Ulmer's THE MAN FROM PLANET X (1951)

Dewey1960

Ulmer's THE MAN FROM PLANET X (1951)

Post by Dewey1960 »

I'm wondering if anyone had a chance to watch or tape Edgar G. Ulmer's bizarre science fiction film THE MAN FROM PLANET X on TCM the other evening.

MAN FROM PLANET X is definitely an acquired taste. I didn't care much for it the first couple of times I saw it. Eventually I developed a fondness for it, possibly borne out of a growing appreciation for many of Ulmer's other films (DETOUR, STRANGE ILLUSION, BLUEBEARD, etc). The mannered dialogue, the beautifully shot scenes along the misty moors--all contribute to a thoroughly unusual viewing experience. It's important to keep in mind that Ulmer's films exist in a galaxy all their own; they simply do not resemble anyone else's.

As a result, I think many people come away from this film a little disappointed because it really doesn't have much in common with the spate of low budget science fiction films which followed all through the 1950s. The deliberate pacing and thoughtful presentation of the material must have seemed like pure torture to younger audiences (who might have stumbled across this film on TV) seeking the type of delirious sensations created by later films like THEM!, EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN and countless others.

In its own peculiar way, THE MAN FROM PLANET X is a remarkably subtle film with a decidedly artistic look. A muddy, inferior print will take you right out of it and reduce the experience to one of boredom and tedium; MGM released an attractive DVD some years back and it's well worth checking out. Like any difficult work of art, it is to be savored under the best possible conditions.
Last edited by Dewey1960 on July 21st, 2007, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Dewey:

That's part of my problem with certain movies and actors. If I see a movie and don't like it, that's it for me. Now I don't mean films I saw as a child, or a teenager, those I will watch again now because I may have had the wrong slant on it then. e.g. the first time I saw 'The Thing' I hated it and didn't see it again until about 5 uears ago. I watched it mainly to see the differences in the re-make and I found I much preferred the original. As a teen, I only saw something that scared me, later I find it's a scientific movie. That's just a base description, but it will serve for now.

When someone urges me to re-watch, and I respect his/her opinion, I will do so, and possibly be glad I listened. But as you said it took a few screenings to make you appreciate it - that's too much for me. I saw Dr Zhivago as an adult, and no amount of telling me it has a great soundtrack or fine acting and directing will make me like that movie. To me it's a mishmash of foolish people doing and saying foolish things. The kind of movie fan I am is I either like it, or I don't. Horror is not a fave of mine so I will rarely re-watch, no matter who does the urging. But if in a genre I like, I will give a movie a second chance.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hi Anne -
With all due respect, I wasn't urging you or anyone else to re-watch THE MAN FROM PLANET X. My own inclination to revisit certain films has more to do with changing or emerging perspectives as they relate to certain film directors, as in the case of Edgar Ulmer, the director of this curious science fiction film.

I had seen MAN FROM PLANET X on television as a teenager and found it to be slow moving and murky; just not my cup of tea. Some years later I saw it at a revival house (it was on a double bill with Hawks' THE THING) and I still found it to be a lackluster affair.

As I recall it now, it wasn't until the mid-70s, when I discovered the film DETOUR (arguably Ulmer's masterpiece) that I decided to give it another shake. I caught up with THE MAN FROM PLANET X again at the Pacific Film Archive in Berkeley where it was screened in a beautiful 35mm print. What a difference! I saw things on the screen that I had not noticed before and, as a result became quite taken with this film. Subsequent viewings (on DVD) have been equally rewarding.

I'm not even remotely suggesting that others should be as dilligent or patient with films, that's strictly a matter of personal choice. For myself, if I can justify a reason to go back, I will. Just the kind of hairpin I am.