause more complications.

Roman Scandals - I know, it's a reach! But I like it. :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I can think of several others Twilight Zone episodes involving some form of time travel and many of them were masterpieces! :)
Joe Macclesfield

Yes, Erik, like: THE TROUBLE WITH TEMPLETON, a grand outing for Brian Aherne. Veering to the small screen again, for another favourite with me: TIMELOCK. A fourth season episode of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA. In which, a head-case from the future tries to add "Admiral Nelson" (the great Richard Basehart) to his collection of military figures of the past. P.S. Just dug that out and watched it again--not as much fun as I remembered it to be!
Joe Macclesfield

From TV, to comics(!). Does anyone remember D.C. comics from the '50s--ASTOUNDING STORIES and such like? A good few contained intriguing time-travel yarns (many illustrated by Steve Ditko). One such tale (though not illustrated by Ditko) concerned a character named "Ostro". He worked on a prestigious scientific project. Was always annoying colleagues with boasts about his 17th Century ancestor, "Cagliostro", and his alleged scientific achievements, including the boast that his ancestor had discovered time-travel. Tired of being mocked, he reveals he IS "Cagliostro". Seated in an ornate looking chair, he begins to vanish, admonishing his amazed colleagues: "Fools! I am returning to my 17th Century"!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Joe, I do remember Astounding Stories and I had quite a few of them until my Dad threw them out when I about to move out of his place to mine. I was angry at my Dad for throwing them out and many of them dealt with Time Travel and such ... I got them from a dear British Friend who was a Foreign Exchange Student from Bristol who gave extra copies to me.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Fascinating! I'm not familiar with ASTOUNDING STORIES, but I know similar anthologies by Atlas Comics. Many of the now famous Marvel heroes debuted in TALES TO ASTONISH, JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY and other magazines. I imagine DC titles such as SHOWCASE and THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD were originally in anthology format. Later they became the exclusive territory of regulars like THE FLASH, THE GREEN ARROW and others.

Even as old as I am, I didn't do much reading in the 1950s. Didn't know how! My exposure to this material came much later, and at a MUCH higher price! From 10 cents to $30.00. That's appreciation!
Joe Macclesfield

Erik, I wish I still had my comics. They be collectable now (as R.R. can attest). And, I'd like to enjoy some of those yarns again. The blokes that wrote the stories and the artists who ilustrated them had great imaginations.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Let's build a time machine, go back to 1950, and stock up on comic books! Why didn't I think of this before?
Joe Macclesfield

A smashing idea, RR. "...stock up on comic books!" And: shirts, ties, shoes, pants, sports jackets, books, records....
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:Let's build a time machine, go back to 1950, and stock up on comic books! Why didn't I think of this before?

Make sure that you get you hands on many Number 1 Comics ... Especially Action Comics 1 that was recently sold for (drum roll please)

$3,207,852.00

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/24/ ... 207852-00/

Read the enclosed url for more information ...